Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equestrian chit chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

marley123 wrote: »
    So what did everyone get up to for the weekend???
    We had yard show & I managed to jump 1m 5 on my mare ....lost my jumping nerve last year so was delighted with both of us..

Amazing jumping :D

I did same show and was proud to come 3rd in the tip the pole/puissance style comp to such an amazing combination as Marley and her brill mare! Love to have a proper good competition makes thing fun and interesting!

My Appy Chappy and I managed 95cm which is pretty good for a little spotty horse :D:D He just barely brushed the pole though it did stay up :)

He also brought me home clear in the midi class. Unfortunately we had a couple issues in the maxis at a rathe large oxer and scary planks so did not manage a second double clear on the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭axcel

Had my first polocrosse lesson this wk. Had been nervous as I was always useless in school at things like hockey, I have terrible eye hand coordination. Must say was a brilliant experience, definitely a lot of skills involved that ill have to work hard on to learn but I was better at it than hockey ha. The horses are just used for polocrosse so they are so responsive.
    A very addictive game, and everyone was great craic and full of tips so really looking forward to next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Odelay

Thanks for the advice, bought cortaflex as I want to get her started on it as soon as possible. Works out at €70 per month, will be buying elsewhere in future......

Will report back and let you know how it goes.

On another note, does anyone use roadnails? Was looking at road studs and this came up on H&H as an option. She does slip a bit on roads and my farrier is more used to NH horses so hasn't much experience of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Odelay wrote: »
    On another note, does anyone use roadnails? Was looking at road studs and this came up on H&H as an option. She does slip a bit on roads and my farrier is more used to NH horses so hasn't much experience of them.

Used to use a lot of them, but the good ones are hard found in Ireland. Use road pins now, more hassle for the farrier, but really the only option IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Ugh, days like these you wish you could sit a horse down and explain to them that they need to keep their bandage on for the poultice to draw out infection...
    After the first time where I had just finished washing the cut on his nose and bandaging, and had closed the door, he walked to the back of the stable, got it off and started pawing at it on the ground. So I go get a new bandage and more tape and tape the whole thing. Come back 5 minutes later and it's hanging under his chin and he's shaking his head around, playing with it...
    It was funny and frustrating at the same time :p

sup_dude wrote: »
    Ugh, days like these you wish you could sit a horse down and explain to them that they need to keep their bandage on for the poultice to draw out infection...
    After the first time where I had just finished washing the cut on his nose and bandaging, and had closed the door, he walked to the back of the stable, got it off and started pawing at it on the ground. So I go get a new bandage and more tape and tape the whole thing. Come back 5 minutes later and it's hanging under his chin and he's shaking his head around, playing with it...
    It was funny and frustrating at the same time :p

Put a grass muzzle on him

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Put a grass muzzle on him

Don't have one, unfortunately

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Road pins are great.My former horse used to slip and slide, totally freaked me out, though he never actually fell.

Road pins are great.My former horse used to slip and slide, totally freaked me out, though he never actually fell.

Thanks for that but had vet out today and navicular was mentioned. X-rays tomorrow eveving, results the day after.....Guess I was clutching a straws with the slipping and joint care. Fingers crossed it is something simple, I have a great relationship built up with her.

• Advertisement

Don't have one, unfortunately

Make one. Small bucket with holes, and a bit of a strap up behind his ears.

I don't think they're too dear either, and are fierce handy for things like that, lami ponies etc

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Make one. Small bucket with holes, and a bit of a strap up behind his ears.

I don't think they're too dear either, and are fierce handy for things like that, lami ponies etc

It's not my yard unfortunately. I don't think the owner would be too pleased if I start poking holes in buckets while she's away :p Plus, I think the pony would find having a bucket strapped to him to be the best fun ever, and have himself even more cut by running into things whilst playing with his new "toy" :)

In other news, hay day today!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Anyone struggling with the heat?? I think Buddys favourite part of each session is being hosed off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

How did everyone get on at the weekend? We rode in a yard show yesterday and won our class :) Only a little yard show so nothing special, but I was so proud as she's only back in work a month after a 9 week break, and I had only jumped her twice before yesterday since she came back into work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Congrats Ah_Yeah on winning your class!

Good weekend, daughter got 2nd place (Junior Prelim) at Eastern Region Dressage Ireland event in Boswell.

Busy week ahead, bringing her XC Training on Wednesday with a gang from the yard and then Equifestival at the weekend. Just about to post of her application for the RDS Horseshow

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

My poor dude has been lame for the last two weeks with a really bad drop... He is just about sound now so hopefully we are back in action for some showjumping at Charleville show this weekend!

Badly wanted week off means i get to do whatever the fudge I want without having to think about other peoples horses for ten whole days

Well... Except all of ours of course...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Well XC Training in Grange Farm (near Kilcock) went great, 9 horses from the yard travelled and a fun day out was had. Next up, Equifestival in Cavan, then the following weekend back to Boswell for more Dressage Ireland. This horsing around business keeps a Dad busy! ;)

Had an osteo out to us yesterday, no wonder Bud was odd going left, I basically had no control over the left hand side of my body :P

He loved his treatment too, lots and lots of sleepy chewing noises :)

• Advertisement

Has anyone else ever had a horse start kicking itself when stressed? We've a lovely placid breaker who was really easy to break because of her easy going temper. The most she would do is bounce into canter if she had a few days off, or step sidewards if a bird suddenly flew out of a tree (and it's not even a jump). The only time she had gotten anyway worked up was when she got a wolf tooth removed and would pull back every so often. We brought her onto the road the last day as she had never seen a car before. I was riding her and another woman was leading her. The miniature Shetland on the drive way, with two horses in the field on the other side made her a bit hyper so she was alert by the time we got to the road. It's a fairly busy road, so we pulled into the neighbours driveway. The first car beeped on its way past, so she shot forward and became quite tense. Another car followed shortly after and she began hitting her stomach. I thought it was a bit windy for flies but thought that maybe there was a tough one about so ignored it. Walked down the road a bit with horse still tense but walking on when we heard a motorbike in the distance. I hopped down and we took the horse into the next house. The bike flew past (it didn't slow down one bit), and the horse jumped, and started shaking and kicking away at her stomach. She was so stressed, we didn't bother getting back up on her and just walked her home, putting her in a small field beside the road with the Shetland tied beside her. Now, I've seen horses get stressed before in new situations but never seen them try to hurt themselves because of it. She calmed down in yhe field and stopped kicking. I'm figuring that because she's usually such a placid horse all the time that she just doesn't know how to deal with stress then.

Ulcers maybe???

elusiveguy wrote: »
    Ulcers maybe???

I was wondering about that but she never does it any other time and she's on an all hay/grass diet so it really doesn't seem likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

I would be thinking same regarding Ulcers... Also OP just as a caution if horse is overly stressed out just be careful horse isn't displaying Colic like symptoms caused by the stress.

Oh she's been fine since, this was last Friday and she was back to her usual laidback self by the next day. She's even been on the road again. I just thought it was an interesting reaction and was wondering if anyone else came across it.

Went to my first AIRC ODE at the weekend, was riding at AP level and we managed to come fourth!
    Very excited, got a 33.5 in the dressage and it was our first time to do it in a competition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

could people let me know about the pricing of this little cob I'm selling?

http://www.donedeal.co.uk/cobs-for-sale/13-2hh-skewbald-cob-rides-drives/7157432

she really is a genuine little cob and very good to do anything with.
    Anyway… dad mentioned to the local riding school guy that i was selling her. He came and took a loo and said the most he would be willing to spend on her is 250?? surely for a good pony this is a insult?? i was letting her off cheap at 500 in the hope that she would go to a family that would make use of her as she really does relish a bit of riding.

could people let me know about the pricing of this little cob I'm selling?

http://www.donedeal.co.uk/cobs-for-sale/13-2hh-skewbald-cob-rides-drives/7157432

she really is a genuine little cob and very good to do anything with.
    Anyway… dad mentioned to the local riding school guy that i was selling her. He came and took a loo and said the most he would be willing to spend on her is 250?? surely for a good pony this is a insult?? i was letting her off cheap at 500 in the hope that she would go to a family that would make use of her as she really does relish a bit of riding.

250?!:eek: That's factory price...
    If she's broke and genuine, I'd even have thought 500 was cheap.
    In terms of the ad, it might be no harm to put in more photos of her doing the things you claim she can do?

In terms of the ad, it might be no harm to put in more photos of her doing the things you claim she can do?[/QUOTE

I'm too tall for her now. Friends sister si going to sit on her for pics over the weekend when I'm home.

• Advertisement

In terms of the ad, it might be no harm to put in more photos of her doing the things you claim she can do?

But yeah i thought she was cheap too… she's a nice looking pony and definitely a good pony for a starter or even a mother/daughter.

Advertisement