Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basset Hound Pup limping

• 13-04-2014 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey Guys
    Just asking on here before I take my pup to the vet. He started limping a few days ago. He doesn't seem to be in pain and can still run etc when he wants. We've been resting him for a couple I days to see if it's a strain but still seems to be there.
    Anyone else had any experience with this?
    Other than this he's been a dream dog. Easy to train and so good with the kids.

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

I suppose you checked his pawn to see if one of the pad was not cut or if a thorn/bit of glass was not lodged in between two pad ?

When I see all the crap people throw around on the sidewalk and even along the canal/forest track, I'm considering getting some dog shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Jalalabad

Plopli wrote: »
    I suppose you checked his pawn to see if one of the pad was not cut or if a thorn/bit of glass was not lodged in between two pad ?

When I see all the crap people throw around on the sidewalk and even along the canal/forest track, I'm considering getting some dog shoes.

Yeah I've checked his pads and worked his joints. All seem fine but he's still limping. Doesn't seem to be in pain but I've read stories of basset's ending up with limps for life or long running issues with limps.
    Any clues about whether it might be just a groin/muscle strain or something more serious?
    Thanks
    J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How old is he and when was his last check up at the vets? When my pup was 6 months she had a "puppy check" where the vet checked everything including her elbows, knees and hips and could feel that they were all sound.

tk123 wrote: »
    How old is he and when was his last check up at the vets? When my pup was 6 months she had a "puppy check" where the vet checked everything including her elbows, knees and hips and could feel that they were all sound.

5 months. He was checked a couple of weeks ago. I've read up on it and it looks like it's just a short term thing that'll pass.

Jalalabad wrote: »
    5 months. He was checked a couple of weeks ago. I've read up on it and it looks like it's just a short term thing that'll pass.

If one of mine was still limping after complete rest i.e. no/very short leashed walks for a few days I'd be taking them to the vets to get checked out to be safe. Especially if it was a pup and especially if it was breed that's prone to joint issues - I have 2 retrievers and one of them has a rare bone deformity...

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    If one of mine was still limping after complete rest i.e. no/very short leashed walks for a few days I'd be taking them to the vets to get checked out to be safe. Especially if it was a pup and especially if it was breed that's prone to joint issues - I have 2 retrievers and one of them has a rare bone deformity...

Yeah I'm gonna take him in anyway but was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it. I've read they can be hit hard with 'growing pains' as a breed but will check with vet to be sure. If it was bothering him more I'd be more worried.

Just be careful because they're very good a hiding their pain - my dog walked out of the vets 4 hours after having his leg surgically straightened(!). Hopefully it's just a case of having to rest him for a week!

I know what you mean. We had a collie who's only sign of pain was a growl once so took her straight to vet to be told she had a huge tumour so was put to sleep. That's why I'm being so careful now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Jack hurt one of his toes about a month ago... He's nearly 18 weeks now. I noticed the limp and he was holding up the paw when sitting. Bit was otherwise waking, running and especially play fighting with his brother.

Felt him over. One of his toes when pressed resulted in a yelp. Must have sprained or hurt it. We read lots of horror stories about breaks, placing his paw in a cast (and the awful side effects) and long recoveries...

We played it by ear for about 5-7 days... Improving bit by bit. Crate rest. No playing with bigger bro, and monitored his slow but steady improvement. Was gone in a week.

It might be nothing. It might be more serious. Just our 2 cents...

Hooked wrote: »
    Jack hurt one of his toes about a month ago... He's nearly 18 weeks now. I noticed the limp and he was holding up the paw when sitting. Bit was otherwise waking, running and especially play fighting with his brother.

Felt him over. One of his toes when pressed resulted in a yelp. Must have sprained or hurt it. We read lots of horror stories about breaks, placing his paw in a cast (and the awful side effects) and long recoveries...

We played it by ear for about 5-7 days... Improving bit by bit. Crate rest. No playing with bigger bro, and monitored his slow but steady improvement. Was gone in a week.

It might be nothing. It might be more serious. Just our 2 cents...

Don't think it's anything serious. Checked bones etc and seems good so will give it a couple of days and take him in for check up anyway.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement