Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new dog

• 13-04-2014 1:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭

Brother got a new dog 18 week pup. They now have it tied up outside . it seems cruel to my to get the dog today and leave it tied up outside tonight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It IS cruel. Has your brother literally just got the dog? Seems the pup is a bit old to just leave the litter. Most dogs go at 8-10 weeks. I don't understand the mentality. Why the **** would he get a dog and then tie the poor creature up outside? It beggars belief... :mad: No point in calling the warden either as they say as long as the dog has food and shelter (BTW - Has the puppy any shelter?), then that's fine. Personally, I think it's BS, but hey! What do I know??

Why is the dog outside? Any chance you can take it over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

It is incredibly cruel and I hope you tell that to your brother. Dogs are pack and animals and being tied up alone is probably the worst punishment you could give a dog. And the poor pup is only a baby. It needs to be inside to learn how to behave in the house and be socialized properly.

No idea why people do this. Seeing how content my dogs are to curl up at my feet in front of the fire make me feel content as well.

Does your brother have any experience with owning a pup? Why did he get one if he just wants to tie it up outside?

I had a neighbor when I lived abroad who left his dog tied up all day in his front garden. Then his dog got stolen. Good, I thought, maybe the guy will learn his lesson. Nope, within two weeks he had gotten a lovely lab pup, which was tied up outside straight away from dawn to dusk. It was obviously not used to this and would break my heart looking at his sad face when I came home from work. The guy was at the pub most evenings and the dog would be out there barking and whining, his only entertainment was moving around his empty food bowl.

Turns out someone stole that dog as well. Luckily the thief worked at an animal shelter. He brought the pup there, where it was rehomed to a lovely young couple with a big fenced in garden. And the neighbor didn't get another dog, though he did get a cat instead, (which he also abandoned after it got pregnant).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

It IS cruel. Has your brother literally just got the dog? Seems the pup is a bit old to just leave the litter. Most dogs go at 8-10 weeks. I don't understand the mentality. Why the **** would he get a dog and then tie the poor creature up outside? It beggars belief... :mad: No point in calling the warden either as they say as long as the dog has food and shelter (BTW - Has the puppy any shelter?), then that's fine. Personally, I think it's BS, but hey! What do I know??

Why is the dog outside? Any chance you can take it over?

Ya they got it yesterday. Tied up all night last night. It was crying all night they told my mother. Not mush of a shelter. It is very open it is a wooden box which it well out grow in no time. He didn't want a dog. It can't move around the garden very much.

The novelty well run out in no time.

sligoface wrote: »
    It is incredibly cruel and I hope you tell that to your brother. Dogs are pack and animals and being tied up alone is probably the worst punishment you could give a dog. And the poor pup is only a baby. It needs to be inside to learn how to behave in the house and be socialized properly.

No idea why people do this. Seeing how content my dogs are to curl up at my feet in front of the fire make me feel content as well.

Does your brother have any experience with owning a pup? Why did he get one if he just wants to tie it up outside?

I had a neighbor when I lived abroad who left his dog tied up all day in his front garden. Then his dog got stolen. Good, I thought, maybe the guy will learn his lesson. Nope, within two weeks he had gotten a lovely lab pup, which was tied up outside straight away from dawn to dusk. It was obviously not used to this and would break my heart looking at his sad face when I came home from work. The guy was at the pub most evenings and the dog would be out there barking and whining, his only entertainment was moving around his empty food bowl.

Turns out someone stole that dog as well. Luckily the thief worked at an animal shelter. He brought the pup there, where it was rehomed to a lovely young couple with a big fenced in garden. And the neighbor didn't get another dog, though he did get a cat instead, (which he also abandoned after it got pregnant).

He got the dog cause his wife wanted one. She won't clean up after it etc. No experience to owning a dog before. Beside the dog I have now. It well be getting the aldis only dog food he told us last night

Oh FFS!! Is there no way you can go round and take the dog? To tie the poor thing up all night is unforgiveable...

It doesn't matter so much about the food for the moment. But that dog has to be brought indoors ASAP!! The poor dog must be traumatised.

Not to be funny, but your SiL sounds incredibly ignorant. How could she not know that the dog is not to be kept outside? No wonder the poor thing was howling - he didn't know whether he was on foot or horseback. :mad:

If I knew where it was, I might be tempted to take it away...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

You are right, it is extremely cruel and not to mention selfish. The Animal Welfare Act 2013 came into force last month giving Gardaí and SPCAs more power to intervene in acts like this so your brother could find himself in hot water having a dog chained and without appropriate shelter - I'd report him if I saw it. Tell him to do the right thing and give the dog back before he becomes another pound statistic. Can't understand why the wife wants a dog if all she wants to do is psychologically damage him - sounds like she needs a few nights outside with him to learn some compassion.

Oh FFS!! Is there no way you can go round and take the dog? To tie the poor thing up all night is unforgiveable...

It doesn't matter so much about the food for the moment. But that dog has to be brought indoors ASAP!! The poor dog must be traumatised.

Not to be funny, but your SiL sounds incredibly ignorant. How could she not know that the dog is not to be kept outside? No wonder the poor thing was howling - he didn't know whether he was on foot or horseback. :mad:

If I knew where it was, I might be tempted to take it away...

I couldn't take it. Lives across the street. Our Labrador didn't like to see the brother coming in with a dog., I couldn't really take it myself even though it could have a shed to its self which I had brought for my lad but it he too old now so he is in doors at night. She wants to let it in but the brother is having know of it. It won't go for many walks to burn off its energy cause it well have loads.

I feel sorry for the dog when it comes to the rain and then winter months .

Then you MUST do as FurMomma says and report this straightaway. No way should that dog be left to suffer...Please!!

You are right, it is extremely cruel and not to mention selfish. The Animal Welfare Act 2013 came into force last month giving Gardaí and SPCAs more power to intervene in acts like this so your brother could find himself in hot water having a dog chained and without appropriate shelter - I'd report him if I saw it. Tell him to do the right thing and give the dog back before he becomes another pound statistic. Can't understand why the wife wants a dog if all she wants to do is psychologically damage him - sounds like she needs a few nights outside with him to learn some compassion.

It is cruel. The niece see my dog stays in doors at night and wants to know why there dog can't do the same. They brought it for a walk this morning and than tied up for the rest of the day. I should tie them up all night put in the wet and cold and see how they like it.

Then you MUST do as FurMomma says and report this straightaway. No way should that dog be left to suffer...Please!!

There is an ASPCA warden lives a few doors up from him. Maybe i should give her a chat. She doesn't work in galway region so she can't take the dog herself.

• Advertisement

The new Animal Welfare Act places emphasis on the Five Freedoms - something not considered in the legislation from 1919. One of these is 'the freedom to express normal behaviour'. Keeping a dog chained denies them this freedom. Bear in mind also that many breeds live to 15 years - your brothers wife clearly doesn't 'want' a dog enough to care that 15 years on a chain is an appalling life sentence. I'm all for keeping the OH happy, but your brother shouldn't do it at the expense of a living creature. Anyway seeing as he's the one that actually has to clean up after the dog, etc, that makes the dog his and therefore he should be able to put the foot down. Glad OP has more sense, maybe you can get through to your brother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

cena wrote: »
    There is an ASPCA warden lives a few doors up from him. Maybe i should give her a chat. She doesn't work in galway region so she can't take the dog herself.

Please please please get in contact with the ASPCA, its cruel what your brother and his wife are doing....why bother with the dog?? for goodness sake...

The new Animal Welfare Act places emphasis on the Five Freedoms - something not considered in the legislation from 1919. One of these is 'the freedom to express normal behaviour'. Keeping a dog chained denies them this freedom. Bear in mind also that many breeds live to 15 years - your brothers wife clearly doesn't 'want' a dog enough to care that 15 years on a chain is an appalling life sentence. I'm all for keeping the OH happy, but your brother shouldn't do it at the expense of a living creature. Anyway seeing as he's the one that actually has to clean up after the dog, etc, that makes the dog his and therefore he should be able to put the foot down. Glad OP has more sense, maybe you can get through to your brother?
    If I cane get through to him about money he owes my I won't have a chance there.
    Sure my mother has told him he can't have it tied up. The poor thing came into our house last night and went straight for the heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

If I cane get through to him about money he owes my I won't have a chance there.
    Sure my mother has told him he can't have it tied up. The poor thing came into our house last night and went straight for the heat

I was going to say talk to your brother and SIL - show them this thread and try and embarrass them into looking after their dog properly. But it sounds like they have got a dog in haste without thinking of the life they are offering it. Maybe you could offer to bring him for walks - get him out of there for some relief and contact the relevant authorities if the dog is suffering.

Poor little creature. Drives me mad when everyone is saying to them it's wrong and they still insist it's right. And if this is how they treat the dog when he's a novelty I dread to think how he'll be treated when the novelty wears off. This is the reason why approx 18000 dogs end up in the pound each year and our rescue centres are full to capacity.

The dog needs to be taken off them as they are incapable if caring for him correctly. That's all I'm going to say on the subject because that's all there is to it. I'm not going to comment further as I'm getting stressed out and angry but feel free to PM me if you would like any advice and I'll do what I can to help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, can I just ask, what do you hope will be achieved by this thread?
    Is it just to share a rant with other people?
    Or is this dog going to get some realistic help?
    Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I don't really see the point in posting something like this, in a forum like this, unless you're going to do something about it, or get someone else to do something about it.
    An ASPCA warden has no jurisdiction in Athlone, let alone Galway.

DBB wrote: »
    OP, can I just ask, what do you hope will be achieved by this thread?
    Is it just to share a rant with other people?
    Or is this dog going to get some realistic help?
    Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I don't really see the point in posting something like this, in a forum like this, unless you're going to do something about it, or get someone else to do something about it.
    An ASPCA warden has no jurisdiction in Athlone, let alone Galway.

Never said anything about athlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Never said anything about athlone

What does ASPCA stand for, I think that's the confusion with Athlone

muddypaws wrote: »
    What does ASPCA stand for, I think that's the confusion with Athlone

Sorry I meant ispca

So are you saying the neighbour is an ispca inspector?

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    So are you saying the neighbour is an ispca inspector?

Well ya

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kingup

'There are two kinds of evil people in this world. Those who do evil things and those who see evil things and don't try to stop it'

Im sorry you have to do something asap, i cant imagine anything more cruel than leaving a baby outside to freeze in the cold or drive himself crazy with boredom, you wouldnt leave any other precious belonging outside for it to be taken by anybody, why would you leave a living being out there to be stolen? That said that dog might get a better life were it stolen....rediculous behaviour, inform your spca immediately and call them out on their cruel behaviour.

Well ya

Thank you for clearing up that the ASPCA warden you mentioned that you might talk to about it is actually an ISPCA Inspector :-)
    It'd be nice to think that something might actually be done for this pup, rather than just sighing about it here where nothing will be done.

Advertisement