Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here Part 4 (quote a picture, get a 24h ban!!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Them 2.2 Accords can be troublesome, the 2.4 petrols were very good themselves but tax on them in Ireland like everything over a 1.8 is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Hachiko wrote: »
    Them 2.2 Accords can be troublesome, the 2.4 petrols were very good themselves but tax on them in Ireland like everything over a 1.8 is nuts.

Can be doesn't mean it will be. If the infamous problems arise then I will take care of them.
    I went in with eyes open and I read many many reviews and threads on here about them and decided to go for it anyway.
    If I could justify having a 2.4 petrol then I'd have gone for a S Class :p

the 2.4 petrol is not as bad for economy as people make out, its more frugal than a 1.8 mondeo. on the other hand running costs between that and a S class are worlds apart. Has your Honda a documented service history?, i believe they are fickle on bosch filters etc.

Speaking of economy i can get well over 400 miles on normal driving and onto 500miles on a full tank on my 2.5 lexus on long runs, people need to banish the notion that any car over a 1.8 is a gas guzzler.!

the 2.4 petrol is not as bad for economy as people make out, its more frugal than a 1.8 mondeo. on the other hand running costs between that and a S class are worlds apart. Has your Honda a documented service history?, i believe they are fickle on bosch filters etc.

Speaking of economy i can get well over 400 miles on normal driving and onto 500miles on a full tank on my 2.5 lexus on long runs, people need to banish the notion that any car over a 1.8 is a gas guzzler.!

Way to kill my buzz :p
    It doesn't have a documentated service history no but I'll be doing a full service on it next week so at least I know genuine oil and filters have been used.
    My point about the S Class was that if I could afford to drive around in a 2.4 petrol car then I may as well go for a 2.8 or 3.2 S Class. In other words if I ever go back to petrol then it would be a nice big engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankly my dear

bear1 wrote: »
    Males was it? :p

Only on Fridays

• Advertisement

Way to kill my buzz :p
    It doesn't have a documentated service history no but I'll be doing a full service on it next week so at least I know genuine oil and filters have been used.
    My point about the S Class was that if I could afford to drive around in a 2.4 petrol car then I may as well go for a 2.8 or 3.2 S Class. In other words if I ever go back to petrol then it would be a nice big engine.

i dont think you appreciate the running costs of an S class, I could probably afford an older one, would i buy it...? nope.

back to the honda, they are good cars but just giving you a heads up, if they go wrong they can cost you. best to take to a decent garage who knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Still trying to figure out how to remove that piece of metal in the interior shot :/

Looks bit like a Brodit bracket, and I think they just slip in between the dash plastics and are held in place by pressure.

I'd try a long screwdriver in between the gap in the dash to see if you can prize it apart a bit, and then try just pulling the bracket out.

i dont think you appreciate the running costs of an S class, I could probably afford an older one, would i buy it...? nope.

back to the honda, they are good cars but just giving you a heads up, if they go wrong they can cost you. best to take to a decent garage who knows his stuff.

Believe me I know well the running costs of an S-Class. My point was that if I was to go back to petrol and buy a 2.4 Honda then I'd rather spend possibly the exact same amount of money on a 320 Merc. This is going way off topic now.
    I appreciate the heads up :) I'm very familiar as I said regarding the issues.
    Which is why I'm getting a full service and check up ASAP. If something does happen to go wrong then oh well and it will be fixed.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Looks bit like a Brodit bracket, and I think they just slip in between the dash plastics and are held in place by pressure.

I'd try a long screwdriver in between the gap in the dash to see if you can prize it apart a bit, and then try just pulling the bracket out.

Not a bad idea. The other week I tried pulling it at an angle but I was afraid that it may be glued on to the dash as it was very stubborn.
    I'll give it another go tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

A problem with my loan application has forced me to look for a cheap car until I can get it sorted in the coming weeks. So I went and bought this today off a family friend. 02 1.4 xsara , 63k miles, 1 owner, fsh, recently serviced. Failed nct yesterday on 2 tyres - will get it through asap. One or two dents but for 600 quid you can't go wrong. Will easily get my money back when selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

That xsara looks tidy - stick some wheel trims on - sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thanks. Only money I plan on putting into it is petrol to be honest :p Might have a spare set around. Grand little yoke!

Believe me I know well the running costs of an S-Class. My point was that if I was to go back to petrol and buy a 2.4 Honda then I'd rather spend possibly the exact same amount of money on a 320 Merc. This is going way off topic now.
    I appreciate the heads up :) I'm very familiar as I said regarding the issues.
    Which is why I'm getting a full service and check up ASAP. If something does happen to go wrong then oh well and it will be fixed.

if you are comparing running a 2.4 accord to a S class you have no idea, have you driven either? from what you are saying you tell me you can buy a S class merc instead of a 2.4 accord and have the same running costs or outlay...that is pie in the sky tbh.

the S class will be quite significantly higher on almost every aspect to own.

The 2.4 accord is just a mundane saloon that happens to be quite good, the S class is a different league to any accord of any incarnation, even the Honda legend would find it hard to be compared to an S class.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

if you are comparing running a 2.4 accord to a S class you have no idea, have you driven either? from what you are saying you tell me you can buy a S class merc instead of a 2.4 accord and have the same running costs or outlay...that is pie in the sky tbh.

The 2.4 accord is just a mundane saloon that happens to be quite good, the S class is a different league to any accord of any incarnation, even the Honda legend would find it hard to be compared to an S class.

You go Hachiko:pac::pac::rolleyes:

FFS, I am NOT comparing a 2.4 Accord to a 3.2 or even a 2.8 S Class. Understand that now will you please?
    I said and I seem to have to constantly repeat it to you that if I was to go and buy a 2.4 petrol car then I may as well buy a bigger engined petrol car and have more fun and have more goods which is why I would chose an S Class and for slightly more in tax.
    I have not driven a 2.4 Accord but I have driven a 2.8 S Class.
    What I am saying to you is that I'd rather buy the S Class than the Accord. I know it's more to tax and possibly slightly worse in fuel economy but it wouldn't matter to me.
    My point as well that it would cost me less to buy a 2.8 S Class than it would to buy a 2.4 Accord.
    Case in point, here is the cheapest 2.4 Accord (with ****e spec) on DD that I can find:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-type-s-2-4-executive/7478484

Here is a 3.2 S Class with NCT until March just like the Accord:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-s-class-s-320/7615174

It's over half the price of the Accord. So no, I wouldn't go for the Accord.

Can you now drop it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I like that accord. tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Back On Topic :)

20141018_144010_zpssm3dw1nh.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Best of luck with her dude! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Very nice. Well ware!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Well wear foxhole, you've waited a long time for it! Looks lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

BUILD THREAD! :pac:

Fair play for holding out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Lovely looking car foxhole well wear. Looks like your patience paid off you waited long enough to get a nice one. I'd imagine it feels a tiny bit quicker than the yaris :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Thanks lads, absolutely delighted with it, couldn't ask for more really, exact spec I wanted originally too and all for less than 2k.

Kickdown on autos is fun :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Last outing for this year I think, I even managed to find a few minutes of nice weather. Apologies about the poor pictures but I was literally running between showers.

2325EB36-D6C7-46FC-AD86-481AB563E48E.jpg

66D4012F-B0A5-44DF-ACC4-3B9591FA4E85.jpg

4DB93231-190A-4A4B-A25C-DD400DB625C1.jpg

2E2D769A-A2B9-4FCE-A9B1-F24F3B9ADE43.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Good thinking with the background :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

^^^^^^
    Ardcroney?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

^^^ Fantastic BX! Would love a real Citroen again!

jprboy wrote: »
    ^^^^^^
    Ardcroney?

Yep. I took a trip out to get a picture outside the garage. Needed a good drive so that became the destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Are you going to change it over ba? What year is it?

• Advertisement

Are you going to change it over ba? What year is it?

It's a 1991. It'll be changed over in time however it's primarily a summer car for use in NI. It's registered, taxed and insured at my NI address but just down this way for storage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement