Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat nutrition

• 13-04-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

I know there are a couple of cat nutrition experts here so I'm hoping someone can advise me on a couple of things

Firstly, I have read a lot online about the benefits of coconut oil and that it can be good to feed some to your cat. I have been doing so but wondering while I do if it might be better to do cod liver oil instead, as this would be closer to a more natural diet for a cat. Its to boost health and vitality and as a treat (she gobbles the coconut oil!) so not a necessity. Any thoughts?

Secondly, I have been buying whole chickens lately to get more for my money but also to make broth. As I don't like the leg and thigh and other scruffy bits I cant help wondering if I could replace one of my cats meals with some of this. Its boiled so no exposure to anything other than water. She loves it and gobbles what I give her but I don't know how much would suffice as one meal.
    I contacted Royal Canin and they wont give any advise so as to keep themselves covered legally. She eats Oral Sensitive about 70 grams a day given in 3 small handfuls.
    Any ideas how many grams of boiled chicken would replace say 20-25 grams of dried kibble? Are there maybe other factors involved in doing this...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Iv never heard of giving coconut oil to a cat, must read up on that later. Cod liver oil is very high in vitamin A, salmon oil is a better alternative.

Nothing wrong with giving her chicken just don't give her cooked bones. You could even give it to her raw if she'll gnaw the meat off the bone it's good for keeping teeth clean, she might be able to manage the tip of the wing but the leg bone would be too hard for her. Not sure how much you should deduct from her dry food in that case, has she a tendency to put on weight?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Usually for raw you'd talk 2 to 3% of a cat's ideal weight as their daily meal so it depends on how much you're serving (and adjust as needed for your own cat) and check if your cat will actually eat it as well. Our own cats were raised on kibble only (we fell for the spiel about kibble being the bestest food eva! sadly) and refuses to touch chicken both cooked or raw (for them kibble is the only way food is suppose to be served) where as our foster cats have been trained to eat raw and boiled and now prefers it over wet and kibble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Iv never heard of giving coconut oil to a cat, must read up on that later. Cod liver oil is very high in vitamin A, salmon oil is a better alternative.

Nothing wrong with giving her chicken just don't give her cooked bones. You could even give it to her raw if she'll gnaw the meat off the bone it's good for keeping teeth clean, she might be able to manage the tip of the wing but the leg bone would be too hard for her. Not sure how much you should deduct from her dry food in that case, has she a tendency to put on weight?

she has a tendency to put on weight, ive only managed recently to get her down from 5.2 to under 5 so hoping to keep it that way as she is pretty petite.

didn't think of the wing tips, thanks that's a great idea!

as for the boiled shes turning her nose up at it now that its been in the fridge overnight so decision might be made for me on that!

will look into the salmon oil, that's a new one

Nody wrote: »
    Usually for raw you'd talk 2 to 3% of a cat's ideal weight as their daily meal so it depends on how much you're serving (and adjust as needed for your own cat) and check if your cat will actually eat it as well. Our own cats were raised on kibble only (we fell for the spiel about kibble being the bestest food eva! sadly) and refuses to touch chicken both cooked or raw (for them kibble is the only way food is suppose to be served) where as our foster cats have been trained to eat raw and boiled and now prefers it over wet and kibble.

maybe if you tell your guys its organic free range they will have a change of heart :P id say your fosters cant believe their luck!
    thanks for the stats! although its starting to look like it might not be as simple as just working it out as she seems to have preferences for how recently it has been cooked! kinda blows my thrifty plan but maybe I can find a way of serving it that will agree with her delicate palette :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

lolo62 wrote: »
    maybe if you tell your guys its organic free range they will have a change of heart :P id say your fosters cant believe their luck!
    The other way around; they can't understand why we'd bother serve them anything else and complain about it :P
    thanks for the stats! although its starting to look like it might not be as simple as just working it out as she seems to have preferences for how recently it has been cooked! kinda blows my thrifty plan but maybe I can find a way of serving it that will agree with her delicate palette :rolleyes:
    Well the normal route if you really want to go down that route is to start serving them some soft food instead, then work your way up to small pieces of meat, slightly larger etc. for them to re-learn how to deal with it. That takes time and dedication though and in the end if all comes down to the cat as you can't force them to eat it.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    The other way around; they can't understand why we'd bother serve them anything else and complain about it :P

Well the normal route if you really want to go down that route is to start serving them some soft food instead, then work your way up to small pieces of meat, slightly larger etc. for them to re-learn how to deal with it. That takes time and dedication though and in the end if all comes down to the cat as you can't force them to eat it.

cheers! shes looking a bit sluggish today so im starting to think a change is not going to be good for her, she can be sensitive so I guess ill stick to the kibble and give some bits and pieces as treats. I guess if it aint broke don't try and fix it in this case

thanks so much for all the tips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Coconut oil is full of good fats, antioxidants and has antibacterial/fungal/viral properties and aids digestion. Don't lace their food with it though, introduce it gradually - 1/4 of a teaspoon a day at first going up to a full teaspoon later 6 weeks or so. Too much too soon will give them the runs.

You can get coconut oil in tesco but you will find it is far cheaper in asian food markets. You should also consider using it yourself instead of plant oils in cooking and i know people that swear by coffee with coconut oil in the morning.

Coconut oil is full of good fats, antioxidants and has antibacterial/fungal/viral properties and aids digestion. Don't lace their food with it though, introduce it gradually - 1/4 of a teaspoon a day at first going up to a full teaspoon later 6 weeks or so. Too much too soon will give them the runs.

You can get coconut oil in tesco but you will find it is far cheaper in asian food markets. You should also consider using it yourself instead of plant oils in cooking and i know people that swear by coffee with coconut oil in the morning.

Coconut oil in coffee that's new to me.
    I use it in my porridge and on my face and hair. I find for cooking it's not the best as once the food cools slightly the oil sets again.
    It's good stuff though.
    Flower LOves it..I've only been giving her little bits to lick off my finger but she'd have her head stuck in the tub if I let her!
    Looking forward to coffee in the morning now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

http://bluebuffalo.com/cat-food/bc-indoor-health-chicken?pf=1&lifestage=adult&animal=cat

Thinking of getting this cat food for Pepper, is it good?

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

My cat has decided that the only thing he wants to eat are tins of tuna!
    I've bought him every type of food but he turns his nose up at them all!
    Is it ok for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Dunnes sell Cocowell pure coconut oil in a large tub for under a fiver. I use it on my skin and one of my cats tries to lick it off me:D Some of them love the smell others hate it. You'll find it with the other cooking oils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

deise08 wrote: »
    Is it ok for him?

mine will not touch tuna. they eat what they are given although some foods stay on the dish longer than others...chicken, raw or cooked, etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Nope, tuna on it's own is dangerous, as it's not balanced - for one thing you'd have to be supplementing with calcium, or risk osteoporosis. And calcium carbonate supplements can cause bloating and constipation. Cat food is the way to go!

Is it ok for him?

i know how hard it is but few cats will starve themselves to death. been through this over the decades many times. just leave a small portion of a cat food down. he will eat when he is hungry enough. mine know the rules now but still make big eyes.

Dunnes sell Cocowell pure coconut oil in a large tub for under a fiver. I use it on my skin and one of my cats tries to lick it off me:D Some of them love the smell others hate it. You'll find it with the other cooking oils.

ha ha my cat does that too, maybe ill pick up a tub of that for her..the one I get from the health shop is much more expensive!
    thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Graces7 wrote: »
    i know how hard it is but few cats will starve themselves to death. been through this over the decades many times. just leave a small portion of a cat food down. he will eat when he is hungry enough. mine know the rules now but still make big eyes.

Currently trying to diet ours and she takes one look at the kibble, walks off, sits looking at me sadly for up to 20 minutes before nibbling just a small bit of it. Then she stalks off and ignores me. Finally she has a sleep protest before going back and nibbling more of it. She also behaves like she hasn't seen food in a month when my husband comes in, but he knows her tricks. Her roundy belly tells it's own tale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Is it ok for him?
    My cats used to love tuna, but then Felix got sick of it when we were hiding his antibiotics in the juice, so we had to switch to the Lidl tins of wild red salmon, they won't touch the wild pink salmon:rolleyes:, now they've no real interest in tuna.

Tuna is high in mercury apparently, so probably not a long term option. Mine are very faddy at times, but for now they seem happy on the tins of chicken and salmon Bozita.

Currently trying to diet ours and she takes one look at the kibble, walks off, sits looking at me sadly for up to 20 minutes before nibbling just a small bit of it. Then she stalks off and ignores me. Finally she has a sleep protest before going back and nibbling more of it. She also behaves like she hasn't seen food in a month when my husband comes in, but he knows her tricks. Her roundy belly tells it's own tale!

:rolleyes:

just had this with my very loud voiced girl, racing round the kitchen pretending the dish of cooked chicken and kibble is not there, arching and dancing. needless to say she has eaten and is curled up asleep on my bed here.

My cats used to love tuna, but then Felix got sick of it when we were hiding his antibiotics in the juice, so we had to switch to the Lidl tins of wild red salmon, they won't touch the wild pink salmon:rolleyes:, now they've no real interest in tuna.

Tuna is high in mercury apparently, so probably not a long term option. Mine are very faddy at times, but for now they seem happy on the tins of chicken and salmon Bozita.

gee; your cats eat better than i do! we are very basic in this house though. suppose it is what you are used to. ah well; we are happy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement