Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just landed in Toronto - first impressions

Options
  • 12-04-2014 5:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2

I believe I'm the first of the IEC 2014 crowd to enter Canada. Immigration was quick and easy - took about 10mins max. The visa is a piece of paper stapled into your passport. I'm staying in HI hostel in downtown Toronto. It's in a nice neighbourhood beside a park and is apparently a historical district. The street cars pass by right outside the street. There is a supermarket very close by too which is handy. I was speaking to a few other guys in my dorm room from Brazil, Germany, Australia but no Irish. We agreed to go for a few beers tonight.

Ok that's all for now. I don't want to waste time so I'm out to drop off some CVs in person. Any specific questions, just ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 leechris007

Fair play,how much cash did you bring?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Polarix

The waterfront and islands are great for relaxing at the weekends.
    Also baseball and the blue jays are worth seeing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 yoplop

Thanks all. I have €5000 in my Irish account and I just withdraw the cash as I need it. My debit card is accepted by the ATMs here (the ones I've tried anyway). I was never asked for proof of funds at immigration. I'll probably open up a Canadian bank account early next week when I get my SIN. I'll definitely check out the baseball and the islands when I make a few friends! The only downside of being the first IEC of 2014 in Canada is I'm all alone. The rest of you need to hurry up lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

A first impressions thread is a great idea.

Congrats on getting there and realizing your plan. ;)

You might not be the first 2014 Irish IECer, I doubt every visa holder checks in on boards, many, or most won't so more people are likely there. From the stats I seen, Toronto still dominates immigration figures so yeah you'll start bumping into Irish in no time.

That's interesting about the quick immigration process. I'm going to the west coast and needed to choose a stopover. I'm glad it's not so taxing. 10 minutes is nothing.

Best of luck and keep in touch with us! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 aarongrant46

Hey :),

Great thread idea. Me and my girlfriend are moving to Toronto in August, We are currently living in Waterford and we are flying over the 28th. I was looking up information on proof of the necessary funds needed to arrive in Canada (i.e. 2500 Canadian dollars). Did you need to have prove of these funds when arriving first off .i.e bank statement. If so did you set up Canadian bank account before arriving and transfer funds or just get recent statement from Irish bank showing evidence of necessary funds in your account? :)

Hope your settling in well, did you fins accommodation or still living in hostel? We cannot wait to get over, 13 weeks and counting :)

Aaron.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

Hey :),

Great thread idea. Me and my girlfriend are moving to Toronto in August, We are currently living in Waterford and we are flying over the 28th. I was looking up information on proof of the necessary funds needed to arrive in Canada (i.e. 2500 Canadian dollars). Did you need to have prove of these funds when arriving first off .i.e bank statement. If so did you set up Canadian bank account before arriving and transfer funds or just get recent statement from Irish bank showing evidence of necessary funds in your account? :)

Hope your settling in well, did you fins accommodation or still living in hostel? We cannot wait to get over, 13 weeks and counting :)

Aaron.

I arrived into Toronto last year and wasn't asked for proof of funds ort insurance, I arrived on a Sunday so staff was maybe a bit thin on the ground, I didn't take out any insurance think it's a needless money racket and they ain't going to turn you away at the border for not having it, just my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

I arrived into Toronto last year and wasn't asked for proof of funds ort insurance, I arrived on a Sunday so staff was maybe a bit thin on the ground, I didn't take out any insurance think it's a needless money racket and they ain't going to turn you away at the border for not having it, just my opinion!

Hahaha yeah but Because you werent means not much really . The outlay is worth it esp for the 2 years what if something happened and ya didn't have it your ****ed Pretty much. And all wells opinion yeah but it's Alway when you don't have it you really need it .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hahaha yeah but Because you werent means not much really . The outlay is worth it esp for the 2 years what if something happened and ya didn't have it your ****ed Pretty much. And all wells opinion yeah but it's Alway when you don't have it you really need it .

Didnt ask my for insurance or funds either, nor the three Irish people I've spoken to so far. If I could cancel the insurance and get the money back I would. I literally handed the guy my IEC letter with the entry date on it, he printed off the visa and stapled it to my passport, that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

I had insurance through my job but I was on an iec visa and they want you to have backpacker insurance for that visa, so f that!! I haven't met anybody who was asked for it so it's upto yerselves if money is tight ya know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

I arrived a month ago. Only thing I was asked for was insurance. 10 mins and I was on my way with the visa!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 james182

Be careful with using your debit in Canadian ATM's you might get charged handsomely:). Try to go with a credit union instead of any of the big banks- their service is better and most of their products are free- like credit cards or chequing accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jackjustjumped

james182 wrote: »
    Be careful with using your debit in Canadian ATM's you might get charged handsomely:). Try to go with a credit union instead of any of the big banks- their service is better and most of their products are free- like credit cards or chequing accounts

Yeah, you can get stung with those transaction fees!

Do they usually ask for proof of funds or insurance? Or does it depend on the mood of the immigration people? Is there statistics out there on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Yeah guys don't skimp on the travel insurance have a look at what it covers, in case you wreck yourself on the slopes or they need to fly yer corpse back. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

james182 wrote: »
    Do they usually ask for proof of funds or insurance? Or does it depend on the mood of the immigration people? Is there statistics out there on that?

Nope no statistics . Purely up to the officer . But Irs best to not risk not getting the insurance .get the best you can afford .

Yeah guys don't skimp on the travel insurance have a look at what it covers, in case you wreck yourself on the slopes or they need to fly yer corpse back. :o

That's the spirit!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

Does anyone know about the flight ticket as you cant buy a 2 year return, has anyone got a one way or did you get a open ticket? If i got a one way would it possible stop me from entering canada?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Does anyone know about the flight ticket as you cant buy a 2 year return, has anyone got a one way or did you get a open ticket? If i got a one way would it possible stop me from entering canada?

That is answered in the FAQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Had plans on heading over in September. Going solo, but a friend of mine lives over there, just is impossible to get in touch with. The idea behind going in September was it'd give me time to get my money together so I wouldn't have to dip into my "savings" that's for when I come back, but as it is I'm working an unstable job and eating into the money I'm not supposed to be touching so today in work I was looking up flights, found a super cheap
    One that leaves on 21st June. Two weeks from today. So tempted to book it, hand my notice in tomorrow and just leave.

Is this a bad idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mossy14

I wouldn't say its a bad idea. As long as its not a spur of the moment decision. If you have thought it through and you have everything researched and are sure you can get a job or whatever it is you want to do in canada then go for it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I think I've found somewhere to live (short term at least!) so there doesn't seem to be anything standing in my way!

What's the worst that can happen, right?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mossy14

Full steam ahead then for you... no stopping ya. The worst.. if you hate it i suppose. But ya will love it i'm sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think I've found somewhere to live (short term at least!) so there doesn't seem to be anything standing in my way!

What's the worst that can happen, right?! :)

That's the attitude to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I've sorted a 2 month job in Peterborough (north of Toronto) which I'm hoping will give me time to get a proper job sorted for when that finishes! I've heard the interview process can move at a glacial pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Had plans on heading over in September. Going solo, but a friend of mine lives over there, just is impossible to get in touch with. The idea behind going in September was it'd give me time to get my money together so I wouldn't have to dip into my "savings" that's for when I come back, but as it is I'm working an unstable job and eating into the money I'm not supposed to be touching so today in work I was looking up flights, found a super cheap
    One that leaves on 21st June. Two weeks from today. So tempted to book it, hand my notice in tomorrow and just leave.

Is this a bad idea

I just hope you wont be too reliant on that friend of yours who is difficult to get in contact with!

Advertisement