Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here Part 4 (quote a picture, get a 24h ban!!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Both thinking of the wrong car I'm afraid!

Yep, confirmed on the bookface :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

If your getting a mustang I think it should be done right and get the big petrol instead of cheaping out and getting the ecoboost. Just doesn't make sense to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

OSI wrote: »
    An extra 16 grand up front, more than a grand extra per year in tax, 20% worse MPG minimum. Easy to judge someone for cheaping out when you're not the one handing over 50 grand.
    If you're handing over 50k for a car would a baby mustang be your top choice? If it was a company car I wouldn't say no, but if it's my own money I wouldn't bother.

In a few years there'll be a fair few ecoboost's with a 5.0 badge, a la the numerous M5 and S4 diesels...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

What are your other options for a coupe style car in that price range? A 2.0 TDI A5?

Its extra tax unfortunately that will kill it. Mid 60's for a V8 manual RHD Mustang isn't too bad really, and if drive correctly fuel economy would probably be there or there abouts. That €2350 tax band just cannot be feasible.

I'd be very interested to drive both, have a funny feeling there wouldn't be as much of a difference between the two in daily driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

"If I can't have the most premium Mustang, i'd rather have no Mustang".

Personally I don't get that mindset, but i've said that a few times on here and appear to be mostly on my own.

There's a lot to be said for the eco boost, it's still a lovely car but still has fairly hefty bills. It seems like the logical choice for a guy who's willing to take a hit on the purchase price, take a big hit on depreciation, take a really big hit at the pumps and take a massive hit on motor tax bit still wants a nice car.

Maybe in other countries there's a stronger case for the 5.0, but in Ireland unless you are literally a millionare, there really isn't much to be said for it; except for from the guys who aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is.

• Advertisement

What are your other options for a coupe style car in that price range? A 2.0 TDI A5?

I wouldn't be buying a new car if I was going to throw 50K in to a sports coupe. The 2nd hand market has a whole lot more choice and bang for your buck.
    Maybe in other countries there's a stronger case for the 5.0, but in Ireland unless you are literally a millionare, there really isn't much to be said for it
    If you're a millionaire you're not going to be in the least bit excited about the prospects of buying a 5.0 mustang.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Theres not too many new RWD cars for about 50k that will churn out 300+ bhp.

For example, the RWD GT86 is 200bhp and give or take 42k and if youre in the ball park, price wise, I think you'd be leaning towards the Mustang over the GT86.

For that price, youre in a good price zone, the only other cars I'd have that are RWD and big power over the Mustang would be the M4 or the Jag F type and theyre about 45-70k more expensive than the entry Mustang.

smash wrote: »
    If you're a millionaire you're not going to be in the least bit excited about the prospects of buying a 5.0 mustang.

What if you're a millionare who likes Mustangs? I'm pretty sure they exist.

"Millionare" is pretty sensationalised as a term now anyway, it's relatively achievable to be a millionare now if you start young, so a Mustang may very well be a millionare option. If you are self employed or run a good SME and you've made a million, youl know that it isn't infinite and probably wont be blowing 75% of it solely on the purchase price of a supercar, so a 5.0 Mustang might be a real contender, depending on taste.

What if you're a millionare who likes Mustangs? I'm pretty sure they exist.

"Millionare" is pretty sensationalised as a term now anyway, it's relatively achievable to be a millionare now if you start young, so a Mustang may very well be a millionare option. If you are self employed or run a good SME and you've made a million, youl know that it isn't infinite and probably wont be blowing 75% of it solely on the purchase price of a supercar, so a 5.0 Mustang might be a real contender, depending on taste.

Only if you're the type to like a new reg plate. Drop a few years and you can buy a Shelby GT 500 with over 650hp for cheaper. Or wait a few years for a Shelby version to be released.

If 50k would get me a Nissan GTR thats the route I'd be going down. A bit bland looking compared to the Mustang but something I'd much prefer to own although finding one for circa 50k would be near impossible IMO.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If 50k would get me a Nissan GTR thats the route I'd be going down. A bit bland looking compared to the Mustang but something I'd much prefer to own although finding one for circa 50k would be near impossible IMO.
    It will happen though. You can get one from Japan for around €40k but it's obviously the VRT that's the killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

If a GTR pops up on the classifieds for 50k in the distant future we will be scrapping for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

If I had ~€50,000 lying around for toys I'd buy this, enjoy chayper tax bah, and keep the other €25k in me ass-pocket. :cool:

It will happen though. You can get one from Japan for around €40k but it's obviously the VRT that's the killer.

Ya, I had a quick look on some English car sites and theyre still fetching £45-50k for an '09 '10 GTR.

Thats that option well and truly scrapped. :o

Only if you're the type to like a new reg plate. Drop a few years and you can buy a Shelby GT 500 with over 650hp for cheaper. Or wait a few years for a Shelby version to be released.

And plenty of people do.

For me though, I look forward to the day I can purchase a car I like brand new and not because of the reg.

Not spending weeks/ months in the classifieds looking for a car close to the spec I want, settling and then trying to build the rest myself. It must be lovely to walk in and open a book, pick your trim, pick your colour, pick your seats, pick your wheels, pick your accessories. People enjoy that, particularly when they worked hard to get it. It's nicer than buying someone elses second hand vehicle (just because it's faster) and accepting the caveats that come with that.

And plenty of people do.

For me though, I look forward to the day I can purchase a car I like brand new and not because of the reg...

I'd only ever be tempted to buy one car brand-new, and that's if I were a multi-millionaire - an Aston Martin DB9, for the sheer unadulterated filth of it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Can barely get a clean R34 GTR for 50k, never mind the newer ones :(

the R34 has gone mega cult though, is the 35 that fanatical yet? i thought they were sub £50k sterling new?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I'm still of the opinion that the 34 was the last real gtr, the new one is something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

the R34 has gone mega cult though, is the 35 that fanatical yet? i thought they were sub £50k sterling new?
    I think they're still 70k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

50k I'd buy the following.

M5 shell
    LS3 crate motor supercharged
    Assorted parts
    Trailer
    Fun track car like a Megane rs250/275

Spend rest of cyar parts for track car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The 2.3 Mustang does represent comparative "value" in the Irish market though for what it delivers. This is purely comparing new cars. The argument (and I get it) about buying a 2nd hand M5/RS4/911/Gtr/flying saucer doesn't come into it. Discount the pros and cons of 2nd hand vs new, there is no other +300bhp, RWD, LSD, coupe in Ireland that can be bought new that I am aware of. And in fairness to Ford, they have upped their game on the interior.

A new GT86 was mentioned earlier, it has less power and a cheaper interior. I know which I would prefer. What else is there out there, around that price point that delivers a bit of power and RWD?

I don't know of anything, happy to hear though.

The only people that should be saying it's not a real Mustang unless it's got a V8, are the people who buy the V8. A huge premium for a burble and a few extra horses in my view.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    ...A new GT86 was mentioned earlier, it has less power and a cheaper interior. I know which I would prefer. What else is there out there, around that price point that delivers a bit of power and RWD?

I don't know of anything, happy to hear though...

Porsche Boxster/Cayman?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

We've people ranting about the Ecoboost Mustang in this thread and the Mustang thread itself, several times now.

Some people really need to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Filthy up the mountains. Donegal.

Edit: have all LEDs on the front now instead of half and half.

2qddc2g.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

m135i / 235i are €53/58 k respectably with 326hp.

Numbers alone as we know can't dictate it though, as the EcoBoost does the 0-62 sprint in 5.8 if I'm not mistaken.

The 228i M Sport will @ €44k will cover the same sprint in the same time, and leave you 6k left over for options.

Still a mustang for me though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

If I were in the market for the 2.3 Ecoboost engine I'd rather have it in the new RS

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just got myself new car. Bangornomics material. :P

480eu 2 months nct and 2 months tax. Should be enough until my Subaru sells and when I find a new car.

DSC_1109_zpste7rmqxt.jpg

DSC_1110_zps6euwxzj7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

That's crazy value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

vintagevrs wrote: »
    That's crazy value

Aye, I am pretty sure ill be able to sell it for almost same when done, if I get nct for it again, I can sell for even more.

Funny enough we went to cork check another car. A corolla for 450eu. It was really rough outside, but we knew that and it was not an issue, though seller, asshole, never said a thing about clutch being on its last legs. We offered 300eu for it, but he said no, so fudge him.
    So when he drove off, we sat in a carpark and going through donedeal. See if anything there while we here, found this bad boy and gave it a call. Drove it and it was grand.
    Seller was a really nice fella too. It was technically 500eu, but we wrestled out 20eu for petrol. :P

Next step is: Not to get seen in it!!! I will have a drive of shame, but hopefully not for long. :) My last bangornomics 500eu ford mondeo lasted over a year, then was parked for a year, put throught nct, sold to a couple who drove it to spain, drove it around there for a year and got back with it to Ireland. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement