Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the nicest appartments in the city centre

Options
  • 12-04-2014 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I was wondering where in the city centre are the nicest appartments? and if you worked in ringaskiddy would living in the city centre be awkward , where would be the best place to live?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Money not a problem ? Opera Lane. Or the place opposite the Bodega.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Buying or renting?

The elysian duplexes are fantastic. Only 1.3 million euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

The city centre would be awkward enough in my opinion for Ringaskiddy unless you dont mind a long enough commute.
    Douglas or Carrigaline in particular would be far closer but not sure about public transport from either to Ringaskiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭opus

pwurple wrote: »
    Buying or renting?

The elysian duplexes are fantastic. Only 1.3 million euro.

Doubt that seeing as the penthouse sold for €850k & was originally asking a cool 2 mill!
    Apt. 119
    The Elysian
    Port Lane

Cork
    Sale Information Date of Sale: 05/11/2013
    Price: €850,000.00
    Not Full Market Price: No
    VAT Exclusive: No
    Description of Property: Second-Hand Dwelling house /Apartment
    Property Size Desc.:

The flats at the bottom of Sundays Well Road (Altus?) look nice but I've never seen them mentioned as being for rent or sale.

The duplexes are not in the tower, they are the apartments behind. More expensive than the penthouse afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There are definitely two story dwellings in the tower - that would be a duplex, no?

The duplexes are not in the tower, they are the apartments behind. More expensive than the penthouse afaik.

The price list where they still wanted €2 mill for the penthouse, nice tasty 57.5% price drop if my maths haven't failed me. The service charges were €2.50 per sq ft so that's an extra €8k+ per annum on top as well :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

City centre living has more minuses than pluses unless you're working right in the CC and have no access to a car. Got to ask yourself how much do you like going out in the city to make it worthwhile?

City centre living has more minuses than pluses unless you're working right in the CC and have no access to a car.

That is entirely a matter of opinion.
    I've lived in the city centre for almost 20 years, I don't work in the CC (at least not very often) and I do have a car. I wouldn't live anywhere else. Just because it's not for you, doesn't mean it's not for anybody.

For me, the pulses far outweigh the minuses - having grown up in suburbia, I could never see myself living there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SandStone

Mariasofia wrote: »
    The city centre would be awkward enough in my opinion for Ringaskiddy unless you dont mind a long enough commute.
    Douglas or Carrigaline in particular would be far closer but not sure about public transport from either to Ringaskiddy.

The bus from the city to Ringaskiddy goes through Douglas anyway. I'm not aware if any public bus to Ringaskiddy from Carrigaline though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

horgan_p wrote: »
    Money not a problem ? Opera Lane. Or the place opposite the Bodega.

Was in one of those apartments on Cornmarket St., across from the Bodega. They're very nice - you could live in the hallways they're so spacious. You drive into an elevator to get into the underground parking, which is probably unique in Cork though probably practical in a typical tight city-centre site.

The Lavitt's quay apartments are nice enough too (viewed them when looking to buy my place), on the river with nice views. Unfortunately, they were a bit small, with no storage space whatsoever, and had a tiiny balcony that was too narrow to fit a chair on. (That really bugs me about all the apartment developments. The council/planners are trying to encourage higher-density developments like these, but very few people are building decent apartments with storage areas, service elevators for bringing in larger items, outdoor/garden areas, more bedrooms for larger families.)

I live in one of the Bridge House apartments (by the bus station) which is very different from the above buildings but very nice, old red-brick & stone building with high ceilings and cast-iron support beams. Smaller than the other buildings so not sure if any apartments are available at the moment.

There are definitely two story dwellings in the tower - that would be a duplex, no?

Sure, but the ones I was talking about have the gardens etc. the tower ones are a bit enclosed for my liking. Prefer a bit of outside space myself, that's why i think they are the best. You prefer the indoor ones?

Sure, but the ones I was talking about have the gardens etc. the tower ones are a bit enclosed for my liking. Prefer a bit of outside space myself, that's why i think they are the best. You prefer the indoor ones?

I've only been in the ones in the tower.

That is entirely a matter of opinion.
    I've lived in the city centre for almost 20 years, I don't work in the CC (at least not very often) and I do have a car. I wouldn't live anywhere else. Just because it's not for you, doesn't mean it's not for anybody.

For me, the pulses far outweigh the minuses - having grown up in suburbia, I could never see myself living there again.

Similar for me except I live & work in the city centre. Would be very slow to move somewhere where I couldn't easily walk to stuff.
    who_me wrote: »

I live in one of the Bridge House apartments (by the bus station) which is very different from the above buildings but very nice, old red-brick & stone building with high ceilings and cast-iron support beams. Smaller than the other buildings so not sure if any apartments are available at the moment.

Friend of mine used to live in those very apartments, they certainly have something you don't see in the modern versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

The Togher flats?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Opera lane are the best located and in fairly good nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

yenom wrote: »
    The Togher flats?

Those award winning flats (not joking) are thankfully no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

who_me wrote: »
    Was in one of those apartments on Cornmarket St., across from the Bodega. They're very nice - you could live in the hallways they're so spacious. You drive into an elevator to get into the underground parking, which is probably unique in Cork though probably practical in a typical tight city-centre site.

Same deal for the parking in Opera Lane. Nice, pretty well kept flats and not having to deal with a private renter is bliss. The dude that you deal with for anything that needs fixing is just doing his job, not saving his own pennies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Nama are renting out some Elysian apartments. Checked one recently. Honestly they were..meh.

Advertisement