Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PhD and Holidays

• 13-04-2014 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

I've started my PhD in English this January, and was just wondering what the general consensus is on taking holidays.

I have no holidays planned for this year as such, but my aunt has asked me to go to Australia with her in Easter next year for 3 weeks to visit my cousin.

So long as I keep up a good pace with my research and my thesis it's probably okay?

I'm going to say it to my supervisor, but said I would ask here first.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

You are entitled to a certain number of days off per year, and that should be clearly outlined in your contract. Some supervisors are more flexible than others. I'm PhD'ing abroad and I have like 4 weeks a year, but my prof doesnt really care as long as I'm not taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

...my prof doesnt really care as long as I'm not taking the piss.
    I would say this is the norm.

At the end of the day, you're not working a 9 to 5, so what constitutes a day off is something of a grey area. For example, you might take a half-day some weekday, but then do some work over a weekend. As such, your supervisor is unlikely to be all that fussed about the specific number of holidays you take in a year, so long as you're making progress and getting things done.

Advertisement