Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our pony is a beaver!

Options
  • 13-04-2014 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi guys hope you can help. Our new pony is eating his way out of his stable - I have a metal strip over the door but now he has started on the wall supports & anywhere else he can get to. He is stabled mostly as was his routine previous - we've doubled up on the hay net to keep him busy & he has a salt lick. I'm hoping to fence off a bare paddock so he can have some time out as otherwise he would gobble everything in sight Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

There are effective antichew products out there but if your pony is that determined to chew, the problem will just manifest itself in other ways. Have you considered what's causing the problem? Is it pain or just boredom? Did he start chewing recently or has it done it for a long time? Is there any reason he shouldn't be outside other than it's not his previous routine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Is he a new pony that you purchased ?

Why are you sticking to a previous routine ? Is there reasons .
    Has he company?

What height is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TinaOT

Hi

Yes he is a new pony 13 hh welsh sect b & is 11.

He would be prone to weight gain & I can tell by him having just allowed him to graze in hand that he would be no time at all in putting on a belly.

He is ridden out for 2 hours at least & lunged every day.

He hasn't the company of another pony in the stable but plenty going on about him (farm) & he was always stabled in he previous yard though they were stone built.

I'm going to get his teeth checked just in case & will look into those products - someone said try soap?!? Are any of those anti boredom toys any use?

Thanks for your replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Ok so it looks like he is fit enough but he just needs to be out.

I personally would not be goin down the route of putting soap or anything on the door.
    He is trying tell you something - he dislikes being in
    Is there a reason why you are stickin to a routine the last people had?
    Id invest in a grazing muzzle and secure some area where he can be turned out even f it was gravel or clay surface.
    Sonewhere he can keep himself fit roll and not psychologically get himself into a twist because he not out .
    How is he for your childrem to ride when he is stabled that much?
    If he is ridden for two hours and lunged also he must b fit .

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TinaOT

Yes certainly will get a grazing muzzle as I'd love him to get out. I think that will help a lot.

He is fit but very well behaved under saddle - he knows once he is tacked up its all work & there is no pulling for grass however if he is being lead about in his head collar he can pull a bit to seek out a blade of grass or stray hay would imagine he'd make a great lawn mower if allowed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

It seems he is in need of a friend... My own was in the same situation, and was getting so bored despite hens cats and dog, training and TLC. One day I came back with a young Connemara.... They have been BFF ever since, he has changed so much., no longer bored.
    But of course you would need 2 more, cos he now hates to be left alone when one goes to work... :(

Advertisement