Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B2 visa?

Options
  • 12-04-2014 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Can anyone tell me what the chances are of my husband getting his b2 visa?
    He went for his interview to the US Embassy on the 9th of April at Dublin.
    Was arrested 36 years ago, so ESTA came back No..
    He was born and raised in the UK
    You'd think after so many years...
    He had his police report .. No live trace..
    We are supposed to be going to our sons wedding! Flying out on the 19th April!
    He wasn't given any Idea if it was a yes or a No.
    I read somewhere that they think you want to go and live there! Why? No thank you! A holiday yes, but noway would We want to live there! So my question is, should we expect to see his passport and visa this week or not?
    What's the usual waiting time for someone with a "past" criminal record?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

It doesn't look too good. It really depends what the crime was. If it fits "moral turpitude" (which is really broad) then he could be banned from visiting, or have to do a further interview with the embassy. It could take months to clear up. This is not about whether or not you want to live in the US, more to do with how much of a risk your husband is (depending on the crime)

Were you given any pieces of paper with letters/numbers on it? Usually if you are denied a visa, or it goes for further processing, these letters/numbers are the paragraph in the immigration law that deals with your circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

19 years with no other offences is a big positive, but as mentioned by the previous poster, it does depend a lot of what the arrest was for. If it was something sexual or drugs related... little chance. It is also quite unusual he was not told there and then whether he was approved or denied. Did they keep his passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Baby blue bird

No, wasn't given any piece of paper with numbers or letters on.been a week now and when you go to look at the status, it just says NO STATUS...surely it should at least read Administrative process

Yes they kept his passport

Decided he would help himself to a few pairs of jeans, at a jean shop he used to work at when he was young and foolish!!!

Looks like I'll be going on my own :-(

Their website could really be a bit more informative

Should be able to contact them, he wants his passport back to at least have some sort of a break/holiday..... Booked two weeks off work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

theft comes in under moral turpitude, even if it was youthful idiocy. It is strange that they kept the passport. Usually the computer will just say "No" and that will be it. If you are refused a visa, then you need to flight tooth and nail for a waiver based on whatever the state department say. When we interviewed for our L visa, we were approved on the spot, and had our passports back later that day. This has probably gone for further processing or investigation but it really doesn't look too good.

and you probably already know this....but you shouldn't book the flights until the visa sticker was in the passport.

Would help if the US embassy in Dublin had a way we could contact them, all you get is the answer phone, which tells to go back to the website, but the website doesn't help if you can't ask the question ....... Can you please send my passport back? as it is now too late for me to go, and missed my sons wedding, but as I have two weeks off work, I don't fancy sitting round here! So I would at least like some sort of a holiday in Europe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

You could certainly try and call them for an update. But I don't know how feasible it would be for someone to tell you over the phone.

No good, nobody answered/answers the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Ah. Well, I don't know I'm afraid. I'm sure they will return your passport eventually :(

Advertisement