Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here Part 4 (quote a picture, get a 24h ban!!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

166man wrote: »
    Life's too short to spend €10k on a 79bhp diesel Megane either....! :D

I have been driving for three years now and have had 12 cars I think...? :v

I really don't get why a car seems to have to be 150-200bhp before it becomes interesting and sure if it's under a 100bhp then is some kind of a lethal death trap slow.

To me how fast a car goes is a certain amount of the whole package but there has to be more to it than that. Is my megane fast no it's not but is still enjoyable to drive it's 89bhp 12 seconds to 100kmh and just over 180kmh top speed. However if you floor it and drive hard up through the gears does progress fast yes. Will it break every irish speed limit in third gear yes. So to me it's plenty fast.

You seem to have this image of me crawling away from a roundabout having to pull into the hardshoulder to let people pass me and I can assure you it's a hell of a long way of that. I think it's kind of sad that someone would need a serious amount of bhp under the bonnet before they enjoy a car to me every car has its pros and cons the points you like and don't like so much more than how fast can I get to 60 and what's it's top speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Bpmull wrote: »
    I really don't get why a car seems to have to be 150-200bhp before it becomes interesting and sure if it's under a 100bhp then is some kind of a lethal death trap slow.

Weight of car plays an important factor. My e39's 150bhp in a much lighter car would be a rocket but sadly it weighs 1,500kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Bpmull wrote:

I know it's nice to have poke and what not. I do overhear some of the young fellas on about remapping golfs or whatever upto 150/60 whatever bhp. It'll be quicker off the mark, and get to 100k maybe 3/4 seconds faster than a lower powered car, but then what, sure you have to stay at the limit? Quicker to overtake, fine, that's about all though.

The whole fascination with mad power has me dumbfounded, if it's a track car, then that's fine, but for day to day driving I don't really get it.

Obviously there is dangerously slow, which wouldn't pull you out of bed, but leaving them aside.

I hope I don't get slated for this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

My mate actually has a non-turbo diesel Renault 19 called Dangerously Slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I know it's nice to have poke and what not. I do overhear some of the young fellas on about remapping golfs or whatever upto 150/60 whatever bhp. It'll be quicker off the mark, and get to 100k maybe 3/4 seconds faster than a lower powered car, but then what, sure you have to stay at the limit? Quicker to overtake, fine, that's about all though.

The whole fascination with mad power has me dumbfounded, if it's a track car, then that's fine, but for day to day driving I don't really get it.

Obviously there is dangerously slow, which wouldn't pull you out of bed, but leaving them aside.

I hope I don't get slated for this.....

Power is good for a few reasons, overtaking being the main one but for me, actually being able to join a Motorway/Dual Carriageway at the proper speed to merge was a big thing for me when changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I have a tremendous fear of being late for things

So i need all the horsepowers and infact all of the torques too.

So there.

PUNCTUALITY FOR ALL

There is nothing like having the ability to overtake 5 or 6 cars safely in a few seconds. Power is everything. The more the better.

There is nothing like having the ability to overtake 5 or 6 cars safely in a few seconds. Power is everything. The more the better.

What about too much power? Or is there such a thing?

Some gombeen and plenty of power can't and usually won't end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

+1 there is a american 1980s saab advert i was trying to embed but basically it says:

saab 9000 turbo , overtaking ability of a v8 with the economy of a 4:cool:

What about too much power? Or is there such a thing?

Some gombeen and plenty of power can't and usually won't end well.

No such thing if you're not a gombeen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

"With great power, comes great fuel costs"

- Supergurrier 2015

No such thing if you're not a gombeen.

Didn't mean to come across blunt in that previous post, kind of read that way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I really don't get why a car seems to have to be 150-200bhp before it becomes interesting.........

To me how fast a car goes is a certain amount of the whole package but there has to be more to it than that........

Have to say I agree with Bp! I'm a car nut, always have and always will be. I've over 500 diecast model cars and have had my own cars for 15 years now. I've sales brochures and dozens of hard back books on cars.

But I don't like supercars. Pointless to me. I go to the Classic Car show in the NEC nearly every year, regularly go to Goodwood Festival of Speed etc. Classic car shows. I enjoy seeing looked after family cars from the 80's/90's. Sure I'm doing up a '97 Laguna FFS!! I have no supercars in my diecast collection, I mainly collect BMW (have at least one model of every BMW made), Renault and Ford models. And everyone that looks at them relates more to them than if I'd supercars as most people wouldn't have any connection with them. My dream car is a Citroen C6 of all things!

To me it's all about the freedom having your own wheels gives you. My first car was an 18 month old Micra that cost £3,500 to insure and I drove it everywhere. All over Ireland and even England. Go where I want when I want. Couldn't give a crap how long it takes I just enjoy driving and exploring.

Didn't mean to come across blunt in that previous post, kind of read that way :)

Jaysus not at all. I know where you were coming from too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

renofan wrote: »
    Have to say I agree with Bp! I'm a car nut, always have and always will be. I've over 500 diecast model cars and have had my own cars for 15 years now. I've sales brochures and dozens of hard back books on cars.

But I don't like supercars. Pointless to me. I go to the Classic Car show in the NEC nearly every year, regularly go to Goodwood Festival of Speed etc. Classic car shows. I enjoy seeing looked after family cars from the 80's/90's. Sure I'm doing up a '97 Laguna FFS!! I have no supercars in my diecast collection, I mainly collect BMW (have at least one model of every BMW made), Renault and Ford models. And everyone that looks at them relates more to them than if I'd supercars as most people wouldn't have any connection with them. My dream car is a Citroen C6 of all things!

To me it's all about the freedom having your own wheels gives you. My first car was an 18 month old Micra that cost £3,500 to insure and I drove it everywhere. All over Ireland and even England. Go where I want when I want. Couldn't give a crap how long it takes I just enjoy driving and exploring.

Great post man, it sure is about the freedom it gives you!
    I don't like supercars either, I'd like a gt3 rs or a granturismo at some point but that'd be it. Neither of them super cars.

But power definitely comes into it, the feeling of just tootling along in the e36 and coming out onto a straight with nobody and going "yeah feck it".
    Dropping it two gears and hearing that 6cyl sound. The thrill of the speed. Our when not going hard but just pushing on a twisty road, feeling the balance of the car etc. There's the thrill.

I wouldn't even count my car quick to be fair, it's only 180bhp or so which these days is becoming normal.

I totally agree with everything you said, but you cannot get the same thrills from driving a dacia etc.

All you get is factory built in understeer, no feel and no thrill whatsoever. When in college i had passats and golfs and stuff for eco reasons.
    They were great and reliable but they were boring.

I don't blame you for wanting a c6 either. I'd love an xm!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

To me how fast a car goes is a certain amount of the whole package but there has to be more to it than that. Is my megane fast no it's not but is still enjoyable to drive it's 89bhp 12 seconds to 100kmh and just over 180kmh top speed. However if you floor it and drive hard up through the gears does progress fast yes. Will it break every irish speed limit in third gear yes. So to me it's plenty fast.

You seem to have this image of me crawling away from a roundabout having to pull into the hardshoulder to let people pass me and I can assure you it's a hell of a long way of that. I think it's kind of sad that someone would need a serious amount of bhp under the bonnet before they enjoy a car to me every car has its pros and cons the points you like and don't like so much more than how fast can I get to 60 and what's it's top speed.

I think you have taken me up wrong on what I was saying. The fact that it's only 89bhp isn't the only reason I wouldn't spend €10k on one personally. Remember you're talking to a chap here who drives a 120bhp 156 which weighs 1400kg....

The thing with speed/power is its all relative. If I was driving a 50bhp Polo all my life and then got into my 1.6 156 it'd feel like a rocket but it's not a quick car. It's the same with your Megane, if you got into that after driving a 1980's straight diesel pick up truck it would feel fast, but in reality it is not a fast car. To suggest a 1.5 is "plenty fast" just isn't true. Go out and drive some other cars!

Not all cars under 100bhp are death traps obviously, but many of them are. Much of this comes down to the gearing as well as the lack of power. I notice this especially in more modern diesels, all the "power" is between 1500rpm and 2500rpm, meaning that for overtaking you have to be in the right gear, if you get it wrong, you get a flat spot and it's plain dangerous.

I'm not having a go at you nor do I have some "image" of you, merely stating a fact that an 89bhp Megane diesel is not a quick car, nor will it ever be, you will realise this when you drive other cars. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Around Sandy Mount, traffic was crap so decided to park up for a while until it cleared.
    350753.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Needs a touch more low I think Chris :)

YbFocus wrote: »
    Needs a touch more low I think Chris :)

oh, I know that, trust me. Its on normal springs right now and the rear is ridiculous, at least I can use the muti-story in work now. Will be a while before I get new coilovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

at least I can use the muti-story in work now
    Love that car Chris, but I'll never understand lowering an everyday driver until it scrapes in everyday situations!! :p Please don't make it look like a VAG that has been hauling too many bags of fertiliser from the co-op!

• Advertisement

Love that car Chris, but I'll never understand lowering an everyday driver until it scrapes in everyday situations!! :p Please don't make it look like a VAG that has been hauling too many bags of fertiliser from the co-op!

It wont be going too low, I just want to get rid of the gap at the top of the arches a little bit, when it was low before going into the multistory was fine but coming out and going down hill some times the front bumper would scrap when I reached the flat again, not a nice sound and as you say it is a daily.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Spent 3 hours washing the outside of my car today. Took all the wheels off, washed under the arches and gave the wheels a good scrub on both sides. Whilst it's not perfect, it wasn't this clean since I bought it. Finally replaced the center caps, and put on new nut covers too. Fitted new mats aswell. Plan on getting a terraclean done next month hopefully, and getting the ariel replaced too.

E1FD1862215B4BFDBA159A0C3C03CB5C-0000324795-0003767036-00800L-05B0EC4E4BE3492E9931AEEC97FB901E.jpg

E97384359B6547CCB444802DDF3D5C8F-0000324795-0003767038-00800L-4FB0E9106D8C454BB3EA33770B1CAD25.jpg

E42125DE54254B759B28235A43AE5A7D-0000324795-0003767037-00800L-7D9A49499B5A446E94745425DE045952.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Looks very nice and clean, beertons. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Managed to get out early Saturday and went at the 350..

Was washed, De-tared, Clayed, Polished with the DA and waxed. All in all about 7 hours.. To be honest the paintwork was not bad at all.

And about 10 minutes after taking the picture it pissed rain so was unable to get some good pictures.. Next time!!

350t2yw.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Probably went a bit ott taking the wheels off, but they got a good clean anyway. The pads have a bit to go yet thankfully. All for a road trip to Galway on Friday, I hope the lads appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

4FE8841B-1C87-4503-A2A5-EB8CE6F38B21.jpg

77A016A6-74F6-4FB1-B5E1-012BA550F110.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

All about power:weight ratio. Some may go the low & slow route and that's fine too.

I have an odd choice for my next car. Fairly low on power but very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Get rid of that hard top!! You never know when that one sunny day will come and you dont wanna miss it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

It'll be coming off soon don't worry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some of my previous cars:

dcV3.jpg

Xm9eZ.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement