Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC Project Maths 2014

Options
  • 13-04-2014 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

is it just me or are the sample exam questions in the educate exam papers really difficult. Some areas are grand such as sets, probability and area/volume but other areas such as ALGEBRA are gone to a whole new level.
    Since we are the first year to be taking a full project maths exam this year (2014) do you think the exam will be mediocre in terms of level of difficulty. Looking at the questions in the old course and the questions in the new project maths course are ridiculous. The questions are way harder now. To me it would make more sense for them to start of the project maths exams quite mediocre and as the other years(1st and 2nd) get used to this course then they can start challenging them with more difficult questions.
    What do u think will happen in this year's exam???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Don't pass too much heed of the educate questions, pay more attention to the SEC samples, there you will find questions that are more likely to appear in the exam. Personally, I'm not in favor of project Maths, I much preferred the old course, easier to teach and I found that the majority of students were more able for it. But this new layout is supposed to be all about making maths "simpler" and more accessible to students. I don't know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

I agree the whole exam seems to be based on a different level. The majority of my class are struggling with the exam papers. As for the Mock papers, some of the questions seem to be only fit for a genius. I didn`t even realize we were the first to sit this new exam so it actually explains a lot. Even the maths book is way simpler than the exam papers. It gives us no general guide to approaching exam questions at all.

As for June, all I can say is the best of luck to all of us. All we can do is break down the questions as much as we can and try our best! Keep practicing exam papers also :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Yeah when it comes to practising maths questions, i just throw my textbook in the bin, its that useless. I just hope that they go easy on us this year and don't expect 60,000 out of the world geniuses

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MangoMachine

I agree, the textbook is no help what so ever! Did any of you guys do the DEB mock paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I agree, the textbook is no help what so ever! Did any of you guys do the DEB mock paper?

Where is a good place to get sample questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MangoMachine

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Where is a good place to get sample questions?

What I'm doing at the moment is exam papers for sample questions, some are very difficult but I'm trying my best not to get too worried about them. Hopefully they'll be kind to us in June!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

What I'm doing at the moment is exam papers for sample questions, some are very difficult but I'm trying my best not to get too worried about them. Hopefully they'll be kind to us in June!

Sorry, not sure I understand. What do you mean by "exam papers for sample questions"?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

Do you think my teacher would mind correcting extra exam paper questions? I'm a bit concerned about the exam judging by the sample exam paper questions from educate.ie, but I'm finding that doing exam papers is helping a bit!. I'm also using themathstutor.ie which is a great help!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Hate the fact that were the first year to do a full project maths exam. Don't know what to expect. And judging from the exam papers it looks like it will definitely be a challenge. I'm just praying that they go easy on us since we're the first year to do it. :(

Advertisement