Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city rickshaws

Options
  • 12-04-2014 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Hi, and Mods feel free to move this to legal, cycling, insurance or indeed afterhours.
    My question is' if a rickshaw driver/cyclist in Dublin city centre scratches my car in traffic do I claim from Dublin City Council or just take it on the chin. As far as I know D.C.C. issue permits to these people. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hi, and Mods feel free to move this to legal, cycling, insurance or indeed afterhours.
    My question is' if a rickshaw driver/cyclist in Dublin city centre scratches my car in traffic do I claim from Dublin City Council or just take it on the chin. As far as I know D.C.C. issue permits to these people. Thanks
    Yes, you can claim.
    They'll get a great laugh out of it and tell you to claim off the rickshaw driver or their insurer.

While the Draft Dublin City Council Control of Pedal Cycles for the Carriage of Passengers or Goods for Hire or Reward Bye-Laws 2013 proposed some requirements, as I understand it, the only requirements are the general requirements of the Road Traffic Acts (lights, bell, brakes, etc.) and the historic ones relating to the carriage of passengers for reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Victor wrote: »
    Yes, you can claim.
    They'll get a great laugh out of it and tell you to claim off the rickshaw driver or their insurer.

While the Draft Dublin City Council Control of Pedal Cycles for the Carriage of Passengers or Goods for Hire or Reward Bye-Laws 2013 proposed some requirements, as I understand it, the only requirements are the general requirements of the Road Traffic Acts (lights, bell, brakes, etc.) and the historic ones relating to the carriage of passengers for reward.

I have often wondered if a cyclist or rickshaw hit me and I broke a leg and couldn't work for a month,who would compensate me if it wasn't my fault. Dodging cyclists is a sport in the city center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

How is it DCC fault? Yes they gave a permit to the rickshaw companies. But so does the taxi regulator give plates to taxi.But the taxi regulator isnt responsible for a taxi drivers actions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

hfallada wrote: »
    How is it DCC fault? Yes they gave a permit to the rickshaw companies. But so does the taxi regulator give plates to taxi.But the taxi regulator isnt responsible for a taxi drivers actions
    I never said it was the fault of D.C.C. Taxi drivers have insurance so I'm just wondering who insures the rickshaw drivers if my car is scratched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I never said it was the fault of D.C.C. Taxi drivers have insurance so I'm just wondering who insures the rickshaw drivers if my car is scratched.

Probably more comparable to cyclists/pedestrians then. They don't have insurance, but as far as I am aware are still liable for any damage caused by their actions.
    Doesn't mean it would be easy to enforce though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

this is off the top of my head but I would imagine some sort of public liability insurance or similar would be required to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I have often wondered if a cyclist or rickshaw hit me and I broke a leg and couldn't work for a month,who would compensate me if it wasn't my fault.
    Presumably the riskshaw driver / owner / insurer. It's hardly as if there ware masses of injuries from riskshaws though.
    DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Probably more comparable to cyclists/pedestrians then. They don't have insurance, but as far as I am aware are still liable for any damage caused by their actions. Doesn't mean it would be easy to enforce though
    It seems the Garda does insist they have insurance, although I don't know under what power - they treat them much the same as horse carriages for hire.

However, given they don't insist they have lights, that might be problematic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If they carry passengers I would assume they all have at least third party insurance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Dodging cyclists is a sport in the city center

A woman i work with got creamed by a cyclist breaking the lights at nassau st...she was off work for a week with serious neck and shoulder pain. The cyclist said "I'm sorry" and buggered off.

If they're goingto be using the public roads(and paths) they should at the very least be insured.

chopper6 wrote: »
    A woman i work with got creamed by a cyclist breaking the lights at nassau st...she was off work for a week with serious neck and shoulder pain. The cyclist said "I'm sorry" and buggered off.

If they're goingto be using the public roads(and paths) they should at the very least be insured.
    That is what I would have thought but it seems they don't need to be licenced so I suppose, like cyclists, they don't need insurance and will bugger off without any consequences.
    Dublin City Council say it's nothing to do with them as they don't licence them but if I'm not wrong Galway City Council banned them from the city.
    D.C.C. have had a lot of complaints about them over the last few years but are powerless to do anything.
    The National Transport Auth. are also powerless.
    So I suppose the only option is to get hold of the fuucker, if there is an incident, and try to prove it was criminal damage to the car and then there is a case. Tricky one to prove as you must prove it was done on purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

a jogger could knock you over and injure you - even an inattentive pedestrian could trip up another pedestrian... where do you draw the line? The number of serious injuries caused by cyclists is very small, not enough to warrant the expense of policing an insurance regime for them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I have often wondered if a cyclist or rickshaw hit me and I broke a leg and couldn't work for a month,who would compensate me if it wasn't my fault. Dodging cyclists is a sport in the city center

Dodging pedestrians is as bad if not is worse.

I was injured by a pedestrian crossing... I mean jaywalking across O'Connell Street and have had a recurring (even if minor) leg injoury for years after. Garda witnessed and told me the pedestrian was in the wrong and have them an Asbo.

If pedestrians are going to be using the public roads and paths they should at the very least be insured.

monument wrote: »

Maybe if you're not watching where you're going.

How much speed can a pedestrian build up in order to injusre somebody else?

This is a typical response from cyclist..."pedestrians do this...mortoristts do that...cyclists can do no wrong".

monument wrote: »

I was injured by a pedestrian crossing... I mean jaywalking across O'Connell Street and have had a recurring (even if minor) leg injoury for years after. Garda witnessed and told me the pedestrian was in the wrong and have them an Asbo.

If pedestrians are going to be using the public roads and paths they should at the very least be insured.
    How did you become a mod on commuting and transport? After hours maybe.

loyatemu wrote: »
    a jogger could knock you over and injure you - even an inattentive pedestrian could trip up another pedestrian... where do you draw the line? The number of serious injuries caused by cyclists is very small, not enough to warrant the expense of policing an insurance regime for them.

If you are using the public roads as your primary mode of travel (not a pedestrian) you should be insured against causing or being involved in damage.

This should include all cyclists and all motorists.

IF You somehow get injured by a poor,uninsured pedestrian then your own insurance shouod take care of it...Insurance is there to compenstae injured and to pay for damage.

Bicycles are capable of enough speed to injure somebody,have no protection for the user should they crash and are extremely hard to see as the weave around between traffic and cut into different lanes.

If cyclists want to be treated as non-motorised motorists then they should have mandatory insurance,and,i beleive should be licenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

How did you become a mod on commuting and transport? After hours maybe.

Please read the forum charter, attack the post, not the poster.

January wrote: »
    Please read the forum charter, attack the post, not the poster.
    OK, I find the post I referred to earlier as a bit of a childish post and offers nothing to the debate. I was just surprised it was posted by a mod. I'm not attacking a mod, I'm just very surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

OK, I find the post I referred to earlier as a bit of a childish post and offers nothing to the debate. I was just surprised it was posted by a mod. I'm not attacking a mod, I'm just very surprised.

Being a mod of one forum doesn't have any standing if they post in a different forum, they are treated as a normal poster if they post outside of the forums they mod.

Now, if you have anything further to add, PM me, because arguing with a mod on thread is against the forum charter. :)

Advertisement