Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE One HD and TWO HD

• 13-04-2014 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what resolution these are and even though they are marked HD are they the equivalent to what you would get from a Blue ray?

Thanks.

Comments

1440x1080i. I think the bit rate is capped at 8 or 9Mb/s so it would be significantly lower quality than Blu-ray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Would it be less quality than a proper 720p video? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭AndersKP

It will be far from Blu-ray quality but good all the same.( I'd be go smacked if it was as low as 8mbps Karsini.)

HD is a broad term and as Karsani alluded too resolution can be very misleading. Two 1080p signals can vary massively in image quality.

Is there any reason you ask because perhaps we could be more definitive if we knew.

AndersKP wrote: »
    It will be far from Blu-ray quality but good all the same.( I'd be go smacked if it was as low as 8mbps Karsini.)

HD is a broad term and as Karsani alluded too resolution can be very misleading. Two 1080p signals can vary massively in image quality.

Is there any reason you ask because perhaps we could be more definitive if we knew.

The main reason I asked is because we have a new tv and I haven't tried watching a file from a disk or blue ray; although I have watched hd films on other tvs and my laptops.

Compared to what I saw in the past I was disappointed with rte one and two and was hoping that the new tv wasn't sh*te...

Ah okay.

First thing I would suggest is having a quick look into the picture menu. Don't worry, it's really simple and you can't do any damage.

It sounds like the picture is not set up correctly and this can have a massive influence on how good the picture is. Try lowering the brightness and contrast.

There are loads a step by step guides online so I would try that.

• Advertisement

OK, I was reading up on getting some calibration cd. Have you any experience with that?

Yip, are you getting the THX disc and glasses?

Ps what TV have you got?

AndersKP wrote: »

The official spec says:
    Capacity Required for HD and SD Services

The following technical specifications are being proposed by RTÉNL and are subject to contract negotiations with broadcasters.

Statistical multiplexing will be used for all video services, audio and data services are fixed bit rate. It is planned to use the following bit rates as part of a statistical multiplexed pool.

High Definition Video (HD)
    1 Minimum of 2.0 Mbps
    2 Maximum of 9.0 Mbps
    3 Weighting 90%
    4 Resolution 1440 x 1080i
    5 Expected average bit rate 6.0 Mbps

Standard Definition Video (SD)
    • Minimum of 1.0 Mbps
    • Maximum of 8.0 Mbps
    • Weighting 90%
    • Resolution 544 x 576
    • Expected average bit rate 2.0 Mbps

Audio HD and/or SD
    • Main program audio 192 kbps (stereo)
    • Secondary program audio 96 kbps (mono), if required.
    • Access services 96 kbps (mono), if required.

Wow. Thanks for sharing, that's very low & the beeb isn't much better. True to my word, I am gobsmacked!!

Should still hold up well on a decent panel though with regards to the OP

This is the one I was considering getting because there is a tutorial on lifehacker.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

Here is the link to the tutorial...
    http://lifehacker.com/5858625/how-to-calibrate-your-hdtv-and-boost-your-video-quality-in-30-minutes-or-less

I wish I had the model number to hand but it wasn't bought online - all I can say is it was one of the lower end Sonys....it's at the parents house so they didn't want to go all out...

• Advertisement

To be honest I've only ever properly used the THX optimiser but I'm sure it's much the same

http://www.thx.com/test-bench-blog/thx-calibrator-blu-ray-disc-explained/

Once the disc is playing it's pretty much step by step. It will show you images and ask you to adjust brightness/colour to a certain level. For example reduce the contrast until you can't see a symbol

Advertisement