Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PME (professional masters in education)

Options
  • 12-04-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I just accepted my offer to Galway for the PME. I'm very excited! I thought it would be a good idea to set up a thread here so people doing the course in september can meet and talk about stuff!

One thing that is annoying me at the moment is trying to organize the teaching practice. I have rang a couple schools and they said to send an email with my cV. have done that and havent heard anything back. Im wondering has anyone got it organized yet? or is everyone in the same boat as meeeeee?!

Hope to hear from some of you!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LeatherDavy

Hey Roxy!

I was acccepted too and rang up my old school and they had no bother taking me in. Did u try that?

Dunno what we're getting ourselves into giving that its two years, double the fee's and not great job prospects at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rocking_roxy

Hi,

I'm from kilkenny, so I can't ask my old school to take me. Having serious trouble finding somewhere who will take people who aren't past students. Stressed to the hilt!

Yeah it's very bad how expensive it is. Going to be stone cold broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 donnabyrnes

Hi,

I'm from kilkenny, so I can't ask my old school to take me. Having serious trouble finding somewhere who will take people who aren't past students. Stressed to the hilt!

Yeah it's very bad how expensive it is. Going to be stone cold broke!

hi guys!

im wondering if you can give me a bit of advice for the PME interview? like whatsoet of q's come up?
    not really worried about the personality one but more so the subject specific?
    i have a lot riding on getting a place so really need to pass the interview and ive heard theres a written assignment during the interveiw so i am really really nervous!

thanks for anything in advance!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rocking_roxy

hi guys!

im wondering if you can give me a bit of advice for the PME interview? like whatsoet of q's come up?
    not really worried about the personality one but more so the subject specific?
    i have a lot riding on getting a place so really need to pass the interview and ive heard theres a written assignment during the interveiw so i am really really nervous!

thanks for anything in advance!

D

Where are you applying? most colleges dont do interviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BonCourage

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place, but Im sure somebody can help me. Applied for all the NUIs for the PME, have always wanted to be a teach- understand all the problems fully. But still, it's a career that I would be comfortable and passionate about!!! Based on 2015 points, I will have 43 points on the PAC system, do you guys think that that'll be good enough for Maynooth or UCD! (Or galway or Cork for that matter!!!)

Thanks so so so much for your help- Didn't apply for DCU for some dumb reason- my college work got the better of me. Am gonna apply for trinity too :)

Thanks again!

BC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Nooneyyy

Hey,

With 43 points you should easily get a place in most colleges, bar Maynooth as its points tends to fluctuate. I'm currently in my first year of the PME in UCD so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Regards.

Class! UCD is my first option, would you recommend it? Is it tough like? And is it really as hard to get placements as people say? Should I even be doing something now to do it!!

UCD is an excellent college but the course can be very tedious sometimes, but all the PME's in Ireland seem to be the same way. I won't lie, some of the modules are pointless and after the a few weeks attendance levels plummeted, however the tutorials and special methods (the subjects you will teach) are excellent as they focus on practical methods of teaching.

Again I won't lie, it can be a very hard course, not necessarily cause the modules are hard but because you will literally always have something to do, we do four days a week in school and two evenings and one full day in college so there is a lot of travelling back and forth. Plus the never-ending amount of lesson plans and the constant threat of an inspection.

Placement depends on where you are looking, try your old school first, I contacted mine and within an hour I had my placement secured. Other people however we could not get placement in their own school really struggled, I talked to a few people who contacted dozens of school in person and still didn't get anything. One girl didn't get placement until late October (Remember there are also Maynooth, DCU, Trinity and Hibernia students looking for place) so my advice is, the earlier you start the better, also is doesn't have to be in Dublin, i'm teaching in Meath and it only takes me and hour to get to college, while it takes others an hour just to get across the city.

Hope this information helps, if you think of anything else just ask, when you get to college you will realise that the actual course does not matter that much, I love the actual teaching element and I think that kinda keeps you going through all the stress of the course.

Regards.

Thanks so so so so much for all that information, I appreciate it so much! Im doing my undergrad in UCD, and literally love it and want to spend as much time as possible here- it just has such a university vibe about it.

I suppose on a practical level, what years are you teaching? Like I assume it's first, fourth and maybe second years? I do music and Irish! I've heard that music is tough to get placement for - is it possible to do your placement over one subject?

Thanks so much for this help by the way :) Really grateful!

BC

BonCourage wrote: »
    Thanks so so so so much for all that information, I appreciate it so much! Im doing my undergrad in UCD, and literally love it and want to spend as much time as possible here- it just has such a university vibe about it.

I suppose on a practical level, what years are you teaching? Like I assume it's first, fourth and maybe second years? I do music and Irish! I've heard that music is tough to get placement for - is it possible to do your placement over one subject?

Thanks so much for this help by the way :) Really grateful!

BC

I teach first and second tears, but there are a few people teaching other years , one girl I talked to even has sixth years! It just kinda depends on the schools needs. Not sure about music but as far as I know the subject makes very little difference to whether you get placemnent or not.

You need to have one primary subject, for example mine is history, so most of the classes I teach are history but I still have to have one geography class to teach.

Regards
    AN

• Advertisement

class, thanks so much for your advice! I really really appreciaite it!!!

BC

Hey everyone, applied for TCD PME, and just wondering if anyone knows when we find out if we get an interview! Haven't heard anything back, neither have any of my friends who I applied!

Thanks in advance!

BonCourage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kellieplum

I emailed Trinity to ask when we would hear back and this is what they said....

"Applicants are being shortlisted for interview and will be notified by email shortly. It is hoped that the interviews will start at the beginning of March"

Thanks a mill! Kind of nervous! Hopefully we get an interview!

No problem. Hopefully we will hear soon, the longer it takes the more nervous I'm getting.

Exactly, I would love trinity or ucd! That would be the ideal for me! What are your subjects??

English is my main subject and then either religion or cspe, not sure yet. What about you? Trinity is the only placed I applied for so fingers crossed.

Music and Irish! Fingers crossed for me too. Everytime I check my email I get so anxious haha! Thanks for the info, good luck, never know we could be in same course next year 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 10 StephC2103

Hi all, I've applied for the pme for the coming year. Does anyone know what time on April 1st the offers are sent out? Finding it hard to find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Flumpmuncher

Any tips on the interview for english and politics and society, or in general?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ezrahidaya

We are in the same boat.

Advertisement