Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here Part 4 (quote a picture, get a 24h ban!!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Almost there...

10431812_1504001386479271_1954110483_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

As some of you know, over the last year in college I have been building a racing car for my final year project. 22 of us built the car for the Formula Student competition. This is a competition held every year where our car/team will compete against other mechanical engineering students from around the world. The unveiling of the car was tonight and I thought that a few here might be interested. Not strictly my car but after designing and building it with a group of my friends over the last year I feel it's more mine than any other car will be!!!! :):)

The photos aren't the best, taken on the phone in the rush etc.

724C82A4415B4AFC8F392630BB0092ED-0000363222-0003596166-01024L-35ECFD81DC7F4C488F6CDF09928212D6.jpg

423802DEB23C41E4A36DA34A543FC328-0000363222-0003596165-01024L-A216839ABA5D4A5CA81106F241EC4D66.jpg

8347198A55FF4A0CA7A616C771F502BD-0000363222-0003596164-01024L-A70F54E400DD4FDDBD0BD05E5085229A.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

That looks like a factory job!

Looks fantastic, I have a 11 year old nephew who'd love to see that, he sticks engines into all sorts of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Impressive stuff Deb, where is the race being held?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

what course are you doing zed?motorsports somethingy? bolton st?

• Advertisement

YbFocus wrote: »
    Impressive stuff Deb, where is the race being held?

Silverstone :D:D
    davycc wrote: »
    what course are you doing zed?motorsports somethingy? bolton st?

Mechanical engineering

Forgot the most important pic :D:p

4346CCBA23064CA398C4619B51DA3CEF-0000363222-0003596167-01024L-B4426349DA4A4A98A311E7097FE041BC.jpg

Fantastic opportunity :)

I done the same but we made a centrifugal fan :(

Fantastic opportunity :)

I done the same but we made a centrifugal fan :(

It is alright :)

Cars will never be as cool as fans :p

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    It is alright :)

Cars will never be as cool as fans :p

Smartass :)

It was cool, 4 man project.
    We basically built a turbo except she had electric drive :)

Smartass :)

It was cool, 4 man project.
    We basically built a turbo except she had electric drive :)

Ah I'm just winding you up :p

That's cool alright, I don't think I've heard of any mechanical engineering FYPs that I don't actually find interesting.:o

• Advertisement

Ah I'm just winding you up :p

That's cool alright, I don't think I've heard of any mechanical engineering FYPs that I don't actually find interesting.:o

Testing and calibrating set time on a liquid coating used for urinal catheters?
    One of the guys got that this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

dgt wrote: »
    It's a w202, a right cracker of a car with lots and lots of character :cool:

It'll prob make the odd subliminal appearance now and again ;):D

Like this easter egg again!

nice gtv:cool:

Testing and calibrating set time on a liquid coating used for urinal catheters?
    One of the guys got that this year :D

I change my mind :pac:

One of the most interesting project from my class was a guy who developed a suspension system that uses a rack and pinion and a servo motor to replace the spring and damper. Very cool as you literally can have any spring rate and damping ratio you want including variable spring rates and damping depending on the conditions the suspension is going through at an instant in time! It has massive potential to become a real thing that we could see being fitted to cars :)

I change my mind :pac:

One of the most interesting project from my class was a guy who developed a suspension system that uses a rack and pinion and a servo motor to replace the spring and damper. Very cool as you literally can have any spring rate and damping ratio you want including variable spring rates and damping depending on the conditions the suspension is going through at an instant in time! It has massive potential to become a real thing that we could see being fitted to cars :)

That is amazing! Really impressive stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

That's class man, well done!!

That is amazing! Really impressive stuff!

It's still in early stages but he did get it working. Hopefully someone will continue on with it next year and develop a nice piece of software to allow exact values for damping and spring rate to be inputted and changes according to conditions etc. The guy this year got it to the point where the control function was working correctly and the spring rate and damping could be changed by turning pots, however, there is currently no way of knowing what the parameters are set to without working it out from plots tracking the displacement. i.e. you can't just set it to a spring rate of 20kN/m with damping ratio of 0.6. I hope I'm making some sense :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Jaypers it came on since i seen it! Well done :D

Jaypers it came on since i seen it! Well done :D

Oh you have no idea! The launch was at 6.30pm. The car was lifted into position at 6.18. This morning it was a frame with an engine in it. No interior, no bodywork, no suspension, no wheels etc etc etc. Everything was ready to be fitted but nothing was! Some serious work went into it today :pac:

Thats the fun of it though, the final rush :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

As some of you know, over the last year in college I have been building a racing car for my final year project. 22 of us built the car for the Formula Student competition. This is a competition held every year where our car/team will compete against other mechanical engineering students from around the world. The unveiling of the car was tonight and I thought that a few here might be interested. Not strictly my car but after designing and building it with a group of my friends over the last year I feel it's more mine than any other car will be!!!! :):)

The photos aren't the best, taken on the phone in the rush etc.

Great job DZ, very interested to see the final product.. A cousin of mine is on that build too.. I spotted him and his father in the pics..

Well done to all involved.. Looks class.

• Advertisement

That is amazing Deb and something I can really see kicking off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

GvidoR wrote: »
    Great place for a RWD car. :P

Or a hilux surf with an lsd..... :P

photo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

My Bangernomics 9-5 sailed through its NCT yesterday.

Been on top of the oil changes every 5k & am gonna have the sump dropped when the next one's due.

It'll cost me though, as I ain't no toastedpickles when it comes to Saab DIY! :)

dQIkBcal.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,947 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It's still in early stages but he did get it working. Hopefully someone will continue on with it next year and develop a nice piece of software to allow exact values for damping and spring rate to be inputted and changes according to conditions etc. The guy this year got it to the point where the control function was working correctly and the spring rate and damping could be changed by turning pots, however, there is currently no way of knowing what the parameters are set to without working it out from plots tracking the displacement. i.e. you can't just set it to a spring rate of 20kN/m with damping ratio of 0.6. I hope I'm making some sense :p
    I'd be making sure there is a patent application made before I'd be talking about it on a public forum in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    My Bangernomics 9-5 sailed through its NCT yesterday.

Been on top of the oil changes every 5k & am gonna have the sump dropped when the next one's due.

It'll cost me though, as I ain't no toastedpickles when it comes to Saab DIY! :

Weeellllll if you want a bit of help doing it.....

Costs like 5/600 quid to get it done anyways, pm me if you're interested

Also I was leaving the country :pac: but you guys made me come back

f38abt.jpg

Definitely up for helping again! Where you based out of yamamoto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Definitely up for helping again! Where you based out of yamamoto

Just south of KK, but will travel for help! :D

Seriously though, good of you & tp to offer & will certainly fire you off a PM when it's due.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Just south of KK, but will travel for help! :D

Seriously though, good of you & tp to offer & will certainly fire you off a PM when it's due.

Jaysus sure that's only down the road :)

If you want do drop us a pm and we'l either go to you or you come to my place, we'l sort something sure :)

• Advertisement

No problem :) your not far away at all, me and tp could travel down to you sure, better to do your car at yours i think anyway :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement