Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Soccer Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

The modding in the SF is a joke tbh. So inconsistent and looks like its agenda driven. Personally, I haven't been infracted in a while but I've seen some cards and bans handed out for very very little and then other times there's obvious trolls looking for a rise and nothing. The banning of the pandas is so pointless, why even bother banning it? It's just the straw that broke the camels back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

What does panda gifs add to football debate? Just breeds cliquish and clannish behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

It will not be long before the Soccer forum feedback thread appears where all members of the soccer forum can air their views and suggest improvements or changes. I cannot see any issue with a feedback thread and if it were posted without calling out specific instances of moderation and calling them ridiculous then I am not against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Two questions I have:

1. Does a post have to be reported to be acted on?

2. Why do some mods delete inappropraite posts while others card people for them?

Neither are a pop at moderation but genuinely interested to know

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Plenty of good has come from threads in feedback. The most recent one I can think of off the top of my head is the crackdown on rape and sexist jokes in AH, after a long, fairly heated feedback thread.

But if (I haven't noseyed in the Soccer forum for months) the assertion that the OP is deliberately misrepresenting points is correct, it can make it more difficult to take everything that's said seriously, even if the points have merit.

The OP relates to the issue of Panda .gifs being prohibited and their posting being currently adjudged as a card on site by the soccer mod team. The warning I received for a post which contained a link to this feedback thread (post is now deleted) and the reasons for that warning should not be discussed here and will be dealt with via the DRP process.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Specific cases are not going to be allowed to be discussed here, which is fair enough, but on the topic at hand, things like panda gifs/pics are just really harmless fun, and this is the type of clampdown that just breed stupider rules and get people infracted or banned for their own reactions to being powerless to discuss or argue things.

I can see one of 2 outcomes here.

1. Sense prevails and as long as they are not linked to talking about other posters or breaking other rules, mods decide that there is no harm in things like this.
    2. There is an overadjustment and all off topic gifs, references, discussions, etc are banned from superthreads hwich breeds resentment, leads to bans/infractions being handed out, but eventually normality returns and we go back more or less to where we were anyhow, but minus some posters.

I know which option is more palatable to me. The third option I didn;t mention of course is an admin locking saying this isn't to be discussed here.

Liam O wrote: »
    The Panda banning I think is excessive, nothing overly malicious about it. Though I think an issue was that they were being used in response to posts about BNMC. A group of posters going into match threads with an agenda (while some do take it in the light hearted nature it's intended and only do it in Liverpool's threads) that spreads into other team's match threads is ridiculous. For all the moaning ye all do about BNMC there's a group of Liverpool fans doing similar things all season, and indeed last season in every United thread. A mod tried to stop it and a group of people ignored it and acted like spoilt kids. Only when it was locked and reopened was there some order to it.

He's one of the worst from any of the SF regular posters this season, though. He not only posts bile about LFC in the SF but in AH as well which is going to extreme's. How he hasn't seen a lengthy ban before today is mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The sad thing is, the pandas were only a fad and would have died by today I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

efb wrote: »
    What does panda gifs add to football debate? Just breeds cliquish and clannish behaviour

What does talking about footballers looks add to football debate? Not trying to have a go here but a lot of the stuff posted in SF is bollix and that's why it can be a great place to post.

Why do WWE gifs add to football debate?

You will never have universal consensus on the comedic merits of anything. Maybe the outcome of this will be a strict no gifs policy on the forum, but that would seem to be unneccesary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

hefferboi wrote: »
    The modding in the SF is a joke tbh. So inconsistent and looks like its agenda driven. Personally, I haven't been infracted in a while but I've seen some cards and bans handed out for very very little and then other times there's obvious trolls looking for a rise and nothing. The banning of the pandas is so pointless, why even bother banning it? It's just the straw that broke the camels back.

I actually didn't mind banning the Panda gifs from the match thread, as there are City fans/posters, and neutrals, etc, who want to enjoy that thread who would have been extremely lost as to what was going on.

Banning the calling of oneself a sap, was the straw for me. I never thought I'd have to write a sentence like that either. Surreal.

It shows the good natured humour of our thread, that someone called us match thread saps once, and we took it as a laugh and used it as some kind of badge of honour. We had been regularly joking about it for weeks, and then suddenly, a mod who didn't understand the reference/joke, decided they didn't like it so they would put it in bold not to do it, and that was that.

Seems a little silly to go down the route of then banning specific types of animal featuring gifs in the LFC thread. Utterly bizarre, and you can't honestly make me believe that someone thinks that this is a plausible route to go down. The only way to moderate it would be an all or nothing approach.

Either no images allowed (ridiculous option, really), or let it be as is. NSFW gifs being banned is obviously not something I'd dispute. That's spot on.

It's a bit of craic. Not every post has to be a serious debate about football related matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The match thread was ridiculous before it got locked. Childish nonsense and nothing to do with football.
    There is leeway shown in club specific threads for that kind of thing, spoiling a thread for a game of that magnitude, where the rest of the forum would be involved and not privy to in-jokes is a different story.

I think the soccer forum has got out of hand lately and badly needs its own feedback thread sooner rather than later.
    I've discussed it with a Cmod already and was told it might be late this year due to the World Cup, I'd hope this is reconsidered.

The match thread was ridiculous before it got locked. Childish nonsense and nothing to do with football.
    There is leeway shown in club specific threads for that kind of thing, spoiling a thread for a game of that magnitude, where the rest of the forum would be involved and not privy to in-jokes is a different story.

I think the soccer forum has got out of hand lately and badly needs its own feedback thread sooner rather than later.
    I've discussed it with a Cmod already and was told it might be late this year due to the World Cup, I'd hope this is reconsidered.

Said much of the above in my own post.

I do think the carding, instead of just a warning by PM, or whatever, was excessive for the nature of the posts, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

hefferboi wrote: »
    He's one of the worst from any of the SF regular posters this season, though. He not only posts bile about LFC in the SF but in AH as well which is going to extreme's. How he hasn't seen a lengthy ban before today is mind boggling.

I agree actually, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of Liverpool (and probably some other United) fans have been doing similar for years, for some reason now, even some of the people who do it in United threads suddenly see it for the problem that it is in that it just gets people banned for complaining about the baiting and crap that they post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Is it cos Pandas are black?

Well, mainly black.

Liam O wrote: »
    I agree actually, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of Liverpool (and probably some other United) fans have been doing similar for years, for some reason now, even some of the people who do it in United threads suddenly see it for the problem that it is in that it just gets people banned for complaining about the baiting and crap that they post.

The issue here lies with reviewing incidents on a singular post merit, and not a body of work.

Allows obvious wind ups to hide behind the charter, and then any questioning of said posters, or referencing them, results in overall respectable posters getting the infractions.

I think a lot of the frustration among the forum stems from this, really. Mods aren't allowed use common sense, and say, "Look, you haven't strictly broken one of the rules, but you're being an obvious dick, and you have many deliberately provocative posts to show for it".

Their hands, I believe, are somewhat tied in this regard, and the Forum won't improve until its changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭captainkeg

Lads, some of ye have been here before and ye know the answer.

3 little words,

Irish Poker Soccer Boards

PS scary how much a little sniff of power (however pathetically small) can tip some people over the edge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can I just say absolutely HATE repeat HATE gifs with a passion you people could hardly believe - they slow down my interweb and clog up the browser like crazy.

I'd like to see them banned outright for good on the football forum.

yours, in exile.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

mike65 wrote: »
    Can I just say absolutely HATE repeat HATE gifs with a passion you people could hardly believe - they slow down my interweb and clog up the browser like crazy.

yours, in exile.

Ism't there a way to turn them off for a user or did I dream that?

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

yours, in exile.

What's your dial up at these days Mike? :pac:

I'm not a fan of the Panda stuff myself, and good .gif posting is a nuanced art that escapes most who turn their hands to it. But this is about consistency of policy and figuring out how to deal with stuff like this without resorting to card on site nonsense.

It's an in joke and cliquish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I actually thought the LFC thread was mighty craic over the past few weeks, probably the best since I've joined Boards. Obviously, the uplift in on pitch fortunes has helped this.

But I do think that 99.999999% of stuff that was posted was not malicious and just harmless craic, whether it was panda gifs or whatever. It's hard to keep the thread 100% on topic when there's such excitement and a full week between games. A week these days feels like a year, and an auld panda/wrestling gif just lightens the mood from time to time.

P.S. Somebody spare a thought for the Pandas in all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I'd like to see no modding in the soccer forum. Just a big free for all of slagging and off topic discussion.

WE ARE LIVERPOOL TRA LA LA LA LA!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Can mods be infracted as with regular posters?

Yup they sure can.

Ive being carded on recently for calling out Ramires tackle against Villa.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89476902&postcount=153

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

rarnes1 wrote: »

There is but its involves a cunning script of some sort if I recall and therefore
    a script host and that has to be integrated into the browser and ah forget it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

rarnes1 wrote: »

I think if a user optioned to turn off .gifs they wouldn't be able to see any images

It's an in joke and cliquish

Are you suggesting that super thread regulars shouldn't be allowed to develop certain injokes? All of the long term threads have regulars who will spend a lot of time talking amongst each other. If they decide that posting pictures of tin cans is hilarious for a couple of days should it really be clamped down on by the moderation team?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The soccer forum is not just a soccer debate. The forum as a whole, and the team threads in particular, is a community where all sorts of football discussion goes on. People tell jokes and have ongoing jokes. Gifs and pics are a part of that.

I could see why the panda gifs were banned from the match thread the other night. They were clogging it up. And it looked like it was possibly the case that those pictures were being spammed to prevent discussion, discussion that the LFC fans thought was trolling. So banning that joke, in that thread, at that time made sense. But in the team super thread, where Liverpool fans are getting giddy about their season that is not what is happening. It's just excited fans sharing a joke.

I think what is happening here is that a badly worded rule is being misused.

This is the rule:
    Gifs that only serve a purpose to inflame or drag a thread off topic or otherwise do not contribute to a thread will be removed, if it is considered that the only purpose of that gif was to further inflame an argument, then the poster may receive a warning for it. (ie Michael Jackson/Popcorn gif/pictures)

From what I remember this rule was introduced after forum feedback where posters complained about the popcorn gifs that were getting posted at the start of every contentious thread. Posters asked for them to be banned, the new rule did far more than that. Now the new rule is being used for something completely different.

• Advertisement

Tbf I wasn't talking about the super thread thing, I was talking match forum, super threads are different explains how I didn't get the joke

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement