Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Soccer Forum

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Is that not a bit narcissistic? .

Lets see
    Hypersensitivity to any insults or imagined insults
    Haughty body language
    Flattery towards people who admire and affirm them
    Detesting those who do not admire them
    Pretending to be more important than they really are
    Bragging and exaggerating their achievements
    Claiming to be an "expert" at many things
    Inability to view the world from the perspective of other people

I dont know maybe ?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Nope, it's not that.

It's halfwits in superthreads thinking they are the bigman by quoting out of context posts and saying "hurdehur look at this derp" without the balls to directly confront the post they are quoting within the context in which it was originally posted.

If I post in Thread X - I may never read Thread Y, meanwhile some utter tramp is slagging me off in Thread Y, without my knowledge, without giving me a chance to back-up my point that he disagrees with, instead he posts somewhere else, like a coward, knowing I'm unlikely to see it, and he and his little tramp chums can laugh it up. Backslapping away like the sad bastards they are.

LOL 'like a coward'

aint you the same Baldy Conscience that called a poster a lier about accusing you of posting something you said you did not, only for you not to realise that the same said post had been quoted (before you deleted it) thus making you look really foolish??

Ohh and you too hadn't got the balls to stay around and face the music, or reply to the ultimate bizarre lies being spouted.

I swear that's twice now posters have come in this thread riding on high horses only to forget that everything they post is available for scrutiny and review.

Laugh out ****ing loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

nope, I gave up having the hump about anyone on the SF a long time ago. There are still one or two people who I'll never respect, and I'm sure they are losing sleep over some guy they never met not respecting them. It's pointless.

Anyway, I don't post there even 10% of what I used to, and I hardly recognise any of the re-regs anymore, so I don't even know who's who in there.

I read threads, but the two big EPL Superthreads are unreadable, and match threads are fast disappearing up their own holes, with mods unable or unwilling to engage low level trolls - I've been banging that drum since I was a mod myself, and as far as I can see there is no real want or need for HQ to tackle that particular issue, not staffers, not Admins, not CMods. It seems to me that as long as a poster is skirting the rules and creating content by riling others then it's A-OK. That's my own personal opinion though, and I've been told before that that's not the case. I just don't believe it.

As I stated earlier in this thread, the real issues affecting the SF are never going to be adequately addressed, because it's beyond the mods remit - if the DO start tacklinglow-level trolls it becomes a pain in the face, and higher ups insist on seeing "proof" or a body of evidence before they'll back a mod sanctioning someone for low level trolling.

It gets to the point where a re-reg troll knows how to play the game, never get infracted or carded, which means that when a mod finally snaps and bans them, the mod is left without a leg to stand on in the "investigation" and then there is just no point in issuing a ban in the first place.

It's a game, and the trolls hold all the cards. Nobody who is supposed to be on the side of the mods is willing to slip them an ace, instead they prefer to protect the content creators.

You're blowing the whole thing out of proportion imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I don't recall ever seeing any quote that refernces Baldy in any thread I've read that wasn'y native to that thread. Maybe in the match threads it might have happened but I think the match threads are unique due to their traits.
    These traits would be the possible input of posters from more than one superthread and the temporary nature of the threads due to their connection to a specific match.

The issue that Baldy is talking about has happened to be before, where I jokingly referred to Liverpool's possibility of regaining a 3ppg average if we beat Spurs by 10 gaols or some such nonsense.
    It was picked up by a Utd supporter - or I assume the poster was such a follower due to their username and tenancy to post in the Utd thread - and posted in the Utd thread. The post was not exactly referring to me in glowing terms and missed the joke but it did not bother me that it happened and I really don't see how it could bother anyone.
    I don't see how it is sneaky to quote or paraphase someone in another thread, as long as it's not down right aggressive.

I have to ask Baldy, are you talking about the 'Match of the Day' references? That's the only item that I can recall that is remotely related to you that is posted in the Liverpool thread - and with less and less frequency - and did you not originally post that in the thread after a Liverpool loss?
    Most of the joking I see in the soccer forum is of a good and jovial nature and should not be taking in any other way. And the quoting that I'm aware of is harmless and has no hidden agenda.
    :confused:

I never said it happened to me.

I'm not claiming I was affected by this issue at all, just that it happens.

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    LOL 'like a coward'

aint you the same Baldy Conscience that called a poster a lier about accusing you of posting something you said you did not, only for you not to realise that the sam%e said post had been quoted (before you deleted it) thus making you look really foolish??

Ohh and you too hadn't got the balls to stay around and face the music, or reply to the ultimate bizarre lies being spouted.

I swear that's twice now posters have come in this thread riding on high horses only to forget that everything they post is available for scrutiny and review.

Laugh out ****ing loud.

Look, I actually apologised after that incident as it happens, but fair play on remembering 95% of it, it had completely slipped my mind til you brought it up.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

What's with this private forum where everyone gets slated, or used to, and why is it/was it OK there, but not OK in a public forum where everyone can see it?

Am I seeing a double standard where there shouldn't be one? Could easily be the case, as prior to a few months ago I rarely looked outside of the LFC thread. Doesn't read that way, though.

Certainly seems to be a bit of politics in the forum, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Look, I actually apologised after that incident as it happens, but fair play on remembering 95% of it, it had completely slipped my mind til you brought it up.

:)

I don't remember an apology but fair play for acknowledging it.

darced wrote: »
    Are you not the same aguerooo that posted a lie about me on the liverpool thread and when I sent you a civilised PM explaining the situation you ignored it and left the post up.

link the OP please and yes I got your PM but it didn't ask anything but just stated more of the same.

Your post implies I am a hypocrite which is unfair seeing only you and I were interacting then.

Is that what you are implying?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What the soccer forum needs least is more rules. What it needs most is sensible application of fewer, better rules that allow the root of most of the trouble to be banned quicker. It's a very hard balance to achieve, I will admit, with lots of judgement calls which can be tricky with so many mods of varying styles and certainly won't keep everyone happy either, but I'd prefer that approach to be tried rather than the black and white application of rules like the player/manager/non posters abuse rule that is being applied often very much against the spirit of the original rule.

As rarnes1 put it though, essentially lots of modding tasks boil down to the boards unofficial motto of don't be a dick.

darced wrote: »
    You posted the lie in the superthread how is that only you and I interacting? you got your dig in and left it there after I PM'd you to say you were wrong.

I would say you are indeed being hypocritical.

Again please link the post in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

:confused:

I never said it happened to me.

I'm not claiming I was affected by this issue at all, just that it happens.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I don't recall ever seeing any quote that refernces Baldy in any thread I've read that wasn'y native to that thread. Maybe in the match threads it might have happened but I think the match threads are unique due to their traits.
    These traits would be the possible input of posters from more than one superthread and the temporary nature of the threads due to their connection to a specific match.

The issue that Baldy is talking about has happened to be before, where I jokingly referred to Liverpool's possibility of regaining a 3ppg average if we beat Spurs by 10 gaols or some such nonsense.
    It was picked up by a Utd supporter - or I assume the poster was such a follower due to their username and tenancy to post in the Utd thread - and posted in the Utd thread. The post was not exactly referring to me in glowing terms and missed the joke but it did not bother me that it happened and I really don't see how it could bother anyone.
    I don't see how it is sneaky to quote or paraphase someone in another thread, as long as it's not down right aggressive.

I have to ask Baldy, are you talking about the 'Match of the Day' references? That's the only item that I can recall that is remotely related to you that is posted in the Liverpool thread - and with less and less frequency - and did you not originally post that in the thread after a Liverpool loss?
    Most of the joking I see in the soccer forum is of a good and jovial nature and should not be taking in any other way. And the quoting that I'm aware of is harmless and has no hidden agenda.

I would put money on it that said post was thanked by the poster who has such a big issue with cross thread quoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I thought it was a bit heavy handed closing the thread because of the gifs.

They could have just been deleted and everyone told to stop the spamming, and it was spamming towards the end, hell even i posted a couple.

You guys made this difficult for yourselves this time.

In reference to starting a SF feedback thread, i always believed there is no such thing as a good or bad time to start one. It should be put to a vote among the posters on the SF and nobody else. Mods get to have their say when things are going wrong anytime they like, but the ordinary Joe Soap member isn't offered the same choice.

I would be an advocate of feedback threads running all the time so issues can be addressed as they arise and not let fester. BTW i hold this opinion for all of the forums on Boards.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I would be an advocate of feedback threads running all the time so issues can be addressed as they arise and not let fester.
    Well if that approach was adopted I can guarantee that I would step back immediately as a CMod. The Soccer forum is difficult enough to deal with - give those posters who have an agenda the opportunity to feedback in the way some have done on this thread on an ongoing basis and no-one will ever know where the forum currently stands

The Soccer Forum is by a country mile the most difficult Sports forum to mod as it is. It's the only Sports forum that commits regularly to feedback threads (every close season) and each of those provides more grief than the mods should have to put up with

Bottom line is there is always a number of "regulars" in the forum who always have a number of things they want to whinge about. On the other side there are far more regulars in the forum that we hardly ever hear a murmer from

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I thanked that post for this line

You have used this thread to try and grovel your way out of a forum ban.
    You don't take any responsibility for anything, it's always someone else's fault and there's always someone else that should be banned/infracted instead of you.

I'm on this site to discuss soccer and that's what I do for the most part.
    The arrogance of you to think that regardless of your behaviour you deserve to be allowed to post before me or anyone else because you think your posting more important is astounding.

I called him your pal as I'd put you's two under the same umbrella. You know what I think of you and your opinion. I know what you think of me and my opinion. My opinion on BMNC is now crystal clear too. I could say the same for one or two of those who thanked your post too, tbh, but you only thanked his post originally.

I've asked for clarification on similar words in relation to the word prat. Yeah, I think my yellow card was harsh if you apply context to it. I'll be missing a critical part of the season including Liverpool's run in and Borussia Dortmund's Pokal Cup Final over the a remark I didn't think much of and was meant in a light hearted salty manner after he opted for Chelsea's bench.
    I was actually happy he put in a MOTM performance against Swansea on Sunday as shuts the haters up somewhat.

If calling a player a prat is a yellow card, then so is calling a player an idiot or eejit. I don't wish for this, but fair is fair one would think since context doesn't matter.

As for the discussing football part. Your entire schtick is highlighting Liverpool FC, their fans and the posters here in a negative manner. Talking football? I've rarely seen it, and I certainly don't believe for one moment as someone who regularly posts you have any interest in the Bundesliga thread just to use an example between you and I, you just wanted to have a pop at me for the sake of it without even quizzing me on my annoyance. By all means, say differently though. If you must know, I had an Arsenal supporting friend IRL comment on Twitter about how they should bid 50M on Reus, Gundogan and Hummels, and get Klopp too in the summer.

As for arrogance. Nah. Just calling it how I see it as all. My backlog of posts on the soccer forum stands up to my what I've been saying. People might disagree with my opinion, but they can't say I don't love football and discussing it. I've had good conversations in most threads, but for really anything LOI or SPL related as neither really interest me. I'm of the opinion a posters history, not just negatively, but positively should count for something. With some moderators, it's the negative part that's highlighted entirely.
    5starpool wrote: »
    What the soccer forum needs least is more rules. What it needs most is sensible application of fewer, better rules that allow the root of most of the trouble to be banned quicker. It's a very hard balance to achieve, I will admit, with lots of judgement calls which can be tricky with so many mods of varying styles and certainly won't keep everyone happy either, but I'd prefer that approach to be tried rather than the black and white application of rules like the player/manager/non posters abuse rule that is being applied often very much against the spirit of the original rule.

As rarnes1 put it though, essentially lots of modding tasks boil down to the boards unofficial motto of don't be a dick.

Good post. It'll never happen though.

I thought people who were banned from a forum weren't allowed to give feedback on said forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

There's real 'I've a high post-count, therefore the rules shouldn't apply to me' vibe from some of the contributions to this thread.

My sympathies most definitely favour the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I thought people who were banned from a forum weren't allowed to give feedback on said forum?

I think it's just starting a feedback thread that's not allowed.

Could be wrong though....:o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

padd b1975 wrote: »
    There's real 'I've a high post-count, therefore the rules shouldn't apply to me' vibe from some of the contributions to this thread.

My sympathies most definitely favour the mods.

The amount of people who are more interested in their own personal agendas and 'one-upping' each other rather than the issues raised in the OP is staggering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I called him your pal as I'd put you's two under the same umbrella. You know what I think of you and your opinion. I know what you think of me and my opinion. My opinion on BMNC is now crystal clear too. I could say the same for one or two of those who thanked your post too, tbh, but you only thanked his post originally.

I've asked for clarification on similar words in relation to the word prat. Yeah, I think my yellow card was harsh if you apply context to it. I'll be missing a critical part of the season including Liverpool's run in and Borussia Dortmund's Pokal Cup Final over the a remark I didn't think much of and was meant in a light hearted salty manner after he opted for Chelsea's bench.
    I was actually happy he put in a MOTM performance against Swansea on Sunday as shuts the haters up somewhat.

If calling a player a prat is a yellow card, then so is calling a player an idiot or eejit. I don't wish for this, but fair is fair one would think since context doesn't matter.

As for the discussing football part. Your entire schtick is highlighting Liverpool FC, their fans and the posters here in a negative manner. Talking football? I've rarely seen it, and I certainly don't believe for one moment as someone who regularly posts you have any interest in the Bundesliga thread just to use an example between you and I, you just wanted to have a pop at me for the sake of it without even quizzing me on my annoyance. By all means, say differently though. If you must know, I had an Arsenal supporting friend IRL comment on Twitter about how they should bid 50M on Reus, Gundogan and Hummels, and get Klopp too in the summer.

As for arrogance. Nah. Just calling it how I see it as all. My backlog of posts on the soccer forum stands up to my what I've been saying. People might disagree with my opinion, but they can't say I don't love football and discussing it. I've had good conversations in most threads, but for really anything LOI or SPL related as neither really interest me. I'm of the opinion a posters history, not just negatively, but positively should count for something. With some moderators, it's the negative part that's highlighted entirely.

Even now you're still trying to plead your case in this thread.
    I'm not here to live up to your expectations of a poster, you keep banging on about what other people bring to the soccer forum, nobody has to bring anything. I use it to get information and give opinion, some people value my opinion, many don't, I can live with that.

Have I been a dick in the past? Yes and was dealt with appropriately. Have I had a go at the team you support? Yes, it's what happens across the forum all the time.
    I don't personally abuse anybody or send nasty PM's or anything like that. I don't single out individuals to make fun of on a continuing basis.

You can keep "calling me out" on how bad my posting is and how I offer nothing to the soccer forum all you like. As I said, I'm not here to live up to your expectations.
    I enjoy the forum for what it is, there's a few posters that I argue with regularly, I'm argumentative by nature but it's just football. If I was to meet them I'd like to think we would get on despite that. I assure you, I'm far from being a bit of a dick in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Now that the issues in the OP are largely addressed, the last couple of pages are exactly the type of stuff that goes on in the soccer forum that makes it a chore to read at times, a dick measuring contest tbh.

I don't think there is that much that can be done because this type of petty shyte is par for the course in fan bases. Somebody makes a dig at United/Liverpool or whoever and some rival fan just can't resist getting a "witty" dig back in, and I'm not pleading innocence in that regard either.

I think it's a good forum over all, some good users and "banter". If people want to ban quoting users in other threads I'd go the whole hog, stop general swipes at discussions in rival threads. The "say nothing or them lot will be in" thanks whoring shyte. It's a boards for fans of all teams in leagues, if you can't handle that maybe the problem isn't "them"..

A harder line on the obvious re-reg or wind up "controversial" posters would sort most of it out, and there isn't that many of them anyway. When you've somebody like opr getting long term bans, and idiots purposefully derailing threads getting away with it, something is wrong. It's easy saying ignore them, in big volume threads in soccer somebody will respond and away we go.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

imagine if you will the long-scarfed Trinity English literature student that sits in Dunkin' Donuts with a multi-bookmarked and yet suspiciously not-creased copy of Ulysses on the table before him as he sighs as an outward expression of his inner artistic angst at the irony of his self professed towering intellect ("genius? well, I wouldn't use that word exactly....") being reduced to actually liking a Boston Kreme.......

that feeling you have while picturing such an individual is the feeling I get reading through this thread.

Locked while I review. There are issues raised here that the soccer mods will deal with but then there's issues and posts here that are just out of order and the posters should know better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement