Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Soccer Forum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

That ^^^
    I just couldn't put it as eloquently...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Nope, it's not that.

It's halfwits in superthreads thinking they are the bigman by quoting out of context posts and saying "hurdehur look at this derp" without the balls to directly confront the post they are quoting within the context in which it was originally posted.

If I post in Thread X - I may never read Thread Y, meanwhile some utter tramp is slagging me off in Thread Y, without my knowledge, without giving me a chance to back-up my point that he disagrees with, instead he posts somewhere else, like a coward, knowing I'm unlikely to see it, and he and his little tramp chums can laugh it up. Backslapping away like the sad bastards they are.
    That ^^^
    I just couldn't put it as eloquently...

A person with tourettes could have said that with more elegance.

Knex. wrote: »
    A person with tourettes could have said that with more elegance.
    Elegance is not eloquence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

A person with tourettes could have said that post with more elegance.

Cool story bro - are you one of these types who do said action?

Or do you think it's ok to do it?

Be better if you could engage in the topic rather than having digs at posters really.

But each to their own - it's people like you who these ridiculous rules are in place to protect I suppose - not got the balls to outright insult someone, but skirt around the rules and get all offended if someone calls you on it.

Myself and Lloyd are hardly bosom buddies, but at least we can talk straight to each other.

ffs, if you want to call me names, go ahead and call me names, but don't get all passive aggressive about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Think this thread has served its purpose in solving the problems raised in the OP. Fair play to Gav.

I don't think the 'tramp' and 'bastard' posts are in anyway constructive really.

• Advertisement

Ye're not exactly inspiring an amicable debate here fellas, are ye.

@Will, I'm sure you know Boards rule on correcting grammar as much as anyone.

@Baldy, read my previous posts on the matter. You'll know I never did it. Your first post is abusive and way over the top. The second is absolutely patronising to the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I think this pretty much sums up the problem with the soccer forum in general. No amount of moderation can instil a sense of decency, fairness or mutual respect in those who'd rather hate and antagonise.

The second is absolutely patronising to the extreme.

yes, good. I wanted it to come across like that, because I'm not like you.

You wanted to insult me, but instead of outright doing that, you roundaboutly refer to a mental health condition and compare my post to it.

I mean, fair play to you, you didn't really break any rules there, you got around them in a fairly obvious way, and you got your dig in at me. Well done.

Abusive, yes - I never mentioned anyone in particular, I was referring to a group of people who engage in cowardly behaviour, frankly they deserve to be called out for what they are doing.

Lloyd defending them is funny

@Will, I'm sure you know Boards rule on correcting grammar as much as anyone

Nice try.
    You gave my post a different meaning. I corrected you.
    I've PM'd you BTW, if you would be so kind as to reply.

yes, good. I wanted it to come across like that, because I'm not like you.

You wanted to insult me, but instead of outright doing that, you roundaboutly refer to a mental health condition and compare my post to it.

I mean, fair play to you, you didn't really break any rules there, you got around them in a fairly obvious way, and you got your dig in at me. Well done.

Abusive, yes - I never mentioned anyone in particular, I was referring to a group of people who engage in cowardly behaviour, frankly they deserve to be called out for what they are doing.

... I don't know why I'm getting into this with you.

I referred to Will's post stating yours as being eloquent. I don't even believe you would harbour that notion yourself.

How you could take that as an insult, I'll never know. Critical of your posting style, certainly. Bit of a stretch there on your behalf to say I wanted to insult you. But call it whatever you like.

Stating you wanted to be patronising? Christ man. The whole, "I'm forthcoming with my emotions, therefore a better man", vibe is a bit much. Be forthcoming, sure, but don't be a dick.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to be eloquent or elegant or an elephant. Or any other large grey mammal like a hippo.

I am trying to show exactly what is going on in the Soccer Forum at the moment, and is being allowed to happen.

Cowardly re-posting of posts out of context, not giving the original poster a chance for a right of reply.

also, low level, skirting the rules posting, not exactly breaking rules, just not doing enough for the mods to take any action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

The biggest problem with the soccer forum is that there is no incentive for intelligent debate. Once you maneouve through the 'seedy underbelly' of unintelligent humour, regular trolling and prepubescent tirades there is very little intelligent posting.

Sometimes the posting is of such a poor standard that anyone of any comprehension would feel like Sartre reading through some of the threads.

Hyperbole intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Nope, it's not that.

It's halfwits in superthreads thinking they are the bigman by quoting out of context posts and saying "hurdehur look at this derp" without the balls to directly confront the post they are quoting within the context in which it was originally posted.

If I post in Thread X - I may never read Thread Y, meanwhile some utter tramp is slagging me off in Thread Y, without my knowledge, without giving me a chance to back-up my point that he disagrees with, instead he posts somewhere else, like a coward, knowing I'm unlikely to see it, and he and his little tramp chums can laugh it up. Backslapping away like the sad bastards they are.

Were you not recently arguing for the right to do this in a private forum

And you all threw your collective toys out of the pram and set up shop somewhere else when you were smacked down for doing it

Yes I know your arguement was about Admin interference and privacy in a private forum but this behaviour was what brought it about

Were you not recently arguing for the right to do this in a private forum

And you all threw your collective toys out of the pram and set up shop somewhere else when you were smacked down for doing it

Yes I know your arguement was about Admin interference and privacy in a private forum but this behaviour was what brought it about

Good point well made caller.

The difference here is that all and sundry can see the post/s, it's just that nobody ever tells the person being called out that they are being called out. It's cowardly for the person to then continue to interact with the other person, meanwhile getting other people to comment on their comments without that persons knowledge or ability to reply.

Sure, we can all see the silly posts on forums like RAWK (or Redcaf), and laugh about them (or defend them), but those people aren't Boardsies, those people aren't part of this Soccer Community that is a melting pot of communities, different to single team forums, there is supposed to be a modicum of respect among the contributers that you don't get on other forums (at least that's what we are being lead to believe in other threads aboout other SF Issues), so I do think that doing this particular thing within the confines of the Boards.ie Soccer Forum is a little different to what you are talking about here, and indeed what I was engaged in in a prior thread. the difference is subtle, so I'm not overly surprised that it is lost on you.

Or maybe it's not, and you made a point to have me made fun of.

I've not worked that bit out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The whole idea of cowardliness on an anonymous forum is such lolworthy "internet serious business" stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Do people not use the 'find all posts that quote me' function to navigate, and thus they'll find the posts in thread Y ?
    I use it all the time just to see if theres a reply to something I said/asked days ago that I may have missed.
    (Obviously if people have removed the quote tags it won't come up).

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Good point well made caller.

The difference here is that all and sundry can see the post/s, it's just that nobody ever tells the person being called out that they are being called out. It's cowardly for the person to then continue to interact with the other person, meanwhile getting other people to comment on their comments without that persons knowledge or ability to reply.

They are more likely to be made aware of it and be able to respond to it happening publically though

it is far more cowardly to do it in a private forum i would have thought where they definitely don't have the abiluity to reply
    Sure, we can all see the silly posts on forums like RAWK (or Redcaf), and laugh about them (or defend them), but those people aren't Boardsies, those people aren't part of this Soccer Community that is a melting pot of communities, different to single team forums, there is supposed to be a modicum of respect among the contributers that you don't get on other forums (at least that's what we are being lead to believe in other threads aboout other SF Issues), so I do think that doing this particular thing within the confines of the Boards.ie Soccer Forum is a little different to what you are talking about here, and indeed what I was engaged in in a prior thread. the difference is subtle, so I'm not overly surprised that it is lost on you.

Or maybe it's not, and you made a point to have me made fun of.

I've not worked that bit out yet.

I didn't post to get you made fun of you, I just felt that given what went on recently your stance was hypocritical, not saying it was intentionally so, and that the hypocrisy should be pointed out

Obviously I don't currently have access to the soccer forum as I don't have enough posts or been around long enough but I do follow it regularly and have seen the sort of behaviour that is being discussed, I don't see much wrong with it to be honest, if it strays towards bullying territory then it can be dealt with by contacting the Mods but so far it is generally just taking the piss out of stupid posts and given it is an open forum then maybe people should be more prepared to stand over what they post

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Do people not use the 'find all posts that quote me' function to navigate, and thus they'll find the posts in thread Y ?
    I use it all the time just to see if theres a reply to something I said/asked days ago that I may have missed.
    (Obviously if people have removed the quote tags it won't come up).

Personally I've never used it except out of idle curiosity. I'll keep up with threads I've posted in. Wouldn't occur to me to check other threads.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Have you examples of this?

I'm pretty sure boards takes this quite seriously and the mods are meant to come down on it like a tonne of bricks. It is seen as bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nope, it's not that.

You may never post in Thread Y but it doesn't mean that your post can only be quoted in Thread Y for ever more. You seem to be suggesting that posts can only be quoted or discussed within the threads they're posted?

Secondly, not everything is about 'slagging off'. Sometimes it's about disagreeing, or it's about highlighting how a different group's perception on a topic is very different, etc.

Finally, if the 'slagging' is quickly brushed aside by noting context then people can and should do that?

Why, because I'm the biggest coward or not a coward? :confused:

I post all over the soccer forum. My posts get quoted or referenced all over it (or on facebook apparently!). I'm a believer in you wrote it, you own it and once it's on a public forum it's fair game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Surely to have these conversations behind your back where you are unlikely to see them is actually a kindness ?

I know I have seen a point made in a UTD thread about Liverpool which I would like to discuss more but do not feel it warrants taking up the UTD thread ,how would you police what is there to mock and what is there to discuss

Well, I disagree with you, but that's no surprise.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Why, because I'm the biggest coward or not a coward? :confused:
    I'm sad that you think I'd call you a coward, frankly.

But have you engaged in such behaviour?

I'm of the opinion that going behind someone's back in that forum, when the very fact that fans of different teams are all posting together and that is pretty much the poster boy for why we don't have team specific forums, is cowardly behaviour.

Doing it to get a laugh or "look at stoopid" is pretty low tbh, why not engage in the thread where it was posted? Should the person being quoted not get at least a chance to defend their position? Or are we at the stage where one group of fans is allowed to ridicule a posters post without them knowing, in an open forum. Should I read every thread to make sure someone isn't doing just that right now? Then, who decides what is "stupid" - the group doing the cowardly act? The mods, Cmods or Admins - would you trust them to?

I'm not talking about private forums (ie the mod/admin forum where posters are discussed, or off-site forums, ie Team Specific forums, one of which I am aware of that ridicules Boards.ie Soccer Posters quite regularly, no, I won't link) - I am talking specifically about fans in one Superthread being cowards and instead of engaging with something they find objectionable on one thread they just quote it elsewhere, have a bit of a derp over it and never actually engage.
    I post all over the soccer forum.
    You do, some don't.
    My posts get quoted or referenced all over it (or on facebook apparently!).
    Well that's very creepy.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

a lot of this just seems to be a roundabout Liverpool vs. Utd thing that has spilled into a completely different forum.
    Ignore the lowbrow the stuff and the forum is more enjoyable. The Panda thing? just seemed like a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I think this pretty much sums up the problem with the soccer forum in general. No amount of moderation can instil a sense of decency, fairness or mutual respect in those who'd rather hate and antagonise.

That's it.

If the "don't be a díck rule" was enforced more often you'd have less people who, well, act the díck.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well, I disagree with you, but that's no surprise.

I'm sad that you think I'd call you a coward, frankly.

But have you engaged in such behaviour?

I'm of the opinion that going behind someone's back in that forum, when the very fact that fans of different teams are all posting together and that is pretty much the poster boy for why we don't have team specific forums, is cowardly behaviour.

Doing it to get a laugh or "look at stoopid" is pretty low tbh, why not engage in the thread where it was posted? Should the person being quoted not get at least a chance to defend their position? Or are we at the stage where one group of fans is allowed to ridicule a posters post without them knowing, in an open forum. Should I read every thread to make sure someone isn't doing just that right now? Then, who decides what is "stupid" - the group doing the cowardly act? The mods, Cmods or Admins - would you trust them to?

I'm not talking about private forums (ie the mod/admin forum where posters are discussed, or off-site forums, ie Team Specific forums, one of which I am aware of that ridicules Boards.ie Soccer Posters quite regularly, no, I won't link) - I am talking specifically about fans in one Superthread being cowards and instead of engaging with something they find objectionable on one thread they just quote it elsewhere, have a bit of a derp over it and never actually engage.

You do, some don't.

Well that's very creepy.

VERY strange anyway I'll say that much.

Okay, I see your point. I suppose I believe it's very easy to search for posts you've been quoted in and, as someone who noses around a lot of the forum, I reckon you'd naturally pick up on these things.

Have I engaged in the behaviour? I generally quote posts I want to talk about as I see them but in a freewheeling forum on interrelated topics that aren't time limited I'm sure it's possible that I've disagreed with posts before and the author hasn't seen my disagreement. Not that I was hoping they wouldn't or hiding from them, which I think is the spirit of what you have issue with.

I've never searched for posts where I've been quoted.

Is that not a bit narcissistic? "Who's talking about me" - heh, all I know is that I've never done it.

Yep. I quote posts too, but I never quote a post, then click into another thread and post that quote and then talk about it - that's just a weird way to go about things, no?

I mean I post a lot in the forum about beer, but I'd never pick a beer post then go into the wine thread and start slating some guy for drinking Carling - why would I? I wouldn't expect the wine buffs to care, nor would I expect the Carling drinker to be reading the wine thread, so it's a bit of a strange thing to do.

I've never searched for posts where I've been quoted.

Is that not a bit narcissistic? "Who's talking about me" - heh, all I know is that I've never done it.

Yep. I quote posts too, but I never quote a post, then click into another thread and post that quote and then talk about it - that's just a weird way to go about things, no?

I mean I post a lot in the forum about beer, but I'd never pick a beer post then go into the wine thread and start slating some guy for drinking Carling - why would I? I wouldn't expect the wine buffs to care, nor would I expect the Carling drinker to be reading the wine thread, so it's a bit of a strange thing to do.

Sounds like you have the hump about someone but won't spit it out!

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have the hump about someone but won't spit it out!

nope, I gave up having the hump about anyone on the SF a long time ago. There are still one or two people who I'll never respect, and I'm sure they are losing sleep over some guy they never met not respecting them. It's pointless.

Anyway, I don't post there even 10% of what I used to, and I hardly recognise any of the re-regs anymore, so I don't even know who's who in there.

I read threads, but the two big EPL Superthreads are unreadable, and match threads are fast disappearing up their own holes, with mods unable or unwilling to engage low level trolls - I've been banging that drum since I was a mod myself, and as far as I can see there is no real want or need for HQ to tackle that particular issue, not staffers, not Admins, not CMods. It seems to me that as long as a poster is skirting the rules and creating content by riling others then it's A-OK. That's my own personal opinion though, and I've been told before that that's not the case. I just don't believe it.

As I stated earlier in this thread, the real issues affecting the SF are never going to be adequately addressed, because it's beyond the mods remit - if the DO start tacklinglow-level trolls it becomes a pain in the face, and higher ups insist on seeing "proof" or a body of evidence before they'll back a mod sanctioning someone for low level trolling.

It gets to the point where a re-reg troll knows how to play the game, never get infracted or carded, which means that when a mod finally snaps and bans them, the mod is left without a leg to stand on in the "investigation" and then there is just no point in issuing a ban in the first place.

It's a game, and the trolls hold all the cards. Nobody who is supposed to be on the side of the mods is willing to slip them an ace, instead they prefer to protect the content creators.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I don't recall ever seeing any quote that refernces Baldy in any thread I've read that wasn'y native to that thread. Maybe in the match threads it might have happened but I think the match threads are unique due to their traits.
    These traits would be the possible input of posters from more than one superthread and the temporary nature of the threads due to their connection to a specific match.

The issue that Baldy is talking about has happened to be before, where I jokingly referred to Liverpool's possibility of regaining a 3ppg average if we beat Spurs by 10 gaols or some such nonsense.
    It was picked up by a Utd supporter - or I assume the poster was such a follower due to their username and tenancy to post in the Utd thread - and posted in the Utd thread. The post was not exactly referring to me in glowing terms and missed the joke but it did not bother me that it happened and I really don't see how it could bother anyone.
    I don't see how it is sneaky to quote or paraphase someone in another thread, as long as it's not down right aggressive.

I have to ask Baldy, are you talking about the 'Match of the Day' references? That's the only item that I can recall that is remotely related to you that is posted in the Liverpool thread - and with less and less frequency - and did you not originally post that in the thread after a Liverpool loss?
    Most of the joking I see in the soccer forum is of a good and jovial nature and should not be taking in any other way. And the quoting that I'm aware of is harmless and has no hidden agenda.

• Advertisement

I definately agree with you about the re-regs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement