Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weed and feed or just plain fertilizer?

• 13-04-2014 6:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

my lawn is a very light green colour and want to get it a nicer dark green.

Would you go with the weed and feed fertilizers or just a basic fertilizer such as 0-7-30?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

You need something with more nitrogen than the one you mentioned, the high phosphorous/potash is better for autumn feeding.

the weed and feed is probably you best bet as it will have much smaller granules whereas the likes of growmore would be too granular for a lawn (not so good distribution)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lumo22

Get a bag of 7-6-17,from your local farm supplier/co-op, 1/5 the price of the 'lawn' fertilisers, just as good.
    Or 18-6-12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Need more nitrogen this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

lumo22 wrote: »
    Get a bag of 7-6-17,from your local farm supplier/co-op, 1/5 the price of the 'lawn' fertilisers, just as good.
    Or 18-6-12.

I would agree with this if its an established lawn. Agricultural grade 7-6-17+S will be ample, its also a slow releasing fertiliser, and the '+S' will give you that nice green.

I have used 18-6-12 plenty of times, but I now have an established lawn and would be afraid to use it now, unless playing a joke on someone :pac:, but it does have its uses if the grass simply wont grow. If its growing, no need for the latter IMO.

See;

http://www.caraghnurseries.ie/news/2011/04/13/our-lovely-animals

Advertisement