Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sponsorships must be renegotiated with Sky deal

• 13-04-2014 4:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭

So the GAA claims they get minimal extra income from this deal. WRONG.

Think of the county sponsorships. For example - AIG - when deal was done with Dublin no Sky.

Now the audience being advertised to is much larger. Surely the whole agreement must be reopened.

This also paves the way for other major international sponsors of other county teams.

The money paid, depending on popularity on Sky Sports, could eclipse that of the AIG deal with Dublin.

Again that deal should now be reopened in my opinion. Why should AIG get the opportunity to advertise in front of an extra 10 million people and not pay more?

I feel strongly that this whole aspect of this deal with Sky has been hopelessly ignored.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I agree, after the British public see see Offaly play in the first televised game I am sure herds of English people will run to their local shop wanting their fix of Carrolls Ham. Offaly aren't charging them anywhere near enough.

From the point of view that the bit of extra TV money and exposure could make a decent financial contribution to smaller counties then the sky deal mightn't be such a bad thing.

In general though I'm not for the idea of GAA or any sport for that matter being shown exclusively on pay tv. The GAA might be only selling a small amount of games now but id imagine it wont end there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Good news for Tayto Park so.
    They'll be opening up Euro Tayto Park in Paris at this rate.

I agree, after the British public see see Offaly play in the first televised game I am sure herds of English people will run to their local shop wanting their fix of Carrolls Ham. Offaly aren't charging them anywhere near enough.

I think what the OP means is that in the longer term, bigger companies might see county sponsorship as a greater investment opportunity due too a now wider audience being able to view hurling/football on global scale. You have a large Irish diaspora abroad for one. Therefore county boards may be able to negotiate better deals on this basis. Only time will tell if that will be the case but take Dublin as a present example. They are able to command bigger sponsorship fees because of the vast population within the metropolitan area. Carlow, Longford, Leitrim, etc haven't that same luxury.

Having said all that though id imagine the so called weaker counties wont get many sky live games suffice to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

iDave wrote: »
    Good news for Tayto Park so.
    They'll be opening up Euro Tayto Park in Paris at this rate.

That made me laugh. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I think what the OP means is that in the longer term, bigger companies might see county sponsorship as a greater investment opportunity due too a now wider audience being able to view hurling/football on global scale. You have a large Irish diaspora abroad for one. Therefore county boards may be able to negotiate better deals on this basis. Only time will tell if that will be the case but take Dublin as a present example. They are able to command bigger sponsorship fees because of the vast population within the metropolitan area. Carlow, Longford, Leitrim, etc haven't that same luxury.

Having said all that though id imagine the so called weaker counties wont get many sky live games suffice to say.

I don't think his example of AIG wasn't really a good one as they already sponsored Man Utd and the All Blacks so I would think they have got close to maximizing their exposure through sporting events on British TV.Dublin being sponsored by them and shown on Sky wouldn't provide much additional value to AIG.

If a trend were to develope that international companies decided to sponsor teams purely because they were playing on Sky then there might be an opportunity for county boards to increase revenue however I doubt this would happen as there are not a huge amount of games on sky yet and the viewership probably won't be large enough to provide a gain for these companies.If this were to happen then in spite of what the Dublin county board and others might think a sharing of sponsorship revenue or an adjustment in direct funding from the GAA would have to be considered as you can't have some counties benefiting from this sky deal and others not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Oh I don't know. I think, reading between the lines, the potential for increased county sponsorship revenue can't be ignored but for some reason it has been in the media. The GAA must have considered this aspect to a deal.

I think the GAA are being disingenuous when they say they will make very little extra from the new tv deal. It's the add-on's that do stand to make more money for them on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

ya, Pat O'Donnells in Clare will probably need to take on extra staff to deal with the extra business, good point.

ya, Pat O'Donnells in Clare will probably need to take on extra staff to deal with the extra business, good point.

With all due respect to Pat O'Donnell i think perhaps the point that is being aimed at is whether the days of the smaller more local businesses sponsoring Inter-county teams over due to the exposure??

At the moment perhaps Kilkenny, Tipperary, Cork, and Dublin to name a few could arguably have that situation at present with their respective sponsors but could smaller counties benefit from attracting bigger sponsors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Increased sponsorship, larger viewing audiences. LOL. Who is feeding ye this rubbish.

The Viewing figures WILL be lower.

The average game on terrestrial TV for a game was 650-700k.

Sky 3 has a viewing share in the UK of less than 0.5%. In Ireland that viewing share is less than 0.1%.

Advertisers base and place their adverisements based on viewing share.

The viewing for these games that Sky has robbed off Irish people will be a fraction of that viewed traditionally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It really doesn't matter what happens with any TV deals, or people emigrating wearing their jerseys far and wide, the sponsorship deals are what they are they aren't going to change just because Sky has the game instead of TV3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Clareman wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter what happens with any TV deals, or people emigrating wearing their jerseys far and wide, the sponsorship deals are what they are they aren't going to change just because Sky has the game instead of TV3

I agree. The additional exposure on Sky deffo strengthens the hands of counties that will be negotiating new sponsorship deals over the next couple of years. But the deals that are in place now, are gonna have to remain in place for the duration of them. If you sign a contract, you are supposed to honour the terms of it, for however long it runs. That is how business works. (Or at least, that is how it is supposed to work. :p )

It is not fair to expect the likes of AIG or Chill Insurance to be willing to tear up their current deals and start coughing up more money, just because the broadcasting landscape of the GAA has changed. We'd be screaming blue murder if AIG (or any other company) decided that it was ok to tear up their current deals and, start giving us less money, just because something in their corporate world has changed. I could see companies stop getting involved in sponsorship altogether, if they start getting dicked around, or the GAA & individual counties feel that they are entitled to change the terms of agreed to contracts, when it suits them to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Kerry Group have been fairly international themselves for a long time so I wouldn't see an issue there for them.

Advertisement