Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Civilization/alpha centauri game??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

smithy1981 wrote: »
    http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/04/sid-meiers-civilization-beyond-earth.html

Just seen this, is it real? Please tell me it is :D:D:D

I couldn't find any source on it that didn't link back to that site, and nothing at all from any of the major sites which would be odd because this would be a really big game if real. I've never heard of Indie Retro News before either so not sure how reputable they are.

Also, that 18 rating on the box looks a bit dubious. Sid Meier games have always been pretty family friendly in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

It's being announced any minute now at PAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

4493347+_1cc814367c4d070eaf97544b8a1a248f.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Funny, I was recently wondering what was next in the Civilisation series, as it seemed V had run its course. Glad they're going for something (semi) original and fresh, rather than the easy option that would have been Civilisation VI; the fifth iteration and its two expansion packs really polished the series to a mirror shine and it was hard to see how any new (earth-bound) version could trump things.

The news does remind me that much to my shame, I've never played Alpha Centauri!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Excited and surprised is so close.

I suppose they had the bones of the game there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I'm sure I've posted in a couple of "what games would you like to see a sequel to?" threads over the years and number one on my list was always Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (just look at my sig)

So needless to say this, even if it is a spiritual successor only, I'm just a little bit excited.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You know what feature I hope they have? The ability to import and use a Civ 5 game as the "seed" for this new game - so as you all blast off into spess that the <whoevers> that you had that 300 year war with would start off distrustful and looking for a way to frak you over - that sort of thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So basically, Gandhi continues his warmongering in space?

No thanks :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shiminay wrote: »
    You know what feature I hope they have? The ability to import and use a Civ 5 game as the "seed" for this new game - so as you all blast off into spess that the <whoevers> that you had that 300 year war with would start off distrustful and looking for a way to frak you over - that sort of thing.

Unlikely, as I believe the Civs for this will be made-up entities for the game. Can't recall the exact names, but they sounded like corporate conglomerates rather than nationstates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

The whole idea (in Alpha Centauri anyway) is that nations were left behind on earth and factions were based on ideologies instead (Aquisition of wealth, Green Eqology, Research at any cost, Genetic manipulation, War preperation, Diplomacy/Democracy, Religious Beliefs). Not sure how this would translate from the nations in Civ.

Advertisement