Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Boss Battles?

Options
  • 12-04-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I was watching some Dark Souls videos on Youtube and saw the lore video about Artorias and Sif. Both boss battles are great but it made me feel like an awful bastard for killing poor Sif. In my first playthrough, I didn't know the story that well and even then I didn't want to kill him after he started limping. So the lore around Artorias & Sif and the battles themselves make them two of my favourites.

Other that deserve a mention.

The End (MGS3): Sniper battle in a huge forest? Brilliant.

Liquid Snake/Ocelot (MGS4): Incredibly cheesy? Yes. But I loved it.

Every Colossus (Shadow Of The Colossus): Too hard to just pick one.

So, what are your favourite boss battles?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

artorias and manus in dark souls

well i absolutely ****ing hate manus, really really hate. hate so much., so ****ing much.

I guess that's the sign of a great boss battle though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,066 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

J. Marston wrote: »
    I was watching some Dark Souls videos on Youtube and saw the lore video about Artorias and Sif. Both boss battles are great but it made me feel like an awful bastard for killing poor Sif. In my first playthrough, I didn't know the story that well and even then I didn't want to kill him after he started limping. So the lore around Artorias & Sif and the battles themselves make them two of my favourites.

Other that deserve a mention.

The End (MGS3): Sniper battle in a huge forest? Brilliant.

Liquid Snake/Ocelot (MGS4): Incredibly cheesy? Yes. But I loved it.

Every Colossus (Shadow Of The Colossus): Too hard to just pick one.

So, what are your favourite boss battles?

I agree with the liquid snake one. I also found all the boss battles in ninja gaiden games to be though and you really had to plan them out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seven Force - Gunstar Heroes

You could put all the bosses from that game on the list.

Anything from Radiant Silvergun either.

Queen Fossil from G-Darius is just epic:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

artorias and manus in dark souls

well i absolutely ****ing hate manus, really really hate. hate so much., so ****ing much.

I guess that's the sign of a great boss battle though

I think Khalameet is worth a shout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The Vizier - Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
    Phalanx and Beardface (may not be his actual name) - Shadow of the Colossus
    Metal Gear Rex - Metal Gear Solid
    Ugh Zan III - Serious Sam
    Artorias - Dark Souls
    Jetstream Sam – Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Poseidon - God of War III

Are the ones that spring to mind at least, whether they're for the quality of the fight itself or their visual spectacle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Continuing the dark souls theme - Ornstein and Smough, after all the pain of getting past the two archers, going through the castle killing the sentinels and then there's two bosses at once and they really dont like me!!!! I died in after about 30 seconds the first time(s) I met them

Also sniper wolf springs to mind in MGS - think it was more the drama and story than the actual battle.

There was a few good set peices in the Halo series - I can remember one fighting 2 or 3 crab things (halo 2 I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Metal Gear Solid Series:

The Boss-Mgs3
    The End-Mgs3
    Psycho Mantis -Mgs1

Dark Souls:

Artorias
    Sif
    Ornstein/Smough
    Manus

Super Metroid:

Mother Brain

Sonic The Hedgheog 2:

Death Egg

Persona Boss:

Shadow Mitsuo
    Nyx
    Inzanami
    Kusumi No Okami

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

The Ganondorf final battle in Wind Waker and the Bongo Bongo fight in Ocarina of Time stuck pretty well with me. Other than that I really have a hard time remembering boss fights after they're done. Psycho Mantis in MGS1 was pretty clever too though and I kind of liked the idea of The Pain in MGS3 showing you all the people you had killed up to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The End - Metal Gear Solid 3
    Huge sniper battle. Tense the whole way through. Takes every bit of skill you'd learnt.

Vergil - Devil May Cry 3
    Dante - Devil May Cry 4
    Both of these are simple one-on-one fights, evenly matched, but are incredibly well done, with great variety and the attacks never let up.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

R-Type 3rd level. You fought your way around a big spaceship. The Boss fight was the level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I could pick any number of bosses from Probotector, I'l go with the train boss...

This one a classic from one of my all time favourite games...

Could pick any number of Zelda bosses, but I'l go with Vovulga. These graphics absolutely blew me away back in the N64 days...

I'm sure I'l think of more later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I honestly can't think of a single boss battle that I've enjoyed. I always hate it when I arrive at the point that I have to face the boss. It might be that I think that I might get stuck and not be able to get past them. I think they just make me anxious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

It has got to be psycho mantis in mgs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azYdJ9dPx5o

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Also Scarecrow in Batman AA is a good boss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Icaras wrote: »
    Also Scarecrow in Batman AA is a good boss.

I hear this a lot but I thought the total opposite. It's a real gimmick boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

All of the boss battles in Metal Gear Rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

The first boss, Shadow Yukiko in Persona 4. It's a real sink or swim moment in the game, because if you haven't learned the basic mechanics of the game, it'll be a real slog and struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

Zacks last stand - crisis core

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Silver in Sonic 06

TrylHzS.png

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Dark Souls:
    Ornstein and Smough
    Artorias
    The Four Kings
    Gwyn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Wario Land series tends to jumble a lot of tropes, i.e you don't 'die', though you're still punished for messing up; usually this comes in the form of the boss launching you off-screen and resetting the battle.

The 'Anyone for B-ball' level has a good bit of fun with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Confronting Bill Taggart in Deus Ex: HR was fantastic, not least because there was no combat involved. It was a clever game of words to force him to tell the truth in front of a global audience. Plenty of pressure, lots of thinking about his personality and deciding when to call his bluff, it was great.

• Half Life 2 Episode 2
    The Strider Attack at the end of
    was epic.

I loved
    Wheatley
    In Portal 2

Zeus from God of War 3

Metal Gear REX - MGS1

ooo and Nemisis from Resident Evil 3

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Kronos in God of War 3, the fight itself wasn't all that but the setting and scale of it was brilliant, fighting a fingernail has never felt so epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Usually not a Boss fight kind of player, but I liked Mr. Freeze in Batman AC

Advertisement