Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here Part 4 (quote a picture, get a 24h ban!!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

If you can fit a shoe between the tyre and arch, your car is too high.

10.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

YbFocus wrote: »
    I've been noticing this from some posters of late, I can't see why it's always a bad idea??

I've lowered about half my cars, if I put bigger wheels on a car I will always lower it, in reality you are only bringing it back to standard height with the right spring choice.

You can go mad, I have sometimes too, but I can never understand this bad idea/dangerous/destroy your car stuff that it entails.

Well here's one for you.. There's a thingymajiggy that sits over the wheel. It's connected to the brakes/spring etc.

(just above the tyre, near the number 3 in red)

rsu3x4.jpg

On my car now, when the wheels are fully locked, there's about 5mm (guessing) between that steel support and the tyre. Effectively, if i went over a bump at full lock, the tyre would hit it.

If you lower a car, does that not increase the chances of the tyre hitting parts inside the wheel well?

(apologies for my shambles of an effort at describing that car part, but i've genuinely no idea what it's called! :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Patww79 wrote: »

Very true Patww, but lowering a car by a considerable amount, say 50mm (I have gone to -120), will far outweigh the standard suspension setup.
    It is a compromise between comfort and handling as standard and getting the centre of gravity down any decent amount makes incredible differences.

You'l notice it with springs but on coilovers it is night and day.
    I hear you on the bushings and stuff, but poly bushing will stiffen the car more and will leave you with unbreakable parts for about 130-150% of standard price.

My latest trail arm upgrade has a lifetime warranty from powerflex, if I manage to wear them out they will replace them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Patww79 wrote: »

I love your play on words :)

I have noticed a harsher ride and a bit more noise transferred inside but it doesn't bother me, it probably would when I'm older but for now I like mental sharp turn in, a little slip in the back and a 6cyl note :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

GvidoR wrote:
    If you can fit a shoe between the tyre and arch, your car is too high.

I can fit my three middle fingers over the rear wheel of the mondeo. Nose and front is quite lower though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

I can fit my three middle fingers over the rear wheel of the mondeo. Nose and front is quite lower though.

I can fit an A4 sheet in my wheel arch. Actually I can even fit a full pack of 300 sheets :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

had a bit of time to kill back at home today, so gave the mothership a wash using the 1BM a sponge and a leather chamois :)
    IMG_20150901_200759.jpg
    IMG_20150901_201047.jpg
    IMG_20150901_200825.jpg

and the celica too!
    IMG_20150901_200939.jpg
    IMG_20150901_200918.jpg

no love for the sistership though :P
    IMG_20150901_200950.jpg

• Advertisement

Ships. Ships everywhere.

Why no love for the Yaris? :P
    Since you are a Toyota fanboy I would expect you to wash that before a Fiat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

YbFocus wrote: »
    I've been noticing this from some posters of late, I can't see why it's always a bad idea??

I've lowered about half my cars, if I put bigger wheels on a car I will always lower it, in reality you are only bringing it back to standard height with the right spring choice.

You can go mad, I have sometimes too, but I can never understand this bad idea/dangerous/destroy your car stuff that it entails.

Insurance is one reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Insurance is one reason.

And if you declare it what is the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

166man wrote: »
    And if you declare it what is the problem?

I don't really think anyone would though. They would charge an arm and a leg to have a lowered car declared properly.

Can you imagine the HP gains with a lower car????? $$$

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Pov06 wrote: »
    I don't really think anyone would though. They would charge an arm and a leg to have a lowered car declared properly.

Can you imagine the HP gains with a lower car????? $$$

I lowered my previous car and declared it as my insurance would have been void if i didn't, think it cost like €100 extra on my premium, some wouldn't quote me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It is catch 22 like that.

Do the wrong thing and don't declare it, probably be grand.

Do the right thing and declare it, probably make your car uninsurable.

I remember looking at an Audi A4 on adverts before that was lowered. Was on the phone to insurance company to find out about the price difference in insuring it, and, just in making conversation, mentioned it was lowered, but that I had intended to bring it back to it's original height.

Out of nowhere they were looking for me to submit an engineers report that the car was at it's factory height before they'd insure it. Made me wish I'd never opened my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Go on then.

Good auld humpy, the humpy Corolla :D
    cawraulla.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭BeatBoxing Blowfish

Going by the cartell info, that's a rare example of a peugeot XUD toyota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Back in the big leagues!

20150902_123947_zpsftb162kp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Is that a padre pio foxhole?

What happened to the E39?

Of course! Only the finest in car safety for me :D
    GvidoR wrote: »
    What happened to the E39?

She's in getting some electrics reworked, have a dodgy rear cluster and some frayed/shady wiring in the boot, he's also looking for the PDC fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,296 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Time to scrap that 525i lad :p

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭BeatBoxing Blowfish

Who needs insurance with Padre on the dash

Time to scrap that 525i lad :p

Sure she's only worth scrap value these days :P

I would have gotten rid of that as quick as humanly possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

GvidoR wrote: »
    I would have gotten rid of that as quick as humanly possible.

Thats witch talk.... BURN THE WICKEN!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

the one thing worse than a padre pio is a padre pio half scraped off but they gave up because it was such an effort. then they're left with padre absolutely pissed sitting on the windscreen just egging them on to crash

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement