Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here Part 4 (quote a picture, get a 24h ban!!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

sblythe wrote: »
    [IMG]https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10429464_339339069584483_5394927715738113155_n.jpg?oh=a0bac4243b90835f00081be49cd18b5d&oe=55467 My own little slice of luxury. Its one of many cars this year but its something that I will hold onto for a long time. A big,[/img]big step up from my 306 1.9d. Before my Dad died he said I was going to own a "proper" car at some stage in my life, and I guess this is it. Its 2001, the youngest car I have ever owned. I still have my Dad's 5 series which I will recommission and put on the road, but for now I will enjoy my V8 and these petrol prices :D

Gorgeous machine. Have considered one a few times. Savage value too!! Love the v8!!
    Great choice. Enjoy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Nice car Sblythe, just oozes Stiflers mom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Hachiko wrote: »
    someone at work got a C63 AMG, 'only' a 6.3 litre
    Mustn't be the real thing so as the C63 is "only" a 6.2 litre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

I can assure you it was the real thing, i will take a pic in January if you are still doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I hope you asked Santa for a new sarcasm detector Hachiko :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

What is that thing on the roof of the Merc btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

R1_Pete wrote: »
    True.
    I guess it boils down to personal preferences and how people want to spend their money, and what they "value" in a car.
    For some people it's the reg plate, I once knew a girl who traded a golf in with cash for a punto because it was two years newer!!
    For others its a badge thing/brand loyalty.

I like a car that feels a little bit special or unique. I've had a couple of S2000s too, same kind of thing to me. So for me value is a car I like owning, enjoy driving and that I don't see tons of. I've owned mine four years and never felt bored or like I needed a change (yet:)

I work with a guy who bought a 141 A6 s-line diesel, brand new. Stunning car, but he was asking me how I can own and run a 911 or justify the tax. And to your point I pointed out that if he kept his car three years, as he does he will lose far more in depreciation than I'll pay in tax, far far more!
    And I thought while his car is lovely there's another two very similar in the car park. But It makes him happy and he can afford it, I couldn't!

A bit of man maths now, but the value of my car isn't wildly different form what I paid for it four years ago, give or take a couple of grand. I bought well and there are less around now, so luck too. But if you factor in depreciation to the cost of car ownership, and do a true total cost of ownership comparison owning a 911 isn't really all that more expensive than many other cars you see. Well a 996 anyway!!

At least on my spreadsheet : )

Really I guess its a case of looking at the TOTAL cost of a car including purchase price AND depreciation.

Imagine the sort of machine youd end up driving if you started out with a 50 k budget (A6 money) and said - right that 50 k will cover

1) purchase price

2) tax and maintenance

3) some fuel - not neccessarly all of it as the A6 won't run on fresh air

For 3 years - and ideally more.

And you really aren't fussed what tax it is or what the neighbours think - 50 k is the budget for EVERYTHING and you want the nicest car that can be got - in YOUR view.

The 2nd hand market would surely have some stunners available in the likes of A8s, 911s, Range Rovers and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

wonski wrote: »
    What is that thing on the roof of the Merc btw?

Sunroof and radio antenna?!?

GvidoR wrote: »
    Sunroof and radio antenna?!?

I meant the silver one above;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

wonski wrote: »
    I meant the silver one above;)

That's just another parked close to it. With camera trickery it looks like it's on the roof of the Merc. :pac:

• Advertisement

GvidoR wrote: »
    That's just another parked close to it. With camera trickery it looks like it's on the roof of the Merc. :pac:

LOL:D

Specsavers visit is needed:D Was looking at that few times and couldn't figure this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

imagejpg3_zps4c2838a9.jpg

Winter wash, have carlack wax on, does a good job.

How much does it cost to tax it over there, if you don't mind me asking?

I see your location and it looks like a better place to live drive:D

its almost £500, which is loads here. Manual is250 is higher tax than the auto. Not many manual is250 in se-l trim around.

its almost £500, which is loads here. Manual is250 is higher tax than the auto. Not many manual is250 in se-l trim around.

I lived in the UK some time ago, 500 isn't a small amount but still better that what you have to pay in Ireland;)

It was a monthly rent not too far from Manchester - for €500 you will struggle to find a room in Dublin... Ireland is not a place for car enthusiasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

done a bit of cleaning today :pac:

take one heavily soiled corolla, covered in Co. Wexfords finest:
    DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg

first i sprayed it all over with APC:
    DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0024.jpg

gave it a blast of the power washer and it's looking better already!:
    DSC_0025.jpg

washed with a yellow sponge (well, 2 sponges, 1 for wheels, 1 for bodywork) and bucket of simoniz shampoo:
    DSC_0027.jpg

dried:
    DSC_0028.jpg

some cheapo polish from a 5 litre drum, topped off with demon shine. tesco value tyre shine aerosol too:
    DSC_0031.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg

for an austerity valet, i'm pretty happy with it! someone into detailing might say it's nice from afar but far from nice :pac:, but for 2 hours of my time and less than a tenner in gear, it's spot on :D

take one heavily soiled corolla, covered in Co. Wexfords finest:

first i sprayed it all over with APC:

gave it a blast of the power washer and it's looking better already!:

washed with a yellow sponge (well, 2 sponges, 1 for wheels, 1 for bodywork) and bucket of simoniz shampoo:

dried:

some cheapo polish from a 5 litre drum, topped off with demon shine. tesco value tyre shine aerosol too:

for an austerity valet, i'm pretty happy with it! someone into detailing might say it's nice from afar but far from nice :pac:, but for 2 hours of my time and less than a tenner in gear, it's spot on :D

It's shiny:D

You could just wash it, judging by the first picture:D

I know that pain, mine is parked on main street all the time and I refuse to wash it now. I do it one day and next day it is back. I do wash the windscreen daily, too tired to deal with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

In your second last picture, you look like a garden gnome! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

RIP ToyotaFanBoi. Torn limb from limb by detailers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭cena

He better not post on the detailing forum about sponges. You'll break there hearts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

cena wrote: »
    He better not post on the detailing forum about sponges. You'll break there hearts

that's why i didn't post it in the detailing forum :pac:

the above is all a bit tongue in cheek, but at the same time, coming from a person who used to be anal about swirls, who washed their car every second day with tremendous wash caution and would have had a stroke if someone eat crisps in the car or touched my steamed up window, i'm glad i'm not that way inclined any more.

to the average man, my car looks very clean, to me it looks respectable. i guess there's no point in worrying about swirl marks when the car has covered 150k miles, those are the least of its wear and tear worries. or at least the extra care required spent on avoiding them isn't worth the time or money to me currently.

i reached over a half full bottle of meguiars endurance gel to get to the tesco value aerosol. it takes a fraction of the time to apply :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

It sure is good stuff :cool:

15460078444_fccbfb8ee5_h.jpg

I guess this may be considered an early Christmas greeting from a slowly dying dgt, from a slowly dying, slow and dying Merc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gave the oul Civic a wash just in time for its return to Leitrim, where it will promptly be destroyed again. Why do I bother?

tx4FMD7l.jpg

NXAj6Zvl.jpg

Full sizes:
    http://i.imgur.com/tx4FMD7.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/NXAj6Zv.jpg

And yes, I deserve the hate for my terrible front numberplate. Not sure how the speed cameras pick it up at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

DGT what is up with the merc, why is it slowly dying!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Feck it, one more because it looks good.

uJ0NOtzl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uJ0NOtz.jpg

Parking isn't as stupid as it looks :pac:, around a pillar and no spaces near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You up in Skreen DGT?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Some shots of the sickly members of the fleet:
    The mopar, sans front hub and brake assembly, still (waiting on more parts)
    10570518_10152952571479528_7784186262266179417_n.jpg?oh=190dc0f89ccb0a4550a82a916408b5a2&oe=55430EE9

The fiesta, having some minor coolant issues - turns out muppet here ordered the wrong diameter coolant hoses:
    (Also notable mentions for the mat, rear seats from my old alfa)
    10403261_10152952571899528_3084699431650543061_n.jpg?oh=c38c916f3cdb0c8565a3ff4ac762d519&oe=54FAFBE4

And a combined shot
    10882363_10152952571649528_7312688355374629471_n.jpg?oh=fe3b458fbf8ed5359f7ba4be5ac117b4&oe=5531CFE9&__gda__=1430124572_4c7dfa0aa1b7bf77f0d2e91b93bd323b

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Why doesn't it look at yellow as before?
    Big burd sure is looking sick!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

DGT what is up with the merc, why is it slowly dying!

The worrying smell of burning oil has become less worrying as more and more burnin oil smell fumes up the car....
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    You up in Skreen DGT?

Aye, sure Skryne is local.... ish to me. A couple mile down the road :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement