Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minix Neo X8 AND X8s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lebowsky

Anyone else have a problem with acestream crashing after upgrading to the latest firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

Is there anywhere I could get a TV channel list for these boxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

wush06 wrote: »
    It's the tablet one I have and works no problem.

Hi Wush06, I have two X8-h's and I'm unable to get Sky Go working on them. Would you mind linking to the version of the app you have working and summarise any special options/tweaks needed to get it working e.g. VPN or root cloaking etc?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi Wush06, I have two X8-h's and I'm unable to get Sky Go working on them. Would you mind linking to the version of the app you have working and summarise any special options/tweaks needed to get it working e.g. VPN or root cloaking etc?

Cheers.

Are you sure its the tablet version of the app you are running?
    It works for me without the need for any tweaking..

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Cheers.

I sold my minix x8h and got a minix x8h plus but unfortunately I'm mid month with my skygo devices so can't try the plus till the first of February.
    But I have the x8h since July and never had a problem with skygo tablet playing on my minix.

What software version do you have and also have a look here.
    http://www.minixforum.com
    And
    http://www.freaktab.com/forumdisplay.php?187-Minix-AML-Devices-X6-X8-etc

Installed the latest official FW2 and SkyGo is now working fine! Thanks for the prompt.

Pity the number of channels available is so restricted e.g. no RTE.

Installed the latest official FW2 and SkyGo is now working fine! Thanks for the prompt.

Pity the number of channels available is so restricted e.g. no RTE.

I'm watching RTE on the box but not with skygo.

I'm watching RTE on the box but not with skygo.

I have the Irish TV Add On, was hoping to have all the Shy channels I pay for available via the Sky Go app rather than having to switch to Kodi for RTE.

The problem now with this box is that there is to much to watch.😄

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

The problem now with this box is that there is to much to watch.😄

That is the biggest problem I have, complete overload so you have no idea where to start

I found the IMDB link in great, pick the films from there and then just go in so I remember what I want to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

Folks - is this still the best Android TV box to get?

Question, if I plug a hard drive into it, can I see the drive on my network?
    (so I can save to it)

Or can you install a torrent client on it?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Mr Man wrote: »
    Folks - is this still the best Android TV box to get?

Question, if I plug a hard drive into it, can I see the drive on my network?
    (so I can save to it)

Or can you install a torrent client on it?
    Thanks

Yeah you can do both, it basically just an android device so you can't download es file explorer and what ever other apps you want from play store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I'm in the market for one of these things, my old RK3066 stick doesn't want to power up half the time and when it does it shows in a quarter corner of my TV (lol), so what would the advantage of one of these be over say a MX III or something that's half the price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

Yeah you can do both, it basically just an android device so you can't download es file explorer and what ever other apps you want from play store.

Cool, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Has anyone updated to official 003. If you haven't, don't. Nothing would play for me on xbmc, even SD was buffering like crazy. Just downgraded to 002a but tried finlessBob's version from freaktab. All seems good again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Has anyone updated to official 003. If you haven't, don't. Nothing would play for me on xbmc, even SD was buffering like crazy. Just downgraded to 002a but tried finlessBob's version from freaktab. All seems good again.

Thanks,good to know.Also worth getting this if you have an android phone https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rcclient.RemoteIME&hl=en
    The original remotes i got with my box are beyond bad, this app is far better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Same here! I installed the firmware on Friday but have had nothing but problems since. Like yourself, nothing will play for me in XBMC and it won't connect via Ethernet cable - even though it tells me that it's connected but it obviously isn't as nothing will open for me. Wifi isn't much better. Very disappointing. What would you suggest I do to rectify this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Where is everyone buying these from? Gearbest? Amazon?

Davexirl wrote: »
    Where is everyone buying these from? Gearbest? Amazon?

Got mine on Amazon,UK based so no long wait and nasty customs charges.

There is a person on adverts selling the plus version for 150.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

There is a person on adverts selling the plus version for 150.

The x-8 plus or the x-8h plus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

BandMember wrote: »
    Same here! I installed the firmware on Friday but have had nothing but problems since. Like yourself, nothing will play for me in XBMC and it won't connect via Ethernet cable - even though it tells me that it's connected but it obviously isn't as nothing will open for me. Wifi isn't much better. Very disappointing. What would you suggest I do to rectify this?

I actually had the ethernet connection problem too. I downgraded to the previous version 002a and all is good again. There will be no updates for at least two weeks as they are off for Chinese new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There doesn't seem to be much of a saving in getting these ones from China - currently 147€ from Gearbest, even if you find it for 120€ with a discount code somewhere you are looking at a wait of 4 weeks and potentially a bill of 40€ from customs. If you do a search on Adverts you will get the Neo X8-H Plus for around 160€ from quite a few sellers.

I ordered a box from Gearbest on 10 January for a birthday present last weekend, still hasn't arrived.

Sorry it was the x8h plus it was grand rang the girl had it in my hand in about a hour. It came fully loaded but I wiped it and done my own setup.

What's the difference in these two? Which is the better one to get?

I actually had the ethernet connection problem too. I downgraded to the previous version 002a and all is good again. There will be no updates for at least two weeks as they are off for Chinese new year.

It's very frustrating because, when it actually works, it's running so smooth and like a dream! However, it's very temperamental and some days it works, some days nothing works. Even though I have 120MB UPC internet, when I run the box on wifi, it won't play any of the HD streams in Genesis (just goes buffering for about 10 minutes before saying cache full, even though I empty the cache in both Genesis and the Maintenance Tool daily) and the connection seems to drop a lot. If they could release a stable updated version of this firmware to sort out these issues, we'd all be laughing....

What's the difference in these two? Which is the better one to get?

To be honest not a lot the plus version has AC Wi-Fi and gigabyte Port it also has the 812 chip have a look on there website.

It's very frustrating because, when it actually works, it's running so smooth and like a dream! However, it's very temperamental and some days it works, some days nothing works. Even though I have 120MB UPC internet, when I run the box on wifi, it won't play any of the HD streams in Genesis (just goes buffering for about 10 minutes before saying cache full, even though I empty the cache in both Genesis and the Maintenance Tool daily) and the connection seems to drop a lot. If they could release a stable updated version of this firmware to sort out these issues, we'd all be laughing....

Hey as far as I know genesis was having problems over the last few days. The best place for updates on the addons is Twitter you must remember these addons come and go with the flick of a switch just like mashup.

Hey as far as I know genesis was having problems over the last few days. The best place for updates on the addons is Twitter you must remember these addons come and go with the flick of a switch just like mashup.

Was using Genesis but found it buggy.1channel is working pretty well at the mo,great for TV and Phoenix is terrific for movies.

ben101 wrote: »
    Was using Genesis but found it buggy.1channel is working pretty well at the mo,great for TV and Phoenix is terrific for movies.

Thanks ben, I'll give those a try - I presume that they have HD links?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how I can find out what firmware is installed on the X-8h Plus? Also, how do I do an update (if required)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Does anyone know how I can find out what firmware is installed on the X-8h Plus? Also, how do I do an update (if required)?

He has a very annoying voice, but it's a decent video (method should be the same for the 8h plus).

Thanks, but that video looks like it was made before Minix started doing OTA updates. I'm up to OTA 5 on my Minix X-8H but need to check on a Plus. Does anyone here have a Plus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Thanks, but that video looks like it was made before Minix started doing OTA updates. I'm up to OTA 5 on my Minix X-8H but need to check on a Plus. Does anyone here have a Plus?

http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-x8-h-x8-plus-x8-official-firmware-releases.19/

Always make sure you put the right firmware on the device it's made for or you could end up with a doorstop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I do have a plus. OTA 006 released yesterday, a small hotfix hue tomorrow.

http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-x8-h-plus-006-firmware-via-minix-fota.126/

If you are 002 and above then you can do update from System Update app (look for the icon in all apps).

If not directly flash to 006. Instructions and details:
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/official-x8-h-plus-006-firmware-20150706.6466/

For looking you build number - Setting -> Other

There you can see build number and kernal version.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    I do have a plus. OTA 006 released yesterday, a small hotfix hue tomorrow.

http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-x8-h-plus-006-firmware-via-minix-fota.126/

If you are 002 and above then you can do update from System Update app (look for the icon in all apps).

If not directly flash to 006. Instructions and details:
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/official-x8-h-plus-006-firmware-20150706.6466/

For looking you build number - Setting -> Other

There you can see build number and kernal version.

Thanks for your reply, it's very helpful. I've an X-8H myself and have been updating the firmware via OTA, am on FW5 now. However, my mate has a Plus and I was trying to figure out if I needed to upgrade his firmware but couldn't figure out what version was installed or see an OTA button (like on mine).

Thanks for your reply, it's very helpful. I've an X-8H myself and have been updating the firmware via OTA, am on FW5 now. However, my mate has a Plus and I was trying to figure out if I needed to upgrade his firmware but couldn't figure out what version was installed or see an OTA button (like on mine).

If you cant see the update button then he is probably on the 001 version. There want an update button on that version. You can see the date of the version in kernal info. It's probably Nov/Dec 2014.

He needs to flash it manually to 006A (with hotfix). After that the update button will be available for the next updates.

Wasn't meant to make that face. Somehow clicked the icon button while replying.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for that. It must be the 001 version so. He only bought it locally a few weeks ago - I can't believe that they are still selling versions that old!! Is he going to have a lot of problems with that version? He's completely new to android boxes (and everything that goes with them) so I'm a bit wary telling him to update it on his own in case he messes it up and ruins the box, you know?

Every version has minor fixes and enhancements. Nothing major or ground breaking. If he is not facing any issue then there's a good chance he doesnt need those enhancements.

Flashing to new firmware is easy. The only problem - flashing new firmware manually will probably wipe out any of the apps that's installed. You can always take a backup of all your apps + kodi backup (if its installed). If he knows his way around Android then it shouldn't be an issue.

If he is not comfortable then I will suggest to leave the way it is. In case if he face any issue / problem then only think about flashing the new firmware.

The plus point of having the new firmware is to get any update whenever they are available that too without loosing out you apps or data. Go through the pain once and the next update is not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Is this the best box going?

Just got a 4k TV so looking for a very powerful box to use with it.

Thanks.

The Best Box - That's very subjective. You ask 10 different people and everyone will probably tell you about a different box. There's so many choices available.

This box is certainly not cheap.

From my experience its a very decent box with a good support. I have used quite a few boxes in last few years. In those I think its the best.

Cheers mate just got it there it's amazing I'm delighted with it.

Ok, so, my friend has the X-8H Plus model and he says that Genesis has "disappeared" from his icons. I presume that this is because he had an older version which has since been pulled with the recent updates? I can get him to do a reinstall but how do I set it up that his box updates automatically so that this doesn't happen again?

I'm a bit baffled to be honest because I have the older X-8H model and this have never happened to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

Ok, so, my friend has the X-8H Plus model and he says that 3rd Party addon has "disappeared" from his icons. I presume that this is because he had an older version which has since been pulled with the recent updates? I can get him to do a reinstall but how do I set it up that his box updates automatically so that this doesn't happen again?

I'm a bit baffled to be honest because I have the older X-8H model and this have never happened to me!

The 3rd party addon I removed from your quote...Updated it's code and bug fixes etc,etc broke the path on your friends build(skin)...I'd imagine.So it will probably still be listed in the Video Addons section.He can re-add it via Settings>Appearance>Skin Settings and all should be fine.

Anyone any good apps to get for this outside of the usual ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Burkie7 wrote: »

I have Showbox, Mobpro, Cartoon HD, Kodi, XMBC that's it.

Would really like to know how to get sports channel in HD.
    You know we can't answer that here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Burkie7 wrote: »

I have Showbox, Mobpro, Cartoon HD, Kodi, XMBC that's it.

Would really like to know how to get sports channel in HD.

Paid ones are the only way of getting HD!

Paid ones are the only way of getting HD!

Cool can you link me to the paid ones or do you mean UPC and SKY?

• Advertisement
Advertisement