Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning licks

• 12-04-2014 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just wondering how people go about learning guitar licks.

I have a big difficulty getting anything even a little finicky up to speed.

I have tried playing the licks over and over at a slow pace, but the moment I speed it up everything goes to pot.

An example of the kind of thing im talking about would be the little repeating lick at the end of the solo on dancing in the moonlight (thin lizzy), rest of the solo I can play along with the record but when I come to that lick at the end I go to pot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I have tried playing the licks over and over at a slow pace, but the moment I speed it up everything goes to pot.

Try increasing the tempo G-R-A-D-U-A-L-L-Y. Use a metronome at a comfortable tempo. When you have nailed the riff at that tempo then up the 'nome by say ten BPM. If you are still having problems drop back the BPM by five.

Also, depending on how long the riff or piece of music is, you could break it down into small bite size segments and work on each seperately. Then when you are ready put them all together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Rigsby wrote: »
    Try increasing the tempo G-R-A-D-U-A-L-L-Y. Use a metronome at a comfortable tempo. When you have nailed the riff at that tempo then up the 'nome by say ten BPM. If you are still having problems drop back the BPM by five.

Also, depending on how long the riff or piece of music is, you could break it down into small bite size segments and work on each seperately. Then when you are ready put them all together.

Cheers man, it's hard sometimes when you feel your putting in the work without receiving a dividend;)

Will keep going and try slowly up the tempo, thanks for the advice.

Advertisement