Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutering a female cat

• 12-04-2014 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how much it costs to get a female cat neutered. Rang our usual vet and got quoted €150. Seems a bit steep to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Many vets run special clinics whereby they encourage people to bring their cats in to get them neutered for a special price. Female cats are more expensive than male cats to have done. If money is an issue, contact your local animal rescue centre or try the blue cross and they may help you and you may just need to make a contribution. Great to hear you thinking about getting your cat neutered - it is the responsible thing to do and the healthiest thing in the long run for your cat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I paid about 200 to get two female and two male cats neutered a couple of months ago (that included a 15% discount). I think the individual price for the girls would've been around 75.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

€150 is outrageous. Most vets charge €75-€80 to spay a female cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

E150 is a bit steep alright. I am in the same situation, needing to get 2 young females neutered. When is the best time to get it done does anyone know? As one cat is just finished her heat and the other should be finished soon. *yowwww*
    They are house cats but they have gotten 'free' for a few minutes- i am terrified this will happen and kittens will ensue. Much as i like the idea of my dear kitty having her own brood i know it would be next to impossible to get good loving homes for kits who i would feel responsible for.
    The pet shop near me has had a pic of 2 adorable kittens that were bought by a member of staff there for 5 euro apiece, being sold by kids in the shopping centre there. They would only hand them over for the cash. It sickens me cats have no rights. And their pic- 2 cute black n white kittens has been up there for weeks looking for a home- in a busy pet shop.
    I'm on a pretty tight budget too (another reason to not have kittens). I got my male cat neutered years ago and he is 9 this year. I allow him out and he just stays around the estate or sits on a wall, he dosen't wander. The 2 young females , I would like to allow them out after they are neutered as they have a lot of energy and charge up and down the stairs etc at funny half hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

150 is extortion. I think it cost us about 80 to have our foster kitten done. Ring around vets in your area for a better price. 150 is a total rip off for one cat and they'd probably charge stupid prices for any other medical treatment she might need in the future, as well as vaccinations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

€150 does sound very expensive, did they explain what it involves or why it's so expensive? Are you sure they didn't pick you up wrong and you were quoted for a female dog which would sound about right? I paid €65 a few months ago, that would be at the lower end of the scale (injectable anaesthetic, some places intubate and use gas which would put up the price a little). I would expect €60-€90, not sure about dublin prices perhaps it's a little higher there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Our vet in Kildare charges €55 male or female. At that rate you could hire a limo to bring you and the cat from Meath and still come out ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

When I was getting my two done I shopped around after getting quotes even higher than that. I eventually got a deal with Bray vet to get them both done. And one of them micro chipped for 180!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Best time to do it is when they are a week or two out of heat. It's not like dogs, as the cats have more frequent cycles. At least your two girls are synchronised!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Sounds ridiculous.contact a local animal rescue,and they should help out with a voucher.had a stray mother cat with kittens turn up here,phoned the sanctuary and they covered all neutering costs.(kept the cat).either way,you're vet sounds way to expensive,and you'd be better of shopping around.worth finding a good reliable and reasonably priced vet now,as if some crisis or emergency developed,you could be mortgaging your house to pay this guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Where are you located OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭larrlin24

€100 in the private vet up at the DSPCA! They also do a free follow up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I just got my cat neutered last week for €65, so €150 is way too much.

Advertisement