Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how are you for grass??

• 13-04-2014 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

was grand here up to now..grass is getting very tight as demand grows...greening up but very little real growth..fields are very patchy too...might have to get the creep feeder out for a little while :mad::mad:..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

eorna wrote: »
    was grand here up to now..grass is getting very tight as demand grows...greening up but very little real growth..fields are very patchy too...might have to get the creep feeder out for a little while :mad::mad:..

Ah, I won't say we're the opposite... But I kinda feel that I might get out of trouble soon...

Grass was very slow to grow here this spring I thought... But places are looking a bit better now...

But - I will accept I am both understocked and poor at grass management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Could be better, looking at neighbours could also be an awful lot worse. Am supplementing everything at the moment.

Funny, about 2 1/2 years ago I made the decision to lamb mid March, have had one bad and one poor Spring since then for growth. April 1st next year I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Applied fertiliser a month ago to have a nice green carpet in one field. The ewes and lambs are grazing it. Rest of farm that got no fertiliser is bare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Applied fertiliser a month ago to have a nice green carpet in one field. The ewes and lambs are grazing it. Rest of farm that got no fertiliser is bare.

Ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Getting a great kick from nitrogen I put out the first week of march, ewes going back in on grass that they left bare a fortnight ago and theres 10cms on it now, Only one bag CAN to the acre, Spread the same last year on the first of April and wasted it.....never worked

• Advertisement

Asked the local contractor to put out some fertilizer in a high field for me, as I wasn't too comfortable about doing it meself...

He called today, and put it out, I wasn't around - but it looks like he put out what fertilizer I had in the yard, which I think would be over 3 bags / acre.. bit higher than what I had planned... :o

We'll see if this blanket application works out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭eire23

rancher wrote: »
    Getting a great kick from nitrogen I put out the first week of march, ewes going back in on grass that they left bare a fortnight ago and theres 10cms on it now, Only one bag CAN to the acre, Spread the same last year on the first of April and wasted it.....never worked

Is that reseeded land rancher?

Grass situation is good here, Bag of 18-6-12 out on most fields. Was feeding the ewes ahead this time last year, some difference.

Asked the local contractor to put out some fertilizer in a high field for me, as I wasn't too comfortable about doing it meself...

He called today, and put it out, I wasn't around - but it looks like he put out what fertilizer I had in the yard, which I think would be over 3 bags / acre.. bit higher than what I had planned... :o

We'll see if this blanket application works out...

Close it up for bales john!

eire23 wrote: »
    Close it up for bales john!

No can do...

I wouldn't ask any lad to mow and bale it, if anything happened like...

If the field was even enough to be cut by a mower it might be worth running it by the contractor, he will have a fair idea if its a runner or not?

Still im sure the ewes and lambs wont see it going to waste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Is that reseeded land rancher?

Grass situation is good here, Bag of 18-6-12 out on most fields. Was feeding the ewes ahead this time last year, some difference.

Haven't reseeded here since the 80s, I was feeding 500kg nuts/day through the snacker for the month of april last year, and into may. at least I could get it not like lads looking for silage..some difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

I'm pretty ok. Spread pasture award about a month ago on most paddocks. Most were reseeded on past few years so responded very well. Anything that wasn't closed for the winter is very bare and very slow to respond to fertiliser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Access to some extra grazing this year so no worries in that regard. Land starting to respond well to the decent drying conditions of the past few weeks. All in all way ahead of last year on most fronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Got urea out before paddy day and worked well up to this week put another half bag to acre on some yesterday. Fields very bare at the moment and some are getting meal outside. Must be warmer weather down south

If the field was even enough to be cut by a mower it might be worth running it by the contractor, he will have a fair idea if its a runner or not?

Still im sure the ewes and lambs wont see it going to waste.

You could run a mower over it, in that there is no stones, and the surface is good. But the field itself is high, there is a drop off the bottom of it.
    And below the drop is a main road... :(
    A run-away bale could lead to bad things, not to mind if a tractor went...

I am happy enough to feed it...

Whilst it got more fertiliser than I kinda wanted - it is badly in need of the P and K (it hasn't gotten much if any fertiliser in years really)
    And I think cutting it, would only do it more harm (nutrient wise)

razor8 wrote: »
    Got urea out before paddy day and worked well up to this week put another half bag to acre on some yesterday. Fields very bare at the moment and some are getting meal outside. Must be warmer weather down south

Oh - I am still feeding ewes, but I hope to stop when they move to the next paddock (maybe) ;)

Advertisement