Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feral scum attack temple bar cafe owner for no reason (CCTV footage)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

It's not just in Temple Bar, I had my car broken into on quiet side street off Georges' Street a street a few months back, read an article recently about a man who suffered a serious assault and it was on same street. So I think I got away lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

City centre is tiny in comparison to other capital cities. Dublin is a big tourist destination which is key to the national economy. Shouldn't be that hard to police effectively? I can imagine some major damage has been done to its reputation following recent goings on.

What do you want them to do honestly?

They can't just round them up and ship then off, even if they tell them to move on they'll just congregate somewhere else unless the Gardai trail after them and make sure they leave the area.

Resources just aren't there for that. I know several Gardai and they have all told me they're despondent because they catch lads and they're back out on the streets within hours/days. They're pissing against the wind in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Do the people in charge of this country at the top of policing and the judiciary not see what is going on? Honestly? Are they really this far removed from reality?

I'm a Dub. Big enough guy, able to defend myself but I find Dublin CC well dodgy nowadays and I would hate to be tourist especially on the northside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Blay wrote: »
    What do you want them to do honestly?

They can't just round them up and ship then off, even if they tell them to move on they'll just congregate somewhere else unless the Gardai trail after them and make sure they leave the area.

Resources just aren't there for that. I know several Gardai and they have all told me they're despondent because they catch lads and they're back out on the streets within hours/days. They're pissing against the wind in most cases.

Garda recruitment has started back again. I would like to see more of a Garda pesence on the city streets. I would also like them to take a less tolerant approach with the scumbags as they obviously are not afraid of the Gardai. Moving methadone clinics out of the city centre will also help.

Its my capital city, I walk through it every day and it angers and saddens me what is happening to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

jane82 wrote: »
    Maybe a file is on the way to the dpp.

No. That would be released on bail with a charge.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

There at 13,159 Gardai. Sure, they have to cover the whole country, but there should be 10 minimum on 24/7 foot patrol around the city centre. Maybe there already are but I've never seen them. We can identify obvious trouble in seconds: why can't they?

Garda recruitment has started back again. I would like to see more of a Garda pesence on the city streets. I would also like them to take a less tolerant approach with the scumbags as they obviously are not afraid of the Gardai. Moving methadone clinics out of the city centre will also help.

Its my capital city, I walk through it every day and it angers and saddens me what is happening to it.

The numbers that have been recruited will only fill the shoes of those that have retired/resigned since the last recruitment drive, even then the force won't be as effective as it was then because of the lower number of cars etc. in the fleet now.

Atm Gardai are arresting lads, putting them into the system and by the time they've moved on to the next lad the other one is on his way back out onto the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    There at 13,159 Gardai. Sure, they have to cover the whole country, but there should be 10 minimum on 24/7 foot patrol around the city centre. Maybe there already are but I've never seen them. We can identify obvious trouble in seconds: why can't they?

I have no experience in law enforcement, but if you want a police presence able to identify and address a majority of crimes if D1/D2, it would probably take much more than 10.

Maybe because you haven't got a list of calls the length of your arm to see to.

It's easy to see someone doing something and say 'Where are the guards?', the answer is; Probably dealing with the same sh1t elsewhere in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Just caught this story in the Indo

:mad:

You'd think there would be more Gardai around Temple Bar (the busiest tourist area in our Capital) to get a handle on these feral animals...

Also, I see it mentioned that those toe-rags who were caught on camera assaulting that Brazillian man on Paddy's day got released without charge - great little country to live in if you're a dangerous scumbag, it seems... :mad:

Jasus that one bad camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

sopretty wrote: »
    You'd wonder who is rearing these delinquents?

Equally delinquent parents. Awful....I think the Gardai can only do so much. There are very few Gardai patrolling the streets - it's a bit of a joke that people caught using a mobile in cars will be fined - WHO will catch them?

It's such a shame, but Ireland has becoming a rougher, more lawless society than the one I grew up in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭3mm

S0crates wrote: »
    Every one of those little pieces if human filth that can be identified should literally be locked up and the key thrown away. Our society has no place or need for them and would be better off without them.

As they are youths they should be taught a life lesson but the key thrown away bit is far fetched in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Heres a thing, this type of crime thrives on the anonymity of the toerags that are committing it, that anonymity is the byprodcut of a different era not some right. We take it away. We have the ability to take it away now

Convicted of an anti social offence? fine, you're going to be wearing special clothing that identifies you as a criminal for a set period of time, you're also going to be wearing a gps tracker so you can be traced. Let people know what you are

Sort out an online database of court convictions for anti social crime, who you are, what you've been convicted of and your current address. A nice phot too. The data is already available, its just question of collating it and putting it out there

Start dragging these ****ers into the light and start holding them to account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Bambi wrote: »
    Heres a thing, this type of crime thrives on the anonymity of the toerags that are committing it, that anonymity is the byprodcut of a different era not some right. We take it away. We have the ability to take it away now

Convicted of an anti social offence? fine, you're going to be wearing special clothing that identifies you as a criminal for a set period of time, you're also going to be wearing a gps tracker so you can be traced. Let people know what you are

Sort out an online database of court convictions for anti social crime, who you are, what you've been convicted of and your current address. A nice phot too. The data is already available, its just question of collating it and putting it out there

Start dragging these ****ers into the light and start holding them to account

I live in a town that would have a good bit of anti-social crime etc. Everyone knows who the culprits are, the Gardai know and catch them for X and Y and they're back out in no time.

The fcukers themselves don't give two sh1ts if people know them because what are they going to do about it?

Just on a side note; Most of the people crapping on about confronting scumbags etc. on this thread wouldn't look sideways at them if they met them out on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Polarix

Isn't it amazing how we can all identify pretty small parts of town where gangs of kids are running wild and there is guaranteed trouble daily but the Gardai either don't have a notion or don't give two hoots.

What are the Guards going to do exactly ?
    The courts are never willing to do anything about or impose anything effective on these scrotes. Prison on the very rare occasion any of them ever see it, is not a deterrent in any way. The Guards are just wasting their time. I know a couple of local lads round here in the late teens, early twenties with over 100 convictions each, and some prison time. It's made no difference to them whatsoever, it's just all a game to them. The law in Ireland is for ordinary people who don't pay their household tax or water charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Bob24 wrote: »
    I am very afraid that in a few months/years, we will read something like this in the newspaper: "Shop owner shot down youth who was attacking them. The shop had already been attacked 3 times and the owner panicked and misused the weapon he had acquired to scare away potential assaulters"

When honest and apparently quiet people don't feel like their basic right to safety is guaranteed by society anymore, they can do crazy things. I hope we can tackle the issues before something like this happens, but I think we are not very far off (it is already happening in other European countries).

I'm hopeful we hear some of them.

I'd rather hear a story about a shop owner shooting and killing 10 trouble making youths than hear a story about one shop owner or law abiding citizen being beat, robbed, or seriously harassed by law disregarding youths.

Polarix wrote: »
    What are the Guards going to do exactly ?
    The courts are never willing to do anything about or impose anything effective on these scrotes. Prison on the very rare occasion any of them ever see it, is not an deterrent in any way. The Guards are just wasting their time. I know a couple of local lads round here in the late teens, early twenties with over 100 convictions each, and some prison time. It's made no difference to them whatsoever, it's just all a game to them.

Is it really a waste?

Garbage men take out the garbage every day, knowing full well it isn't a long-term permanent solution. They know the same trash will show up again. But by emptying it frequently, it keeps the streets clean, for a while.

In fairness, I do agree with your general point...but I don't see that as an excuse for the guards not to concern themselves with the problem.

UCDVet wrote: »
    Is it really a waste?

Garbage men take out the garbage every day, knowing full well it isn't a long-term permanent solution. They know the same trash will show up again. But by emptying it frequently, it keeps the streets clean, for a while.

In the case of the Gardai; about 6 hours.

• Advertisement

I'm hopeful we hear some of them.

I'd rather hear a story about a shop owner shooting and killing 10 trouble making youths than hear a story about one shop owner or law abiding citizen being beat, robbed, or seriously harassed by law disregarding youths.

To be honest if I was to read a story like this I wouldn't feel too sorry for the original attacker; but it would still concern me very much abut the society I live in.

I like watching Western movies, but I don't want to live in one ...

Btw here's the exemple I had in mind: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/17/french-minister-detain-jeweller-shot-robber

67 years old Jewlery owner in France shooting down someone who was escaping after robbing is shop. The jeweller had already been robbed several times and had illegally purchased a gun as he didn't see any other way to protect his business. The robber was only 19 years old and had already been convicted 14 times in juvenile court.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I live in a town that would have a good bit of anti-social crime etc. Everyone knows who the culprits are, the Gardai know and catch them for X and Y and they're back out in no time.

The fcukers themselves don't give two sh1ts if people know them because what are they going to do about it?

Just on a side note; Most of the people crapping on about confronting scumbags etc. on this thread wouldn't look sideways at them if they met them out on the street.

good for you, but I dont live in some rural outpost where rascals are few and far between enough that everyone knows their name and their parents (sure he didnt lick off a stone begob) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

The only solution is immediate incarceration with hard labour. Working from Dawn to Dusk doing some AWFUL hard job while supervised by prison authorities. Really wish we had a Government with an ounce of BACKBONE - just so we can have a civilized-ish Ireland back once more!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

One of these toerags came running by me at full pelt and swiped the phone out of my hand at the bus stop on Westmoreland Street. By the time i realised what had happened he was across the road and gone down by the Westin hotel. (fleet street I think). I chased the fcuker and just as i was about to get my hand on him he threw the phone back and I had to stop to retrieve it on Dolier street. Obviously wasnt expecting a suit to give chase. Was inches from grabbing him and he possibly would have been going for a swim and was raging I didn't get to give him a few slaps.

Bob24 wrote: »
    To be honest if I was to read a story like this I wouldn't feel too sorry for the original attacker; but it would still concern me very much abut the society I live in.

I like watching Western movies, but I don't want to live in one ...

Btw here's the exemple I had in mind: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/18/france-tony-martin-self-defence

67 years old Jewlery owner in France shooting down someone who was escaping after robbing is shop. The jeweller had already been robbed several times and had illegally purchased a gun as he didn't see any other way to protect his business. The robber was only 19 years old and had already been convicted 14 times in juvenile court.

Your 100% correct - I'm probably just being argumentative (my apologies). It is a poor reflection on our society and there are better ways to deal with the problem before it progresses that far.

Bambi wrote: »
    good for you, but I dont live in some rural outpost where rascals are few and far between enough that everyone knows their name and their parents (sure he didnt lick off a stone begob) :p

I live in one of the bigger towns in the greater Dublin area. People still know who the dodgy bastards are and where they're from in the town.

The Gardai are doing the best with what they have here. Last year they arrested a lad that would have been below me when I was in secondary school, they caught him with several firearms and a rake of ammunition.

He got 2 years, the mandatory minimum sentence for the possession of even 1 firearm is 5 years, I don't know how he swung that one. I know for a fact he's due out in a few months having barely served a year.

That's the Gardai's situation in a nutshell, I'm sure they thought he was going away for at least 5 years but he's back treading the boards a year later.

Your 100% correct - I'm probably just being argumentative (my apologies). It is a poor reflection on our society and there are better ways to deal with the problem before it progresses that far.

No worries at all :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Pinstriped suited scum and tracksuited scum, thank you Celtic Tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Polarix

Is it really a waste?

In fairness, I do agree with your general point...but I don't see that as an excuse for the guards not to concern themselves with the problem.

Only a court can put them away and off the streets. The guards are doing their jobs hence the 100 plus convictions, which seemingly are not worth the paper they are written on. The only thing fit for the bin is the worthless convictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

diograis wrote: »
    that story almost sounds too ridiculous to be true, we all know it is though.

Mad thing is it's 100% true. He rang me about 11 to tell me about it...he's only started work for this company in the last 3 weeks. He was in donnybrook first and couldn't believe the wealth...now he's seeing the other side of life.

Advertisement