Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New magnetless Garmin Cadence/Speed sensors

• 12-04-2014 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭

Spotted it in the dcrainmakers preview of the edge 1000 not a whole lot of info but they interest me more than the edge1000. My gsc10 drives me mad mine eats batteries and is very temperamental with positioning of the magnets.

Work using accelerometers, Three versions cadence only, speed only and speed/cadence. Can't figure out how the combo one would work would have thought separate sensors were needed for the wheel and crank. Hopefully better than the magnet based one.
    Powermeter would be better but I've blown my budget for that for the minute.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/04/garmin-edge-1000.html#new-ant-speedcadencecombo-sensors-out-front-mount

Bike-Speed-and-Cadence-Sensors.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Anyone know where to get replacement bands for the cadence one of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I had the original GSC10 for speed & cadence, but like many others have found it really wasn't up to scratch.

I have been using the GPS for speed for the last while. As I have a PM I don't need cadence anymore.

Would there be any point getting the speed one as I always find the GPS to be less than reliable. Overall it doesn't make much difference but it does seem like a nice solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

Ryath wrote: »
    Spotted it in the dcrainmakers preview of the edge 1000 not a whole lot of info but they interest me more than the edge1000. My gsc10 drives me mad mine eats batteries and is very temperamental with positioning of the magnets.

Work using accelerometers, Three versions cadence only, speed only and speed/cadence. Can't figure out how the combo one would work would have thought separate sensors were needed for the wheel and crank. Hopefully better than the magnet based one.
    Powermeter would be better but I've blown my budget for that for the minute.

How many km's are you getting out of a battery? I've about 4,500 km on the same battery for my GSC10?

As for magnet positioning.....No issues there either (admittedly after a few teething problems)
    I just lined it up the same as in the picture on page 27 of the Edge 500 manual (attached). The magnet positioned at opposite the end of the sensor arm. Once i did that I never had a minutes bother with it (touch wood!!):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

there's no combo sensor.. yeah the speed and cadence are sold separately but the combo is just both sensors shipped in the one box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

G1032 wrote: »
    How many km's are you getting out of a battery? I've about 4,500 km on the same battery for my GSC10?

Depends I've killed cheap batteries in a week or two even duracell ones only last a month at most. I mostly only need it on the turbo for trainerroad so don't use it much. I have no bother setting it up but changing battery does move it and need to get it positioned just right. It's only ever once moved mid ride and started hitting spokes. I'll eventually get a power meter though which is why I haven't bothered spending money on the new model.
    there's no combo sensor.. yeah the speed and cadence are sold separately but the combo is just both sensors shipped in the one box.

Look at the date of the op. I'm well aware of that now at the time there was no info out there beyond that picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Look at the date of the op. I'm well aware of that now at the time there was no info out there beyond that picture.

Also a long time to be making excuses for not buying a power meter ;)

Ain't none of us getting any younger, or stronger! :D

Advertisement