Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hassle from gay at work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,617 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

crazygeryy wrote: »
    is that a joke?
    why should he change for that idiot.

Maybe switch on the sarcasm detector.

Though I'm not sure how you're able to justify calling the person in the OP an idiot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Sir Chops

fire_man wrote: »
    I work in an open plan office.A gay man is full time passing remarks about my clothes and asking do I work out etc.They are all good remarks but I'm getting tired of it now. Somedays i would like to tell me him where to go but i don't want to make a scene.Has anyone experienced this before.What should i do?

This is sexual harassment pure and simple. Get HR involved and get him sacked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes, the OP is being made uncomfortable at work but from what he's said here I have as much reason to believe his discomfort is his own doing than that of "the gay".

OP, what exactly is this person saying to you? From what you say he asked you if you worked out, I assume he only asked you once? And other than that he comments on your clothes? What else does he say? Because tbh those things seem harmless to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sir Chops wrote: »
    This is sexual harassment pure and simple. Get HR involved and get him sacked.

Hate to break it to you, but unless gross misconduct has occurred (and it hasn't), then the ideal outcome is for the offending employee to learn why his/her behaviour is not workplace-acceptable, to apologise, and not to do it again. No sackings in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭fire_man

They are fairly harmless but it gets pretty annoying making comments about what i'm wearing each day etc,makes me feel uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

fire_man wrote: »
    They are fairly harmless but it gets pretty annoying making comments about what i'm wearing each day etc,makes me feel uncomfortable.

If he was a woman or even a straight man would you feel uncomfortable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Just tell him to lay off the comments on your clothes.
    He could just be very pass remarkable!

I've a straight friend (and former colleague) who will say 'nice coat'.. 'Nice shoes..where did ya get them'. 'Like your hair …' and so on.

He's not flirting, he's just comfortable enough to pay another guy complements.

Women do it all the time! Guys generally don't as its maybe a bit 'gay', but increasingly nobody cares and seeming a bit 'gay' isn't an issue.

If it's not sexual in nature, try having a word with him (diplomatically) before anything HR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Tread carefully with this, best to probably ignore it, if it's brought up as an issue and becomes a topic of conversation the rumour mill would go bonkers if it's connected with Gays in any way and could end up with you being painted as an 'in the closet, self-hating homophobe'. There's a Franz Kafka quote that in the modern world the irrational becomes the rational and lies become the truth.

Advertisement