Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas for what to plant here?

• 13-04-2014 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭

Hi

We have decided to put a flower bed at our back wall. We have collected 9 different clematis to be planted there. I would like to have some scented plants there also, I was thinking jasmine and honeysuckle, just wondering if there were any other scented plants that would grow in part shade? The wall gets sun up to 12 noon in winter and 1 to 2pm during summer.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    10002689_626209554138670_470443336_n.jpg?oh=0c1a6c4176fe78f3cf5975569ad797be&oe=534D15DC&__gda__=1397524620_826e396c8689a53cea0b5b129052aefd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Hello cofy, I asked around.

A friend in Germany, an English woman big into roses came back with this...
    "off the top of my head - Sweetpeas if you just want annuals. Then Roses of course, Clematis - some are scented, a new Jasmine is Trachelospermum jasminoides 'Star of Toscana' which is worth looking up and might do well in Ireland. Wisteria, Akebia the purple and the cream variety.
    Solanum crispum 'Glasnevin' and Solanum laxum 'Album' - you will have to check hardiness!!"

A friend in Clondalkin recommended...
    "depending on your location, what about a climbing rose or a clematis ? perhaps annual climbers like morning glory . mina lobata black eyed susan or sweet pea. or a climbing Hydrangea if it's north facing"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That wall would not be sunny enough for sweet peas, and with nine clematis to go in there would not be room for sweetpeas, though of course it depends on how much wall there is. Roses combine will with clematis, you need to check if the varity you choose is suitable for part shade though - there are some, I have a Zepherine Drouhin on a north wall which is very happy and smells lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

tampopo wrote: »
    Hello cofy, I asked around.

A friend in Germany, an English woman big into roses came back with this...
    "off the top of my head - Sweetpeas if you just want annuals. Then Roses of course, Clematis - some are scented, a new Jasmine is Trachelospermum jasminoides 'Star of Toscana' which is worth looking up and might do well in Ireland. Wisteria, Akebia the purple and the cream variety.
    Solanum crispum 'Glasnevin' and Solanum laxum 'Album' - you will have to check hardiness!!"

A friend in Clondalkin recommended...
    "depending on your location, what about a climbing rose or a clematis ? perhaps annual climbers like morning glory . mina lobata black eyed susan or sweet pea. or a climbing Hydrangea if it's north facing"

Thank you very much for going to so much trouble. You certainly gave me some great ideas. I have seen some westeria trees growing in some of my neighbours lawns, I never thought that they could be grown as climbers. The akebia looks very interesting, I have something like it at the moment growing in a pot, weigela bristol ruby, the foliage turned the most amazing colour in late autumn.

I planted a packet of climbing sweetpeas about a week ago and they are already coming up so fingers crossed that they will do well there.

Once again thanks for all your help.:):):)

looksee wrote: »
    That wall would not be sunny enough for sweet peas, and with nine clematis to go in there would not be room for sweetpeas, though of course it depends on how much wall there is. Roses combine will with clematis, you need to check if the varity you choose is suitable for part shade though - there are some, I have a Zepherine Drouhin on a north wall which is very happy and smells lovely.

The part of the wall in the photo is just less than half the wall. The other half of the wall is sloped lower and gets much more sunlight.Zepherine Drouhin looks fabulous, I will be watching out for that. Thank you.:):)

I could not open the photo but it sounds as though you have plenty of space. The sweetpeas and akebia would need to be in a sunny spot. Wisteria does not grow as a tree, it is definitely a climber, so you may be confusing it with something else. Weigela is a hardy and vigorous shrub that might do better in the ground than in a pot - it will be ok for a while, but it will eventually most likely be stunted in a pot.

• Advertisement

We started planning this bed 2 years ago and I started collecting plants, I have them growing in pots and your are spot on it's not ideal but there is one advantage that I had the pots situated where they will be planted and most of the plants did exceptionally well there.

I had some compost so I filled in part of the bed, we will be filling in the rest of the bed in the week or so.

Here is the wall.
    i4ofvt.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

You could surely put a couple of Solanum in there...at least 10 feet apart as they will grow like mad once established.

The one i had was like a tree after a few years but i've seen one in the botanic gardens that they had trained to hug a trelllis and the effect was much more impressive.

Solanum are lovely, mine and my neighbours white ones died in the very cold winter a couple of years ago, but the blue and yellow ones around have survived.

looksee wrote: »
    Solanum are lovely, mine and my neighbours white ones died in the very cold winter a couple of years ago, but the blue and yellow ones around have survived.

I got one of these today in Aldi.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement