Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 4 Episode 2 "The Lion and the Rose" : *HAVE* read the books

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

They really need to speed his story up. All the casual show watchers just groan every time he comes on screen. What's interesting is that they've pretty much shown most of his arc in the first 2 episodes. If they want him meeting Bloodraven as the finale (which is possible) then I can't see how they'll keep the viewers attention until then. Something needs to be done to develop that plot.

Having said that, in ASOS part II all of the action was in KL so if they want to keep it there then by all means carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

They really need to speed his story up. All the casual show watchers just groan every time he comes on screen. What's interesting is that they've pretty much shown most of his arc in the first 2 episodes. If they want him meeting Bloodraven as the finale (which is possible) then I can't see how they'll keep the viewers attention until then. Something needs to be done to develop that plot.

Having said that, in ASOS part II all of the action was in KL so if they want to keep it there then by all means carry on.
    Roose has sent Locke north to look for Bran and Rickon.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The more I watch the show, the more my memories of the book become fuddled with watching the show :o

As far as I remember, this did not happen in the books (I'm 90% sure but wouldn't bet my life on it :P). Can anyone confirm this?

If it didn't happen in the books, then this arc could be pretty interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

The more I watch the show, the more my memories of the book become fuddled with watching the show :o

As far as I remember, this did not happen in the books (I'm 90% sure but wouldn't bet my life on it :P). Can anyone confirm this?

If it didn't happen in the books, then this arc could be pretty interesting.

Yeah me too.

Locke wasn't in the books, it was Vargo Hoat who took Jaimes hand, threw Brienne to the bear etc.. But she bit off his ear while he tried to rape her and he died a festering death so presumably here Locke is taking on someone else's role as well as Vargo Hoats, can't think of who right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The only person I remember being sent after Bran and Rickon was Davos. I don't remember Ramsay ever mentioning it to anybody although I have no idea why

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The only person I remember being sent after Bran and Rickon was Davos. I don't remember Ramsay ever mentioning it to anybody although I have no idea why
    Same and that was much later but as I said, at this stage the books and show are starting to merge! If I recall, Davos was sent after Rickon and I think some fat guy had something to do with it? I know that Rickon never had a POV and once he separated from Bran we never really knew what happened to him.

Same and that was much later but as I said, at this stage the books and show are starting to merge! If I recall, Davos was sent after Rickon and I think some fat guy had something to do with it? I know that Rickon never had a POV and once he separated from Bran we never really knew what happened to him.

Manderly sent him, in exchange for his life. I can't remember how Manderly knew though ...

I fail to see how that's relevant. As far as I can remember that didn't happen in the books and it's going to be a futile quest for Locke anyway and pretty much a waste of time, something viewers are not fond of. As for Rickon, I really haven't got a clue what they're gonna do about him. Better off delaying as much as possible until we get a decisive answer from TWoW, even then Rickon would be about 5 or 6 so he has to be re-cast.

I do think it will be pretty cool when Tyrion finally meets Dany and if Davos rescues Rickon, it'll tie everything together very nicely for the viewers but that seems to be years away at the moment.

Manderly sent him, in exchange for his life. I can't remember how Manderly knew though ...
    Didn't Manderly (thanks for the name) somehow capture Davos and go to great lengths to make people think he had hung him or something? With people thinking he was dead (and also thinking Rickon was dead) they would never suspect dead onion knight was looking for dead Stark kid.

Wasn't Manderly on opposite sides to Stannis and while Davos wasn't as anal as Stannis, he was very loyal. What convinced him to switch sides?

• Advertisement

I fail to see how that's relevant. As far as I can remember that didn't happen in the books and it's going to be a futile quest for Locke anyway and pretty much a waste of time, something viewers are not fond of. As for Rickon, I really haven't got a clue what they're gonna do about him. Better off delaying as much as possible until we get a decisive answer from TWoW, even then Rickon would be about 5 or 6 so he has to be re-cast.
    Me too :P

I was responding to someone who said that Bran's story needed to become more interesting and I pointed out that the Locke was sent after him.

Some things that happened in the show which didn't happen in the books turned out to be brilliant. The Arya vs Tywin scenes spring to mind.

Only time will tell if there if Locke going on a mission to the North (which is a deviation from the books) pays off.

Didn't Manderly (thanks for the name) somehow capture Davos and go to great lengths to make people think he had hung him or something? With people thinking he was dead (and also thinking Rickon was dead) they would never suspect dead onion knight was looking for dead Stark kid.

Wasn't Manderly on opposite sides to Stannis and while Davos wasn't as anal as Stannis, he was very loyal. What convinced him to switch sides?

Manderly is on Stannis's side. He hates the Freys. In the book Ramsay is happy because the Karstarks are with Stannis but with Ramsay, whereas the Manderlys are with Ramsay in Winterfell but with Stannis … if you know what I mean ;)

Still can't remember how Manderly knew about Rickon though … anybody?

Manderly is on Stannis's side. He hates the Freys. In the book Ramsay is happy because the Karstarks are with Stannis but with Ramsay, whereas the Manderlys are with Ramsay in Winterfell but with Stannis … if you know what I mean ;)

Wasn't it someone who survived Theon's taking of Winterfell that told him? I can't remember exactly but it was something like that.

edit: Yeah it's in the wiki:

"Most of Westeros believes him dead, but Wyman Manderly and Robett Glover learn from Wex Pyke, a survivor of the Sack of Winterfell, that Rickon Stark is alive. Wex tells them - via writing since he cannot speak - that Rickon and a woman fled to the island of Skagos."

Ya I get it now. Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Haha, did anyone else spot Roose Bolton nearly walking into a wall thinking it was a door? Surprised an error like that could make it past editing these days. Happens just after Ramsay shakes hands with Locke as they move inside the Dreadfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

bur wrote: »
    Haha, did anyone else spot Roose Bolton nearly walking into a wall thinking it was a door? Surprised an error like that could make it past editing these days. Happens just after Ramsay shakes hands with Locke as they move inside the Dreadfort.
    Sometimes they (all editors) allow these little near mistakes into the final cut to make it look more natural apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Afair Theon's squire (Wex?) climbed a tree in the Godswood and hid while Ramsey et al were razing Winterfell and saw them coming out of hiding and making plans. No recollection of how he found his way to Whiteharbour.

I'm disappointed that they seem to be scrapping the Davos going to Skagos storyline, I was looking forward to seeing unicorns and cannibals. I believe Oscha and Rickon were on their way to the Last Hearth to seek refuge with the Umbers in the book, and they seem to be combining the Thenns with the Skagosians.

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Afair Theon's squire (Wex?) climbed a tree in the Godswood and hid while Ramsey et al were razing Winterfell and saw them coming out of hiding and making plans. No recollection of how he found his way to Whiteharbour.

I'm disappointed that they seem to be scrapping the Davos going to Skagos storyline, I was looking forward to seeing unicorns and cannibals. I believe Oscha and Rickon were on their way to the Last Hearth to seek refuge with the Umbers in the book, and they seem to be combining the Thenns with the Skagosians.

I doubt they're scrapping it, it's just far too early. Stannis and Davos haven't even reached the wall yet, and then Davos has to go to White Harbour where he's held captive for ages. His mission to Skagos will probably season 6 or there abouts

I doubt they're scrapping it, it's just far too early. Stannis and Davos haven't even reached the wall yet, and then Davos has to go to White Harbour where he's held captive for ages. His mission to Skagos will probably season 6 or there abouts

Of course, I just assumed that Locke was taking on that role too but he's not even from the same side. Plenty of scope for Skagos in the future :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I assumed Lockes new plotline was gonna be a plot device to reveal to the manderleys that Bran and Rickon are still alive. That could be a way to bring the "northern conspiracy" into the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Surely Olenna poisoning the jug at the table could have killed her granddaughter too, is there something I'm missing here?

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    Olenna poisoning the jug at the table could have killed her granddaughter too, is there something I'm missing here?
    She didn't poison the jug, she put the poison in his cup.

She didn't poison the jug, she put the poison in his cup.

They were sharing the cup, which makes me think that Margery must have been in on it too- she makes a point of publicly drinking from the cup so that she and the Tyrells are beyond suspicion, then QoT spikes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Renly dwarf wasn't riding Brienne he was riding Ser Loras, you even get a Loras reaction shot.

How is Locke supposed to go after Bran? He has no way of knowing they passed through the wall.

That reminds me of something that always bugged me about the books and the show, during Shay, Tyrions and Bronns drinking game, it's revealed that Bronns been north of the wall but we never hear anything else about it, good idea for a Dunc and Egg short story...

Advertisement