Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equestrian chit chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you are, say hello , I'm in the office for the day (for my sins!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Odelay

Very proud of my mare today. Was out on the road and her in season, neighing at every horse in a field and tail up winking, Guards had a check point with loads of flashing lights at a crossroad. Not a bother on her:-) passed them no problem, said tax was in the post when asked.
    Don't know why so many people have a problem with mares????

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Odelay wrote: »
    Very proud of my mare today. Was out on the road and her in season, neighing at every horse in a field and tail up winking, Guards had a check point with loads of flashing lights at a crossroad. Not a bother on her:-) passed them no problem, said tax was in the post when asked.
    Don't know why so many people have a problem with mares????

Well done to your mare :)

When I was buying I wanted a gelding but couldn't find anything suitable. Now I have my mare I wouldn't change her for the world, even when she's in the height of season! If I was buying another I'd specifically seek our a mare. They're the best IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Found a new livery yard for my horse, moving month end, jumped for the first time in about 3 months, worked on a grid that we find tough but it went really well so proud of us both!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

elusiveguy wrote: »
    Found a new livery yard for my horse, moving month end, jumped for the first time in about 3 months, worked on a grid that we find tough but it went really well so proud of us both!

OH good luck, Where is the new livery?

• Advertisement

Ballinagappa :)

First time on full livery, very excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

So... Going to a large beach with a horse we're not sure has ever been on a beach before...and then using the ajointing forest to go over a few logs.... Not sure if the horse has been in the forest nor done any xc... Should also mention that I haven't jumped other than a bit last week since last summer and haven't jumped xc in about 3 years.... Me thinks the back protector will be coming back out, and maybe some bubble wrap....
    Edit... Should also mention I'm sick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

sup_dude wrote: »
    So... Going to a large beach with a horse we're not sure has ever been on a beach before...and then using the ajointing forest to go over a few logs.... Not sure if the horse has been in the forest nor done any xc... Should also mention that I haven't jumped other than a bit last week since last summer and haven't jumped xc in about 3 years.... Me thinks the back protector will be coming back out, and maybe some bubble wrap....
    Edit... Should also mention I'm sick :D
    And he was absolutely brilliant! Going round like a huntsmaster. Over logs and trees, up and down steep banks, through heavy under growth and I never once felt unsafe in anyways, felt as though if I pointed him at a fallen ancient oak, he'd take it on.
    On the beach, he was a bit unsure at the start and didn't know what seaweed was. Once he was over it once though, he had no bother going over it again. Didn't even get strong when cantering and came back easily. So, so happy with him. Really hope now that he goes to a great home that will get him out and about, without sickening him because he really loves what he's doing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

My mare started her first season of the year last weekend. First few days she was okay but yesterday she was in an awful strop. Hoof stamping, head tossing, the works! :P today wasn't too bad, we did a lot of pole work to keep her focused as she loves jumping. She was a bit strong into the fences though, my arms are feeling it now. We're having a jumping lesson on Saturday, looking forward to it :)

Also watched my yard owner back a huge irish draught for the first time today. Amazing to see the natural ability in a horse at such a young age. Very impressed with my YO too who managed to stay on despite a few very high spirited bucks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Off to watch some Polocrosse training this evening, the training is great to watch, look forward to seeing the team in action at an actual game later in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Hi All, so what is everyone up to for the weekend??
    Anyone going to Boswell Summer show??

P.S - I think my Mare has been swopped, since the mild weather has come in she has been a dream to ride & has literally grown up overnight - especially over fences:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TinaOT

Bringing my girls (10 &8) to the Boswell show - mix of excitement & nerves as first big show with new ponies, have only done little x poles & minis here & there. Any tips gratefully welcomed!

What classes are your girls doing? My daughter is also competing, she will be doing the first ridden, clear round jumping and u 10 working hunter.
    TinaOT wrote: »
    Bringing my girls (10 &8) to the Boswell show - mix of excitement & nerves as first big show with new ponies, have only done little x poles & minis here & there. Any tips gratefully welcomed!

Plan to do those classes too! But quite the unknown to us as they have mainly been hacking out at home so planning on starting the day with the x-poles & go from there Hoping for miracle transformations tomorrow to smarten up turnout of both ponies & riders!!

Boswell is a fab venue, always find them very welcoming etc... The first ridden class will be in the main arena just to be aware of that as its a pretty vast arena... If you need any help/advice tomoro my daughter will be on a little 12hh dun pony and I will be the manic mum tearing around after her :)
    Plan to do those classes too! But quite the unknown to us as they have mainly been hacking out at home so planning on starting the day with the x-poles & go from there Hoping for miracle transformations tomorrow to smarten up turnout of both ponies & riders!!

Boswell is a fab venue, always find them very welcoming etc... The first ridden class will be in the main arena just to be aware of that as its a pretty vast arena... If you need any help/advice tomoro my daughter will be on a little 12hh dun pony and I will be the manic mum tearing around after her :)

Thanks Marley we will be the rather fat blue/grey pony & a welshie

Great day out Sunday with my girls Their first big show & they did most of the prep themselves so though their plaits might have been a bit random & wrong saddle brought by one they felt they'd achieved & learned tonnes by the end of the day Sorry not to have caught up with you Marley123 - but huge congrats - your little girl was fab & you too! I certainly couldn't compete & keep my girls on the go

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

Anyone going to Clonakilty Show at the weekend?

Well done to your girls , both did fab!!! My little one was quite off form.... she didnt get home from Tatts until late night before so will know not to make that mistake again lol... I was like a headless chicken, 6 classes between the two of us... thankfully my mare was a star so that was one less thing to worry about:)
    Great day out Sunday with my girls Their first big show & they did most of the prep themselves so though their plaits might have been a bit random & wrong saddle brought by one they felt they'd achieved & learned tonnes by the end of the day Sorry not to have caught up with you Marley123 - but huge congrats - your little girl was fab & you too! I certainly couldn't compete & keep my girls on the go

• Advertisement

ElmW13 wrote: »
    Anyone going to Clonakilty Show at the weekend?

Might go for a look, is it any good? Never been to it before, I assume it is fairly large?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

Yes Clonakilty Show is fairly large, lovely place to be anyway!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Can anyone recommend a good summer turnout rug? Need to get one for my lady, she's a grey (or now very dark brown :mad:)

Looking for something waterproof and durable but not too heavy, hoping to have it on her on the less hot days to keep her clean when she's in the field. Hoping to spend less than 70euro!

I got this on special offer and reckon I'll only buy horseware again I'm so happy with it!

https://www.orchardequestrian.com/Horseware-Amigo-Lite.html

Got it on offer last year for 50ish, they have brown on offer in some sizes

elusiveguy wrote: »
    I got this on special offer and reckon I'll only buy horseware again I'm so happy with it!

https://www.orchardequestrian.com/Horseware-Amigo-Lite.html

Got it on offer last year for 50ish, they have brown on offer in some sizes

Yeah that's the one I was just looking at! Absolute steal

https://www.orchardequestrian.com/Horseware-Amigo-Hero-600D-Turnout-Lite-special.html

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Too dang hot. Fainting across the anvil here

Anyone using a joint supplement? What would you recommend? Have a 12yr old 3/4 irish draft mare that seems stiff in her gait.

I've ordered some of this to try, comes highly recommended, have been using cortaflex and found it good, if there's any drop in quality of work, he'll be back on the cortaflex

Cortaflex is probably the most well known one - it's a reliable option to start with as it usually does quite well with most horses. You could always try other options after trialling on the Cortaflex.

• Advertisement

So what did everyone get up to for the weekend???
    We had yard show & I managed to jump 1m 5 on my mare ....lost my jumping nerve last year so was delighted with both of us..

Advertisement