Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Drivers caught on mobiles to face €1,000 fine"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

NIMAN wrote: »
    Its a fine line isn't it?

What about using a touchscreen Sat Nav?
    Or eating a chocloate bar with one hand?
    Or reaching over to change radio channels, or get a CD from the passenger seat to put into the CD player?

All take your mind of the task of driving and could potentially be dangerous, yet none of that will get you a 1k fine.

Which is why I'm bricking it any time I'm using the GPS on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

Caliden wrote: »
    Which is why I'm bricking it any time I'm using the GPS on my phone.

Bricking it why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Turtle-TM wrote: »
    Bricking it why?

Because you can be sure the Gard that nabs you will say "I saw you accessing information on your mobile device, no I don't wanna hear it, look save it for court, I will testify that I saw you accessing information and my colleague here will back me up"

Because you can be sure the Gard that nabs you will say "I saw you accessing information on your mobile device, no I don't wanna hear it, look save it for court, I will testify that I saw you accessing information and my colleague here will back me up"

At which point you go to court and have your solicitor ask the gard to read out the legislation pointing to where it makes "accessing information on your phone" an offence.

At which point you go to court and have your solicitor ask the gard to read out the legislation pointing to where it makes "accessing information on your phone" an offence.

Fine, let's edit what I said and insert "the gard saw you fiddle with your phone and will testify that you did whatever it is that is the current offence and his colleague will back him up."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Well, it comes down to whether the judge sides with you or the Garda. Taking a wild guess, I think we can safely say the Garda will have more weight. Legally they do anyway. And again, the judge could just say irregardless, you were driving with undue care and attention by messing with your phone etc. Yes, it ain't fair but such is the world we live in.

On the side of the Gardai, I doubt any Garda has even enacted this legislation as the 'loophole' so to speak is fairly obvious and I doubt any of them want a day in court over it.

I wouldn't fancy my chances in court, no matter how innocent I was.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Well, it comes down to whether the judge sides with you or the Garda. Taking a wild guess, I think we can safely say the Garda will have more weight. Legally they do anyway. And again, the judge could just say irregardless, you were driving with undue care and attention by messing with your phone etc. Yes, it ain't fair but such is the world we live in.

On the side of the Gardai, I doubt any Garda has even enacted this legislation as the 'loophole' so to speak is fairly obvious and I doubt any of them want a day in court over it.

I wouldn't fancy my chances in court, no matter how innocent I was.

That's what appeals and good solicitors are for.

That's what appeals and good solicitors are for.

I hope you have big pockets :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Not one driver prosecuted under new phone law
    Legislation closed loophole allowing motorists to escape fines for texting
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/not-one-driver-prosecuted-under-new-phone-law-1.2122340

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

If you're touching GPS on your phone while driving, then you're using GPS wrong. I use GPS on my phone all the time, never had to touch my phone while driving though. Even been stopped by the Gardai, who saw the phone on with the GPS app open, no problems.
    Changing the channel, eating, etc are not as dangerous in my opinion because they don't take as much concentration and don't take as long, still dangerous but not enough to require legislation, if you're talking while driving your mind is half on the conversation for considerable time. I don't even allow food or drink in my car, but if I was eating it wouldn't take as much concentration, because my mind wouldn't be on the bar or whatever for the whole time I'm eating it.

These tough mobile phone laws should extend to pedestrians too IMO, if you get knocked down while on the phone tough ****, it's your own fault, and you pay for the drivers bonnet and windscreen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

What about the likes of me that talks to himself while driving and then get pullef over for using hands-free.

Admit im crazy or €1000 fine??

Tough choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

you can use it hands free, you just can't text while its in the cradle, it was said people were trying to weasel out of fines in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

So Will that Parrott hands free kit that was fitted in my car be ok...?? this is the greatest load of bo*** Next thing they will be slapping a fine on you for talking to your passenger in the car.. Listening to your radio changing your CD .Ha ha the women wont be able to do there make up ? I think the hands free should be ok, but not to hold the phone in your hands that needs a fine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'm STILL seeing loads of people sauntering along on their mobiles (held up to their ears) in cars.

I was crossing the quays in Dublin at green pedestrian lights and delivery guy nearly mowed me down because he was on his mobile and broke the lights.

Also, seeing cars with drives on their phones in Cork pretty regularly.

There was a big change when the penalty points came in a few years ago but there's definitely been a regression towards dangerous behaviour again.

irish gent wrote: »
    So Will that Parrott hands free kit that was fitted in my car be ok...?? this is the greatest load of bo*** Next thing they will be slapping a fine on you for talking to your passenger in the car.. Listening to your radio changing your CD .Ha ha the women wont be able to do there make up ?

read the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

that's what I thought .

SpaceTime wrote: »
    There was a big change when the penalty points came in a few years ago but there's definitely been a regression towards dangerous behaviour again.

I think the issue was when the original ban came in, the most you could do on a phone was talk and text, and texting on the whole was constrained to the lower age bracket.

That age bracket has now grown up and in addition we now have the likes of fb, SnapChat, IG etc, so holding your phone 24/7 is the norm, so why not do it when driving. The idea of 'always connected' and 'always contactable' is fairly cemented in people's mindset. For example, how often would you be without a phone next to you? Or experienced the panic of not knowing what a notification was? This is frighteningly common in some brackets.

I think you have to learn to throw the phone into your coat pocket / the glove compartment and ignore it.
    Not all that many years ago, people didn't even have mobile phones and somehow we all managed to drive from a to be without endlessly needing to ring people and take calls etc

I got extremely annoyed with a boss a few years ago who used to constantly ring me on my mobile about irrelevant nonsense when she knew I was driving then haul me into meetings about why I was "refusing to take her calls"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The use of phones is still rife I notice. This €1k potential fine is scaring no-one from what I can see on a daily basis.

I just think that people are so addicted to using their phones that they are prepared to take a chance.

Nothing worse than looking at an oncoming driver and seeing their head facing forward and their eyes downwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

NIMAN wrote: »
    The use of phones is still rife I notice. This €1k potential fine is scaring no-one from what I can see on a daily basis.

I just think that people are so addicted to using their phones that they are prepared to take a chance.

Nothing worse than looking at an oncoming driver and seeing their head facing forward and their eyes downwards.

....And of course we mustn't be sexist but I can't help notice that one particular gender seems to be the main offender - especially when it comes to texting at the wheel. Yesterday evening I was out for a walk and as I passed a local junction, one young driver was texting happily in the queue waiting for the lights to change, and as I passed the same junction again 15 mins. later, another driver (same sex) again, busy scrolling through their phone, one eye on the lights, one on their handset. Wonder if a €1,000 fine + three p/points would change their habits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

tippman1 wrote: »
    ....And of course we mustn't be sexist but I can't help notice that one particular gender seems to be the main offender - especially when it comes to texting at the wheel. Yesterday evening I was out for a walk and as I passed a local junction, one young driver was texting happily in the queue waiting for the lights to change, and as I passed the same junction again 15 mins. later, another driver (same sex) again, busy scrolling through their phone, one eye on the lights, one on their handset. Wonder if a €1,000 fine + three p/points would change their habits?

I am afraid I have broken your devilish code. Its women you mean isn't it?

The man part of your username gave it away.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I think you have to learn to throw the phone into your coat pocket / the glove compartment and ignore it.

Absolutely, and I have a hard and fast rule of not using my phone while driving. The issue with the current legislation is its not water tight and hence why I presume its never been invoked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Bio Mech wrote: »
    I am afraid I have broken your devilish code. Its women you mean isn't it?

The man part of your username gave it away.

Well....em..... yes :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

And still no change, convinced there are more people texting/e-mailing and driving than there was before the fine. One person ran a red in front of me this morning , skimmed a ped, didn't even slow, head down and to the side. It was either a stroke or a text. When I was beside them at the next lights for a second (turning right, they were straight ahead) you could clearly see Google going 90 on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Nino Brown wrote: »
    If you're touching GPS on your phone while driving, then you're using GPS wrong. I use GPS on my phone all the time, never had to touch my phone while driving though. Even been stopped by the Gardai, who saw the phone on with the GPS app open, no problems.
    Changing the channel, eating, etc are not as dangerous in my opinion because they don't take as much concentration and don't take as long, still dangerous but not enough to require legislation, if you're talking while driving your mind is half on the conversation for considerable time. I don't even allow food or drink in my car, but if I was eating it wouldn't take as much concentration, because my mind wouldn't be on the bar or whatever for the whole time I'm eating it.

These tough mobile phone laws should extend to pedestrians too IMO, if you get knocked down while on the phone tough ****, it's your own fault, and you pay for the drivers bonnet and windscreen!

People talking have the ability to have both hands on the wheel. People eating a bar or drinking won't have both hands on the wheel.

You might think it requires less concentration but driving with one hand in my opinion is more dangerous.

What hand is holding the bar when changing gears? The left and risk dropping the bar, thus losing your concentration on the road by looking down to the floor, or the right hand, making your hand less able to hold the steering wheel and again potentially dropping said bar.

Not safe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

They usually stop on a bend in the road to take a call.

Problem is, you don't want to blow em off the road, cause you wouldn't stop there yourself unless you're broken down :mad:

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

This 'boss' could call me like 18 times in an hour with inane questions like "do you remember where I put my coat...?"

I actually resigned and got a different job due to it.

under the Road Traffic Act, 2006 (Restriction on Use of Mobile Phones) Regulations, 2014, 2 prosecutions have been initiated as of 1 March 2015
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2015-03-04a.282&s=speaker%3A42+section%3Awrans#g283.q

irishmover wrote: »
    People talking have the ability to have both hands on the wheel. People eating a bar or drinking won't have both hands on the wheel.

You might think it requires less concentration but driving with one hand in my opinion is more dangerous.

What hand is holding the bar when changing gears? The left and risk dropping the bar, thus losing your concentration on the road by looking down to the floor, or the right hand, making your hand less able to hold the steering wheel and again potentially dropping said bar.

Not safe.

Yeah, ever dropped an ice cream on the floor or a cigarette in your lap while driving? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Yeah, ever dropped an ice cream on the floor or a cigarette in your lap while driving? :D

Oh the cigarette falling between your legs is a dose !

Bullocks wrote: »
    Oh the cigarette falling between your legs is a dose !

the new Road Traffic bill 2015 is starting to see the light of day

use of smartphones is coming up among many other issues, putting the earlier Secondary Instrument into primary legislation

they published the Regulatory Impact Analysis http://www.dttas.ie/roads/publications/english/road-traffic-bill-2015-general-scheme
    Penalty Points
    The proposed changes to penalty point offences arise from the Department’s 2012
    review of the penalty points system and from subsequent advances in the legislation
    on use of mobile phones.
    Option 1 – No Change
    This would mean that the offences referred to in the Bill did not entail penalty points.
    Option 2 – Implement the Proposed Changes.
    Implementing the proposed changes will facilitate highlighting the offences in
    question and increasing public awareness of them. As such it will have a beneficial
    effect in reducing risk on our roads.
    Cost: There is no exchequer cost in either Option. There is a social cost in Option 1.
    The penalty points system has proven to have a positive impact on driver awareness
    of dangerous behaviour, and a deterrent effect on offences. This would not be
    achieved in the case of the offences in question if nothing were done.
    Benefit: There is no benefit to Option 1. Option 2 would provide benefit for road
    safety insofar as it would involve drawing attention to the offences in question and
    providing a stronger deterrent.
    Option 2 is therefore the preferred Option.

from page 10

and this one is about legislating
    (d) Tighter restrictions on use of electronic communications while driving;
    Option 1 – No Change
    Present legislation making it an offence to hold a mobile phone while driving and to
    text from a hands-free device would be the only legislation against use of
    communications devices while driving.
    Option 2 – Outright Ban on Use of Electronic Communications while Driving
    Use of all electronic communications devices while driving would be banned.
    Option 3 – Regulate use of Electronic Communications while Driving
    There would be a facility to use some electronic communications devices while
    driving, while others would be banned.
    Cost: There is no Exchequer cost involved in any of these Options. Nor is there any
    cost to the travelling public.
    Benefit: Given that driver distraction is a major cause of road traffic collisions, and
    given the monetary as well as human cost of death and serious injury (the estimated
    cost for one life lost is €2.58 million), any measure which can have a positive effect in
    reducing road risk has a financial as well as a social benefit. Options 2 and 3 would
    therefore have distinct benefits. While Option 2 might be preferable in a purist sense
    in the longer term, a blanket ban (except for emergencies) might be seen as a step too
    far at present.
    Option 2 is therefore the preferred Option 3. This does not rule out further action in
    future.

page 13 I think thats a mistake and they mean preferred option is Option 3?

and it was discussed in committee https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?id=2015-04-16a.773 we should be able to read it if its being discussed in committee :/

Mr. Fintan Towey DOT I will now deal with the distracted driving provisions. Essentially, this relates to instances where drivers are driving while using mobile technology. There is already an offence in legislation since 2006 relating to holding a phone while driving. Since 2014, an additional provision has been introduced to regulations which relates to texting and issuing a short message service, SMS, on a cradle-borne device. That is provided for in secondary legislation. What we are doing now is an integrated provision, setting out all the prohibitions in primary legislation relating to the use of electronic devices while driving. It will incorporate both existing provisions with respect to holding a phone and also the use of hands in interacting with a mobile device that is cradle-borne.

We are expanding the penalty points provision in order to cover the issues I have referred to with regard to distracted driving and the use of electronic devices while driving.
    Noel Harrington (Cork South West, Fine Gael)
    Regarding the distracted driving section in the Bill, the Garda has stated that it is difficult to bring a prosecution for texting, for example. Under this legislation, however, even texting on a device in a handheld cradle will be covered. Increasingly, mobile telephones in cradles are being used as satellite navigation devices. Insurance companies use applications to gauge driving behaviour, particularly of younger drivers, with a view to providing discounts, for example, Aviva. The departmental officials referred to SMS messaging, but there is more to the issue. Will we reach the point of having to proscribe many different mobile telephone processes or applications? When one starts listing things, one leaves out others. What are the officials' opinions in this regard?
    Mr. Fintan Towey DOT In regard to the issue of distracted driving as a result of the use of mobile communications and the difficulties that arise in that respect, it is important to point out that in terms of road safety this has been identified as a significant issue. As such, it is incumbent upon us to introduce whatever measures we can to bring about changes in driver behaviour, in particular in regard to the use of mobile devices.

In 2014, there were approximately 30,000 instances of offences in relation to the holding of a mobile telephone by drivers, in respect of which penalties were imposed. I understand there are a small number of prosecutions pending in relation to drivers texting while driving. It is true that it is difficult to detect and prosecute that offence. The month after the introduction of the regulations in regard to texting while driving the number of offences relating to the holding of a mobile phone while driving was approximately 5,000. This decreased to 2,000 in the following month. As such, the regulations had a significant deterrent effect.

It is true that technology continues to evolve. Following the introduction of the regulations there was an increase in FMS messaging, which is traditional texting. There are many new communication possibilities through various applications, such as WhatsApp, Viber, Facebook and so on. Our objective is to try to prevent drivers interacting, using their hands, with mobile devices while driving and to encourage the use of cradle born devices such as a SatNav. Use of a SatNav involves entering data regarding the trip into the device prior to driving, after which SatNav voice commands takeover, with a driver having to glance only occasionally at the screen. There is no interaction by hand once the SatNav has been set up. That is the track we are going, although I do not think anybody would suggest that that is perfect. The issue of people using mobile devices while driving has been identified as a safety issue and is one that we need to try to tackle.

the SI last year from the op link was all "Mandatory court summons and a fine under new road safety regulations" http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/drivers-caught-on-mobiles-to-face-1-000-fine-1.1759612
    so what is it they are proposing now, we await the bill :/

so the option of penalty points will now be added into the primary legislation?

also in SBP behind paywall under
    Drivers to get penalty points for surfing smartphones
    http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Drivers+to+get+penalty+points+for+surfing+smartphones/id/3ba82cd2-edaf-4135-b4e7-9b05a1eafa21
    03:55, 19 April 2015 by Michael Brennan

• Advertisement

@expectationlost, classic example of uneducated and misinformed elected powers making decisions on articles they don't understand :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

irishmover wrote: »

Not safe.

You're right. One hand on the wheel is less safe than 2. Talking on the phone has a psychological effect of reducing concentration. It splits attention more that talking to someone who is present in the car.

You can be watching the road with 2 hands on the wheel and talking on hands free and it has been found to result in slower reactions than not talking or talking to someone in the car.

Texting or googling are different to talking as they require you to look away from the road as well as splitting your attention.

This is a good law in principal and should be enforced even if it needs to be cleaned up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Tried using google talk last week.

Press the button on my blue tooth ear piece twice and say "OK GOOGLE".

Then "CALL 082 773 7789"

After my 10 attempt and stress levels getting very high. I pulled over and used the keypad.

These apps have a long way to go before we become truly hands free. There is an onis on app companies to develop hands free services alongside the other crap they sell.
    Sitting on my lofty seat all day in traffic, the amount of people I see texting at 80mph is quite scary.
    Quick glances to the road every few 100 feet is a tragedy waiting to happen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I use Ford Sync and have to say it's generally excellent.

Voice dialling works well, and I can even play tunes from the mobile through the stereo wirelessly, and voice control the artists/tracks.

@expectationlost, classic example of uneducated and misinformed elected powers making decisions on articles they don't understand :(

which bit in particular? you reckon they do mean option 3

• Advertisement

Siri works very well although she can get q bit sarcastic at times!

Head 20 - Restriction on Use of Electronic Communications Devices while Driving
    Provide that –

The use of electronic devices to send or read text messages, to use smartphone apps or to
    connect with the internet or access social media while driving a mechanically propelled
    vehicle or an animal-drawn vehicle on a public road is prohibited.
    Explanatory Note

Section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 2006 prohibits holding a mobile phone while driving. The
    same section permits the Minister to make regulations for a number of other situations
    regarding electronic communications, including uses of a mobile phone other than when it is
    held. The latter power has been used to prohibit text from a hands-free mobile phone while
    driving.

However, technology has advanced rapidly in this area, and is likely to do so in future.
    Information and communications technology can, if used in conjunction with driving, create a
    serious risk of distraction and therefore of accident.

The Department has considered the best way in which to address the rapidly changing
    information and communications technology environment and the risk it poses to driving.
    While it is difficult to cover all possible present and future technologies, the Department has
    decided to act to eliminate all texting and internet access via the present amendment. The
    intention is that contacting emergency services would be exempt.

This will involve extending prohibitions under the law to use of various smartphone apps, as
    well as extend the coverage of the law to other kinds of devices, e.g. tablets, as well as mobile
    phones.

http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/publications/roads/english/road-traffic-bill-2015-general-scheme/general-scheme-road-traffic-bill-2015-pdf.pdf

not much clarification on the General scheme of the 2015 bill

although they said in committee they are not going to ban use of GPS, that's a difficult thing to word.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95142553&postcount=336

The use of electronic devices to send or read text messages, to use smartphone apps or to
    connect with the internet

If you want to be extremely pedantic, that bans the use of Google Maps and Apple Maps as both connect to the Internet. It would also ban the use of OBD2 Apps. It would also ban all streaming services such as Pandora and Spotify.

Absolute nonsense. You can't ban internet usage in a car, the world is moving that direction. Better enforcement needed, not grey areas.

If you want to be extremely pedantic, that bans the use of Google Maps and Apple Maps as both connect to the Internet. It would also ban the use of OBD2 Apps. It would also ban all streaming services such as Pandora and Spotify.

Absolute nonsense. You can't ban internet usage in a car, the world is moving that direction. Better enforcement needed, not grey areas.

it says restriction not banning

and as I just said the DOT said they weren't going to ban GPS

it says restriction not banning

and as I just said the DOT said they weren't going to ban GPS

But most, if not all, GPS systems connect to the internet on some level i.e. They exchange data frames with the network. How is that different from Facebook or SnapChat? It isn't. Both are visually distracting to the user. However, if they actually enforced the 'must be a cradle' clause, and perhaps added an ear bud ban, I feel it would be a far better solution.

You cannot say on one hand that GPS is ok and the likes of FB is banned. Sure myself and the rest of the App developers will make a fortune making Apps look like GPS Apps but are actually for social interaction :pac:

But most, if not all, GPS systems connect to the internet on some level i.e. They exchange data frames with the network. How is that different from Facebook or SnapChat? It isn't. Both are visually distracting to the user. However, if they actually enforced the 'must be a cradle' clause, and perhaps added an ear bud ban, I feel it would be a far better solution.

You cannot say on one hand that GPS is ok and the likes of FB is banned. Sure myself and the rest of the App developers will make a fortune making Apps look like GPS Apps but are actually for social interaction :pac:

you can read back through the thread to see the current law, the sky hasn't fallen in

they said they are going to restrict electronic communication devices and not ban GPS, thats their intention we await the detail https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?id=2015-04-16a.773
    Mr. Fintan Towey DOT Our objective is to try to prevent drivers interacting, using their hands, with mobile devices while driving and to encourage the use of cradle born devices such as a SatNav. Use of a SatNav involves entering data regarding the trip into the device prior to driving, after which SatNav voice commands takeover, with a driver having to glance only occasionally at the screen. There is no interaction by hand once the SatNav has been set up. That is the track we are going, although I do not think anybody would suggest that that is perfect. The issue of people using mobile devices while driving has been identified as a safety issue and is one that we need to try to tackle.

there is also a general distracted driving law that can be used at any time, someone is driving distracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

one young driver was texting happily in the queue waiting for the lights to change, and as I passed the same junction again 15 mins. later, another driver (same sex) again, busy scrolling through their phone
    To confirm; both were doing this whilst the car was stopped, yes?
    Tried using google talk last week.

Press the button on my blue tooth ear piece twice and say "OK GOOGLE".

Then "CALL 082 773 7789"

After my 10 attemp
    I find any app that you don't have to "train" to understand you, is often useless at understanding you.

they published the Regulatory Impact Analysis http://www.dttas.ie/roads/publications/english/road-traffic-bill-2015-general-scheme

(d) Tighter restrictions on use of electronic communications while driving;
    Option 1 – No Change
    Present legislation making it an offence to hold a mobile phone while driving and to
    text from a hands-free device would be the only legislation against use of
    communications devices while driving.
    Option 2 – Outright Ban on Use of Electronic Communications while Driving
    Use of all electronic communications devices while driving would be banned.
    Option 3 – Regulate use of Electronic Communications while Driving
    There would be a facility to use some electronic communications devices while
    driving, while others would be banned.
    Cost: There is no Exchequer cost involved in any of these Options. Nor is there any
    cost to the travelling public.
    Benefit: Given that driver distraction is a major cause of road traffic collisions, and
    given the monetary as well as human cost of death and serious injury (the estimated
    cost for one life lost is €2.58 million), any measure which can have a positive effect in
    reducing road risk has a financial as well as a social benefit. Options 2 and 3 would
    therefore have distinct benefits. While Option 2 might be preferable in a purist sense
    in the longer term, a blanket ban (except for emergencies) might be seen as a step too
    far at present.
    Option 2 is therefore the preferred Option 3. This does not rule out further action in
    future.

page 13 I think thats a mistake and they mean preferred option is Option 3?

confirmed its a typo, option 3 is the preferred option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Why would you be allowed to use either while driving?

they are continueing to discuss General Scheme of Road Traffic Bill 2015 over several sessions https://www.kildarestreet.com/search/?s=General+Scheme+of+Road+Traffic+Bill+2015
    Another issue addressed is the use of mobile phones while driving, which is a perennial problem. We do not yet know how to keep up with technology in terms of legislation. It is proposed that under this Bill it will be an offence to use any type of electronic device for a data input exercise. In other words, it does not matter if it is a SatNav, tablet or something not mentioned in current legislation, it will be an offence to use a connected device to obtain information while driving. This will close off loopholes in current law and will probably be a good provision.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?id=2015-04-22a.1586&s=General+Scheme+of+Road+Traffic+Bill+2015

"a data input exercise" so don't be inputting new address into your satnav while driving?

• Advertisement
Advertisement