Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here Part 4 (quote a picture, get a 24h ban!!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Hachiko, those last 5 dropbox pics don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

GvidoR wrote: »
    Hachiko, those last 5 dropbox pics don't work.

dropbox is shiite, i went back to google.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

That IS is a great looker, especially the 250 with the twin exhaust :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Hachiko wrote: »
    you always get people slagging off Lexus but more often than not they have never even driven one. FWIW Lexus are made in a different factory to Toyotas, they are like apples and oranges after driving my brothers 14 reg Avensis I can confirm, and yes that did boo.

http://blog.lexus.co.uk/25-lexus-world-firsts/

Your IS has the same pedals as my celica going by your photo. I can see some other shared interior parts too, the bonnet pull for example.

The switchgear etc is all distinctly toyota-esque too. Not that that's a bad thing.

Obviously an IS is going to feel a little nicer than an avensis considering there is €15k minimum in the price, but lets not act like there is no connection :)

interior2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

apart from the pedals I can see absolutely no connection with the lexus pic and that one tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Your IS has the same pedals as my celica going by your photo. I can see some other shared interior parts too, the bonnet pull for example.

The switchgear etc is all distinctly toyota-esque too. Not that that's a bad thing.

Obviously an IS is going to feel a little nicer than an avensis considering there is €15k minimum in the price, but lets not act like there is no connection :)

Even though Hachiko will stress they are made in different factories, Lexus and Toyota are very simular DNA wise;) Some Japanese market Toyotas where branded as Lexus in diffrent parts of the world.

This is why I like Lexus, its Toyota's luxery divsion. Toyota to me are Supra, Soarer, AE86, Celica GT4, Chaser, Mr2, Aristo, Crown. To others they are Corolla, Avensis, Yaris.

apart from the pedals I can see absolutely no connection with the lexus pic and that one tbh

The switchgear to the right of the steering wheel in both cars are interchangable, as in the buttons are the same standardised dimensions for interchangability between models.

It's hard to see in my pic but the bonnet pull handle is the same too.

Pedals, same.

If we are being pedantic, it looks like the same pile carpet as the celica too.

And that's just what can be seen in one photo to connect it to a car a decade older from a 'lesser' manufacturer.

Saying there is nothing in common between toyota and lexus is a bit like saying there is no skoda stuff in your audi.

So yeah. The lexus has nothing to do with toyota. Except for all the shared stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Hachiko - your seats are the exact same as the ones in my Mazda6 MPS!!!

I see. Yeah all the minor cheaper components that are insignificant are.But the main features of the car are polar opposites.

to the average person with no real interest in toyota, I would be surprised if they spotted the little things you mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Plot twist, lexus's are actually mazdas

• Advertisement

Just to add, i'm not trying to belittle the lexus. I'd love it.

Plot twist, lexus's are actually mazdas

Plot twist - your face will be eaten by a million oompa loompas who all have very small willies :eek:

I'm full of drink :D

The is250 is much better put together than any Celica, no disrespect at all, down to the solid door clunk and quality material used inside. The almost silence when driving is testament to all the insulation used in the cabin and engine bay (Toyotas wont have this attention to detail). I was startled from the sound of diesel cars after getting my car initially, no lie. The seats are top quality also.

As pointed out I was driving my brothers almost new Avensis and there is no hope I would ever swap that for a is250. its worth keeping in mind the is250 is just low end material for Lexus, the LS range really up the ante.

I did consider a few cars before I got this, I discounted all BMWs and AUDIs due to reliability/turbos and was considering a Legacy 3.0R but the lexus would be a more secluded and gadget orientated place for me and it had the ML unit also.

Its best to just drive a Lexus and Toyota and make your own mind up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

It only makes logical sense that many parts are shared, building different variations is costly, so design one and ship it to all the sister companies is a good lean practice.
    Less variation, less cost, easier stock control etc.
    Smart business.

I guarantee the parts would be into the hundreds if you could strip everything back. ABS units, window motors, fuel pumps and more would likely all be the same.

It'd be quite interesting to see just how much of a crossover there is actually!

I see. Yeah all the minor cheaper components that are insignificant are.But the main features of the car are polar opposites.

to the average person with no real interest in toyota, I would be surprised if they spotted the little things you mentioned.

But i did spot them, just because others wouldn't, that doesn't take away from the fact; and it goes to quite clearly prove they share a lot. If i can spot that many things in one photo alone.

I also wouldn't consider the switchgear and pedals "minor components", they are the the most frequently used parts of the car and the means through which the owner interacts with it.

Edit: i feel the need to repeat, i dont doubt the lexus is probably more refined as an item and a pleasure to be in, but you'd be deluded to think it isn't loaded with generic toyota parts.

heated and cooled, with all electric adjustment? lumbar etc and 3 memory positions for passenger also that is linked to the keyless fob?

just double checking. !

all cars have pedals tbf I dont think too many people take that much notice

I rather see the dash, the dials, the sterring wheel, the arm rest, the trim, the stereo

everything that makes the car are more comfortable and classier experience to the driver.

Comparing these and I see no comparison

just saw your edit, ah right fair enough

heated and cooled, with all electric adjustment? lumbar etc and 3 memory positions for passenger also that is linked to the keyless fob?

just double checking. !

No, just the same design. The MPS did have memory and elec adjustment linked to fob but no heating or cooling.

But i did spot them, just because others wouldn't, that doesn't take away from the fact; and it goes to quite clearly prove they share a lot. If i can spot that many things in one photo alone.

I also wouldn't consider the switchgear and pedals "minor components", they are the the most frequently used parts of the car and the means through which the owner interacts with it.

Edit: i feel the need to repeat, i dont doubt the lexus is probably more refined as an item and a pleasure to be in, but you'd be deluded to think it isn't loaded with generic toyota parts.

they might have some generic parts but how about looking at some ECU or wiring diagrams and see if they have anything in common, I would think not. I think that is what pp is getting at.

This is the illuminated scuff plate and the dash.

20140531_174808.jpg

20140531_174821.jpg

they might have some generic parts but how about looking at some ECU or wiring diagrams and see if they have anything in common, I would think not. I think that is what pp is getting at.

This is the illuminated scuff plate and the dash.

]

Look, i'm not even joking here. The power folding mirror switch is the same as the celica. That electric window panel is in every toyota ever with 4 electric windows and the door lock tab is the same as my celica. I havn't photos to hand but i trust you trust me.

It will definitely share electronics with toyota. Toyota make very reliable electronics and toyota make lexus. It'l have a host of shared sensors and motors etc.

• Advertisement

Look, i'm not even joking here. The power folding mirror switch is the same as the celica. That electric window panel is in every toyota ever with 4 electric windows and the door lock tab is the same as my celica. I havn't photos to hand but i trust you trust me.

It will definitely share electronics with toyota. Toyota make very reliable electronics and toyota make lexus. It'l have a host of shared sensors and motors etc.

The proof in the pudding is just driving them at the end of the day. I have no reason to believe a new Avensis is any better than my car based on what I drove last year. The best way I can sum up this is that you will not buy a Toyota (celica/avensis etc) after owning a Lexus. No more than you would get a Seat Leon or a Civic or anything like that. It would be a step backwards.

I would advise you to drive a is250 and get back to me. Im not saying its a maybach or anything, there are far better cars than a is250 out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Have to agree with Toyotafanboi.... The Toyota parts bin was well and truly rumbled through!!

In fairness, the IS250 is much nicer than any car Toyota offer in their line up. But I would suggest that under the skin, you'll find even more Toyota bits than above. Them window switches are even in Landcruisers. (Mostly sold badged Lexus in the US too)

Not trying to run down your car, it's seriously nice. But it's a bit like saying that an Audi TT shares almost no parts with a Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Nobody is denying that the IS is a much, much (much) nicer drive, but it does use a good few bits from Toyota. No big deal really

Exactly duke, lovely car and far above toyota in looks etc (except for that gt86 :) ).
    It really would have a massive amount of toyota bits in it, nothing wrong with it but just a simple fact of a parent company wanting to save money!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Pictures lads...?

eyip3r.jpg

The old speed machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Went to my local motor factor to purchase service parts for my IS(220d) today. I asked did he have it all in stock,

"of course i do" he said,

"sure they're the same engine as in a Hi-lux"

how dare he, the dirty commoner :)

A VW Polo GT3RS VRS RS!!! My god :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Rare beast on these shores that polo

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Have to agree with Toyotafanboi.... The Toyota parts bin was well and truly rumbled through!!

In fairness, the IS250 is much nicer than any car Toyota offer in their line up. But I would suggest that under the skin, you'll find even more Toyota bits than above. Them window switches are even in Landcruisers. (Mostly sold badged Lexus in the US too)

Not trying to run down your car, it's seriously nice. But it's a bit like saying that an Audi TT shares almost no parts with a Golf

This will go on forever but unless you drive an IS or LS lexus and then go driving a toyota it will go on forever.

and ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

This will go on forever but unless you drive an IS or LS lexus and then go driving a toyota it will go on forever.

and ever.
    Are you presuming you're the o my one to have driven a Lexus?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement