Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers for cheap "stewing" mutton/lamb?

Options
  • 12-04-2014 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭

I'm a newcomer to slow-cooked anything really, but thought I might give something like a shoulder of mutton in a long-simmered curry a go. Any recommendations for a butcher that has a good stock -- and cheap prices on! -- such cuts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Try The Meat Centre in the English Market.
    They usually have mutton.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Im on the lookout for some mutton too as I just don't get lamb so next step is mutton. I was going to ask out local chap Cahills in Ballintemple in fairness his loverly and he might order it in for you

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I buy mutton shoulder from The Meat Centre in the market. Makes top curries and very reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Thank you shall keep in mind if cahill doenst have it. Is it very strong tasting! Like lets say the game of the lamb family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Milly33 wrote: »
    Im on the lookout for some mutton too as I just don't get lamb so next step is mutton. I was going to ask out local chap Cahills in Ballintemple in fairness his loverly and he might order it in for you

You might try hogget? It's the stage between lamb and mutton. Lamb that has seen a winter. I get that for curry usually. It's got a good flavour, but not as tough as mutton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Milly33 wrote: »
    Thank you shall keep in mind if cahill doenst have it. Is it very strong tasting! Like lets say the game of the lamb family

It has a stronger flavour than lamb, alright but it's not gamey at all. Fantastic in stews and curries.

Advertisement