Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

argos returns

Options
  • 12-04-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Bought a camera in argos approx 9 months ago. My guarantee is for one year. The lens started giving me trouble a few weeks ago. Brought it back to argos and they said they would send it back to the factory for repair. Recently they called informing me, to have the camera repaired I would have to pay 107 sterling. They said it was accidental damage. According to them they said it wasn't a manufacturing issue so they couldn't repair or replace the camera. Where do I stand now ? What are my options ? Can they do this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How was the lens damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I used to work in a camera store and this is exactly the same procedure we would undertake , they can basically see that lens had had some kind of impact and it's not a manufacture issue .

I can't see any other way other than to pay up or ask for camera to be sent back to you at no cost .

Then after that it depends how much camera cost in first place, is it worth the 107 pounds to fix. ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cantalopes

How was the lens damaged?

Intermittent error. Works one minute. Doesn't the next time. ....... I didn't drop it or bang it. Its a zoom lens

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cantalopes

194 for camera originally

used to work in a camera store and this is exactly the same procedure we would undertake , they can basically see that lens had had some kind of impact and it's not a manufacture issue .

I can't see any other way other than to pay up or ask for camera to be sent back to you at no cost .

Then after that it depends how much camera cost in first place, is it worth the 107 pounds to fix. ..?[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

It's defiantly not worth fixing ,don't even go there . I truly believe any camera or electrical device that's been opened will never last as long as a sealed product

( that's my opinion)

Then your only thing to do if you truly believe your being unfairly treated is to kick up a fuss and demand a further investigation into this matter. Speak to the manager in shop . Fight it. You have nothing to lose . You say you didn't break it or bump it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

cantalopes wrote: »
    Bought a camera in argos approx 9 months ago. My guarantee is for one year. The lens started giving me trouble a few weeks ago. Brought it back to argos and they said they would send it back to the factory for repair. Recently they called informing me, to have the camera repaired I would have to pay 107 sterling. They said it was accidental damage. According to them they said it wasn't a manufacturing issue so they couldn't repair or replace the camera. Where do I stand now ? What are my options ? Can they do this ?

Of course they can. They have a right to examine the damage and determine if it is a manufacturing defect. Unless you can prove otherwise you're not covered by the manufacturer's warranty or consumer legislation. It sounds like the typical powered lens that winds in/out when you turn off/on the camera; they are particularly sensitive to knocks when extended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Argos are crap for returns and customer service in-store.

I had to return a faulty laptop the day after I bought it and they were not prepared to refund or replace.

The manager was a <SNIP>as well. Smirking the whole time I was speaking to him and just treating me like <SNIP>.

That evening, I emailed Argos head office, explained in full my situation, got a full refund from them + €100 for the inconvenience.

Success!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i had a clothes horse that collapsed cheap plastic as i still had receipt brought it back and got replacement,waiting for this to go next lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sam Mac wrote: »

I had to return a faulty laptop the day after I bought it and they were not prepared to refund or replace.

The manager was a d1ckhead as well. Smirking the whole time I was speaking to him and just treating me like sh1t.

That evening, I emailed Argos head office, explained in full my situation, got a full refund from them + €100 for the inconvenience.

Success!!

Read the OP. Manufacturer made the determination and not Argos! How do you know the lens did not get a knock? Argos were willing to pass the camera for repair until the experts said it was user damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please do not post general observations on Argos. Stick to the original topic.

dudara

OP - You are entitled to a refund, replacement or repair IF it the damage was inherent in the camera. You don't get anything if the damage was caused by you. Argos, not unreasonably, are entitled to have the item inspected to see which one is the case.

It can be surprisingly easy to damage items like this, even if you think you've been careful. If you genuinely believe that you didn't damage it, then ask to speak to a manager and/or write a registered letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Sam Mac wrote: »

The manager was a <SNIP>as well. Smirking the whole time I was speaking to him and just treating me like <SNIP>.

Success!!

Would you mind posting that email address?

I bought a kettle the other day and the very next day I couldn't open the lid. Pressing the button did nothing. No matter how much I tried to open it the lid wouldn't budge. Took it back with all the packaging opened it up and what do you know, the lid popped open :rolleyes:

I tried to explain to her that it's got an intermittent fault. There she was, all tattoos and chewing gum telling be I don't need to be opening the lid anyway. Since it wouldn't do it for her she can't do anything about it.

Now the stupid thing is leaking from the bottom and I can't be bothered to go back and they telling me they can't see anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - keep this discussion off thread.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

If I ever have an electrical item that develops a fault I always google the make & model to see if there are any similar issues. It's been the case with a couple of items that they were known issues, so it may be worth your while researching your item before continuing your discussion with the retailer.

Advertisement