Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Soccer Forum

Options
  • 13-04-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

We are unable to question moderating decisions on thread and I am aware of some unfruitful PM conversations that have seen some users banned so, as such, I am raising the issue here.

Some of the Liverpool regulars have taken to posting Panda .gifs out of excitement at an unbelievable turn of fortunes in the football world. .gifs that are not strictly on topic get posted from time to time. While images that are NSFW should obviously be prohibited, why exactly are long term poster being infracted and banned because they want to make some lighthearted jokes?

As I say, we cannot discuss the matter on the forum so I'm hoping we can get some explanation here.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

For example, I DO think there's an obvious problem with .gifs of this nature as it is not safe for work content...

Admin: NSFW images changed to links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

**** you lloyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Can mods be infracted as with regular posters?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The problems in the recent match thread, although featuring some panda content, were not in any way related to it. It seems pretty random that the posting of all panda content (not a sentence I thought I'd ever write) is banned.

The original problem was related to discussing a particular poster in not positive terms, and while this was rightly outlawed, the over the top application of it which has seen subsequent excited panda gifs posted being deleted is just needless and OTT.

Not the most important topic in the world, but it could lead to bigger problems over this item being so heavy handedly dealt with imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

And why was the link to this deleted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The moderation of the match thread was extremely excessive, I believe. What's with us not being able to refer to ourselves as Match Thread Saps, something that has been an in thread LFC joke for weeks now?

The first inflammatory post in that thread was ironically as a result of the Mod post. Prior to that, everything was good natured, harmless, and ultimately just a bit of fun.

If needed, when I have time tomorrow I can write up a proper post and perhaps dig up some examples. That's if these matters are actually going to be addressed rather than shoved under the carpet and cards shown again, which seems to be the ethos in the SF right now, regardless of the quality of poster involved.

Its actually all a little surreal, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It's not only the prohibition on pandas but the clamp down on some posters referring to themselves as saps seems a bit much.
    I cannot see why it has caused so much fuss, it's a harmless joke that a few posters use to describe themselves and as one of the poster who does this, it is not being aimed at anyone.
    I got an infraction for it and in the 4 years I have been posting here I have never caused any ruckus nor got into spates with other posters.
    Getting called moronic and spouting vitriol about the hillsborough disaster warrants the same level of moderation as posting a harmless panda picture and calling oneself a sap.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    And why was the link to this deleted?

I am a bit shocked at that myself. I have also received an infraction for linking to this thread. :(

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I am a bit shocked at that myself. I have also received an infraction for linking to this thread. :(

So the issue just gets extended, rather than dealt with. Exactly what I was on about with my post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

No panda's, no jokes about Chelsea!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

You were done for linking your own thread? :eek:

But how can we have a debate if you can't let people know about it?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Might be better for Opr's sanity that he has been perm banned from the soccer forum as a result this issue, although his choice of words, like your own in the past was not exactly good.

Posters like him will be missed though, especially when it comes down to a clash of personalities.

You were done for linking your own thread? :eek:

But how can we have a debate if you can't let people know about it?

It would appear that there is no interest in debate. Shame. Its not a nice feeling to lose faith in forum that you enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

5starpool wrote: »
    Might be better for Opr's sanity that he has been perm banned from the soccer forum as a result this issue, although his choice of words, like your own in the past was not exactly good.

Posters like him will be missed though, especially when it comes down to a clash of personalities.

Surely he hasn't been perma banned? Jesus suffering christ this place is beyond a joke now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

That is not true Lloyd. You were warned for questioning mod decisions on thread. Calling the bans that were handed out ridiculous is a clear breach of the charter as written. The fact that you raised a feedback thread did not earn you the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The soccer forum is serious business in my life. I don't use boards.ie for entertainment purposes, so less of the fool acting would be appreciated.

The amalgamation of ones and zeros, forming pages of content affect my reality in such a way that it defines, not only my mood but, my very well being on a day to day basis.

So a panda joke went on for an entire day. Stamp it out, is my stance. Childish behaviour and an...

OK, I can't keep this up longer. I've seen soccer mods 'get in on' wrestling jokes on the soccer forum. And I mean pages of the ****e. I think wrestling is gash. I think the panda joke thing was gash. I didn't complain about either, cause I'm a grown ass man, but I'd straight up love to hear why all those poxy wrestling jokes, references, videos, pics and gifs are allowed and panda ones are not.

Cheers.

That is not true Lloyd. You were warned for questioning mod decisions on thread. Calling the bans that were handed out ridiculous is a clear breach of the charter as written. The fact that you raised a feedback thread did not earn you the warning.

The warning is under dispute, I disagree with your position. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

Surely he hasn't been perma banned? Jesus suffering christ this place is beyond a joke now.

Nah, a month ban.

It's really rather strange what's happening re: Pandagate. An awful lot worse has appeared on the soccer form other than a few gifs of cute furry animals.

The warning is under dispute, I disagree with your position. Cheers.
    But you are purposely misrepresenting the case to serve your own ends. You were warned for that reason, not for the feedback thread. That is a fact, I know, I warned you, if it is found that your post was not questioning mods decisions on thread by a Cmod/Admin then it will be overturned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

But you are purposely misrepresenting the case to serve your own ends. You were warned for that reason, not for the feedback thread. That is a fact, I know, I warned you, if it is found that your post was not questioning mods decisions on thread by a Cmod/Admin then it will be overturned.

If you deleted Lloyd's link to this thread can I post a link to it in the Liverpool thread or will that be also deleted and if so,why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Was told to piss off by a poster. No infraction. Not really bothered, so i just let it go. But then we get lads being carded for harmless stuff. So inconsistant.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89211198&postcount=7590

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Has anything constructive ever been done as a result of a feedback thread?

This isn't really a feedback forum. It's more of a 'oh great you have constructive criticism? Well let me tell you exactly how we don't give a crap and get back in your box'

These threads usually last a couple of pages with some ambiguous defence of the sites stance of a particular issue and then it's let continue for a couple of hours and then it's locked.

There is something seriously wrong with the moderation on the soccer forum and it's become a horrible place to post in.

I think you know it is inappropriate to discuss the warning here. I contest the bolded also, and you are aware that it has been raised up the Sports CMod team. This thread is not to discuss that but the wider issue as per the OP. Cheers.

I think you know it is inappropriate to discuss the warning here. I contest the bolded also, and you are aware that it has been raised up the Sports CMod team. This thread is not to discuss that but the wider issue as per the OP. Cheers.
    I don't believe so. You brought it up and misrepresented the facts, had you not done so, I would not have commented on it.

I don't believe so. You brought it up and misrepresented the facts, had you not done so, I would not have commented on it.

Your opinion is not a fact. Cheers.

If you deleted Lloyd's link to this thread can I post a link to it in the Liverpool thread or will that be also deleted and if so,why?

So are we getting an answer on this then, or are we dragging the thread off topic (rather ironically), with something that Lloyd has already stated as being discussed elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Your opinion is not a fact. Cheers.
    No, in this case it is. I know why I warned you, I believe you breached the charter.

Whether or not my interpretation of the post is upheld by a Cmod/Admin as a breach of the charter may be up for debate, but my reason for doing so isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

glued wrote: »
    Has anything constructive ever been done as a result of a feedback thread?

This isn't really a feedback forum. It's more of a 'oh great you have constructive criticism? Well let me tell you exactly how we don't give a crap and get back in your box'

These threads usually last a couple of pages with some ambiguous defence of the sites stance of a particular issue and then it's let continue for a couple of hours and then it's locked.

There is something seriously wrong with the moderation on the soccer forum and it's become a horrible place to post in.

Plenty of good has come from threads in feedback. The most recent one I can think of off the top of my head is the crackdown on rape and sexist jokes in AH, after a long, fairly heated feedback thread.

But if (I haven't noseyed in the Soccer forum for months) the assertion that the OP is deliberately misrepresenting points is correct, it can make it more difficult to take everything that's said seriously, even if the points have merit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The Panda banning I think is excessive, nothing overly malicious about it. Though I think an issue was that they were being used in response to posts about BNMC. A group of posters going into match threads with an agenda (while some do take it in the light hearted nature it's intended and only do it in Liverpool's threads) that spreads into other team's match threads is ridiculous. For all the moaning ye all do about BNMC there's a group of Liverpool fans doing similar things all season, and indeed last season in every United thread. A mod tried to stop it and a group of people ignored it and acted like spoilt kids. Only when it was locked and reopened was there some order to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement