Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone/Windows 8 UPC Horizon TV app

Options
  • 13-04-2014 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Hi guys,

As you probably know, UPC launched their Horizon TV app for Android on Friday (iOS was released last year). I would love to see this on Windows Phone/Windows 8. I have contacted them and got the usual response;

"At present, we don't have an update on this. We will update you should we get more information."

While I understand them focusing on iOS & Android based on the users in this country, it is now time to encourage them to look further at Windows Phone/Windows 8. It's now very simple to create a Windows 8 app and port it to Windows Phone. All they need to see is a user base asking right?!
    Let's set the ball rolling and get in touch with them. (one-liners will do!)
    Expect to get the usual response above but there is no harm in letting them know we are here!

This may prove fruitless but if we are to get local apps, we need to be vocal!!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/upcireland
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UPCIreland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

But their ad says that horizon turns any screen into a tv screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I just asked them on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

unkel wrote: »
    I just asked them on twitter.

I expect the usual response but hopefully it will at least put it on their radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You expect right :)

At least the question was asked and UPC did reply within minutes:

@UPCIreland - when do you plan on launching the Horizon app for the excellent Windows Phone 8 platform?

@unkel Hi. We don't have a release date for this as of yet. We will notify customers should this become available in the future. Thanks, Cat

unkel wrote: »
    You expect right :)

At least the question was asked and UPC did reply within minutes:

@UPCIreland - when do you plan on launching the Horizon app for the excellent Windows Phone 8 platform?

@unkel Hi. We don't have a release date for this as of yet. We will notify customers should this become available in the future. Thanks, Cat

One of my mate also requested it and this is the response he got;

"We don't have an update regarding a Windows Phone App Alan, but will certainly pass on your request. Thanks, Eamonn"

Slightly changed from our replies. Anyone else you know get them to tweet them also, they don't have to be UPC customers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

mark_m360 wrote: »
    One of my mate also requested it and this is the response he got;

"We don't have an update regarding a Windows Phone App Alan, but will certainly pass on your request. Thanks, Eamonn"

Slightly changed from our replies. Anyone else you know get them to tweet them also, they don't have to be UPC customers ;)

The last number I heard from MS was 10-12% of the market for sales, so add that when asking about apps.

liamog wrote: »
    The last number I heard from MS was 10-12% of the market for sales, so add that when asking about apps.

Yeah that's for the UK market, 12%. It would be smaller here but still growing. I've said it to other companies and it doesn't make a difference until they see someone they work with/friends with have Windows Phones. It's going in the right direction but lack of advertising and buy-in from carriers hinder the perception further.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Yeah that's for the UK market, 12%. It would be smaller here but still growing. I've said it to other companies and it doesn't make a difference until they see someone they work with/friends with have Windows Phones. It's going in the right direction but lack of advertising and buy-in from carriers hinder the perception further.

Irish market share for WP is around 10% or 11%.

As for apps, just keep asking (or bugging) the various companies - that's all you can really do. But also know that in the background Microsoft are constantly asking companies about their plans and try to help where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

theothernt wrote: »
    Irish market share for WP is around 10% or 11%.

As for apps, just keep asking (or bugging) the various companies - that's all you can really do. But also know that in the background Microsoft are constantly asking companies about their plans and try to help where possible.

Also, Microsoft has a "Where's my App?" App that you enter the app that you are looking for and if it doesn't exist it will suggest and alternative.

The alternative is mostly useless but sometimes close. I used it a few times thinking that Microsoft use it in the background to see what apps are popular requests and use it as area of focus for new apps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

No that's from an MS source for the Irish Market. I'm definitely seeing a lot more WPs around when using public transport.

I'd agree with you though on the colleagues/friends thing. The problem is most of the decision makers are stuck on iPhones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭wilser

Also, Microsoft has a "Where's my App?" App that you enter the app that you are looking for and if it doesn't exist it will suggest and alternative.

Is this in the windows store? Can't find it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

wilser wrote: »
    Is this in the windows store? Can't find it
    Here's the link http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=1913db3b-2ff8-4d11-a979-7395f7419f23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭wilser

Thanks for the link, didn't show up when i searched for some reason

Advertisement