Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Soccer Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, if we could get Lloyd's post above sorted, I think we'd accept closing this matter off until the Feedback thread is created prior to the World Cup.

I think we know that we can't asses every gripe and issue brought forth right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I have to agree that although not mentioned in the OP the fact that a group on the members of the LFC thread cannot refer to themselves as " Match thread saps " is pushing things.

Who is offended if Knex or OwayneOTT call each other saps ? They're certainly not.

I read the LFC thread for a long time before I joined the Soccer Forum and I like anyone else could see that the humour in the thread can be fairly surreal but for the most part, the members of the thread enjoy the humour.

Whats wrong with a group of like minded individuals giving themselves a funny little name.
    After all that's all it was. A funny little name that a group of "friends" decided to call themselves.

Also people claiming that the .gifs and "saps " thing is clannish and clique forming. What the hell do you think that terrace songs are ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Maybe each club should be given an off topic thread?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Beasty wrote: »
    OK to clear this one up I deleted the Mod's post. I also carded him for that post. I did not consider it appropriate to leave what was essentially a bad example to others up in thread. I would add that going back the the match thread that kicked all this off, getting on for 50 posts have been deleted by the local mods. While sometimes it may be appropriate to leave such posts up to show others what is not acceptable, they also can destroy the flow of a thread. Whether posts are deleted or left up is generally a mod discretion issue, but in my view is most certainly not a "major" issue

Sorry, but given what happened earlier in the day to myself and perhaps others, this just screams protect the moderator. A bad example? Pfft. If you's really want to show there was no bias in play, you'd have infracted him and left the post up instead of deleting it.

In saying that, and Gav knows how I feel about it given our discussion via PM last night, I don't believe he should be warned/yellow carded. Some context applied is needed which many moderators across the board are incapable of factoring in. He's ripping on his own team's player. Sure, yesterday's game if someone said he played like a prat/idiot/eejit, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid given the context of the comment and poster history.

If you're going to make the word prat yellow card warning, you have to make the word idiot and eejit a yellow card warning offence too from here on in, otherwise everything I've said about my one warning and in turn ban for a culmination of yellow cards is spot on. Trigger happy modding. I'd argue it was more than that, it was calculated and seen as a chance of getting rid of me, despite there being far and away worse posters who add nothing to the soccer forum in terms of constructive football discussion whatsoever. Sure, one or two have already posted here.

Looking further elsewhere, I just searched the word scum and scumbag this morning. There are over 1300+ and 1500+ examples of the words being used respectively in the soccer forum. I challenged the moderator to check it out and asked him why have so many people got away with calling x player scum/scumbag, only for him to ramble on about me having to giving him examples at the time when a 5 second search via the search feature could show him everything, all the while knowing full well me being banned I can't see the forum without signing offline which is hassle for me, before proceeding to give some woeful, and I have little doubt insincere blessing on my future as a poster off this site and my team (Liverpool) winning yesterday.

It's not just the soccer forum though. Have a look at the Spurs Supporters forum where calling Chelsea - Chelski and using the terms scum/scumbag is allowed, if not worse words. I realise the Spurs Supporters forum might be a grey area, but it's under the same topic as far as I am concerned.
    Given his posting history in general, and with regards to the word he used, I find it farcical Luckycharms was given a yellow card for using the word once.
    But then again, very much unsurprising given the nature of modding towards Liverpool fans in general.

The soccer forum - where calling someone a footballer a prat (idiot) for missing a very simple chance is a warning offence, all the while having sly digs at Hillsborough are mostly, if not totally ignored.

Raf32 wrote: »

Ah no, that would be insane. The main threads has leeway with that, whereas match threads, understandably, don't.

It would be stripping the character from the Super Thread, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Knex. wrote: »
    This interests plenty more than just Liverpool fans on this forum, and there are United supporters already contributing constructively to the thread.

Perhaps rather than guessing, you could read the thread and contribute in a helpful manner, as did they?

There is nothing more to contribute tbh, the mods have already said nobody got a warning for posting a panda in the superthreads and spamming matchday threads with silly images is not on.

Raf32 wrote: »

Nah. Some common sense should be applied from the moderators, and the posters who don't like the off topic talk should learn how to use the ignore function instead of crying about it as the vast majority of it is harmless. What's amusing about the off topic talk, at least in terms of the Liverpool thread is that the one or two fellow supporters who are complaining about it, their contribution to the Liverpool thread next to none, and there is a clear disdain from their end at a core of regular Liverpool supporters in the thread.

RasTa wrote: »
    There is nothing more to contribute tbh, the mods have already said nobody got a warning for posting a panda in the superthreads and spamming matchday threads with silly images is not on.

The issue that the thread was opened for has still clearly not been dealt with.

Although I will say that OPR getting perm banned is a joke.

It has nothing to do with his posting history or style, count his yellow cards and I'm sure there won't be many.

The real reason is whatever mod doesn't like him and he is abusing his power to get him banned which has happened in the past with mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That doesn't work though. You can't issue this warning while deleting a panda gif:

[Mod Hat]
    Feel free, that will get you an infraction though.

Cut out the Pandas, was on the match thread, same rule applies.
    [/Mod Hat]

And then say 'oh but no-one has got warned or banned for posting Panda gifs' as if that resolves the matter.

- the warning above either applies or it doesn't;
    - if it doesn't we need a clear understanding of why it doesn't while other off topic gifs and images can be posted;

You can't have this bizarre position of:

- we say don't post Panda gifs;
    - if you post Panda gifs we aren't banning you for that, it's because you failed to follow a moderator's instructions which is long term sitewide policy, etc;

It's a crude form of have your cake and eat it too modding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It has nothing to do with his posting history or style, count his yellow cards and I'm sure there won't be many.

The real reason is whatever mod doesn't like him and he is abusing his power to get him banned which has happened in the past with mods.

He called a mod a w*nker in a PM apparently. Standard 1 month ban afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Opr permabanned?

Sweet Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Unfortunately, it is inappropriate to talk about that here but it would seem mad that his fine long term contribution to the soccer forum wouldn't be considered and heavily weighed in terms of making a decision on whether to permenantly ban him from the forum no matter what he said to who in the heat of the moment on a specific disagreement.

He called a mod a w*nker in a PM apparently. Standard 1 month ban afaik.

He got perm banned from soccer for it.

Clear abuse of mod powers giving what it takes to get a perm ban usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Given that soccer fans tend to consume alcohol before and during matches, is it surprising that threads get heated, and, mods might make rash decisions?

Just a theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Oh right. I wasn't aware of that. That's a bit ridiculous in fairness.

Given that soccer fans tend to consume alcohol before and during matches, is it surprising that threads get heated, and, mods might make rash decisions?

Just a theory.

The fans drinking are rarely the problem :D

The match thread was closed on a Friday, for one thing. Game was on Sunday.

The fans drinking are rarely the problem :D

The match thread was closed on a Friday, for one thing. Game was on Sunday.

LOL

It's the not the first time the moderator who I assume you're talking about is being called up on his behaviour. I know from being friendly with a few of the regulars in the gambling thread back when I was moderator, he was complained about quite a bit.In saying that, there's more than a single agenda driven moderator, be it relation to club or individual posters across the site, let alone the soccer forum.

Some moderators are lazy and just want a bolded name tag, others will cling to their positions of power. Sometimes both go hand in hand. Others will play politics. A large part of the reason I stepped down from modding my three forums was because of that crap. I had asked for help a few times on one or two of the forums, it took so long to come by that I grew weary of the role and needed a break entirely. That was just the tipping point though.

fwiw I've no idea who the mod is nor should it matter but in order to get a perm ban do all the mods have to agree?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I did the banning (as is perfectly clear from the resultant appeal thread) and anyone attempting to do anything like that again will face the same treatment. I will not stand for posters hurling abuse at (in this case 2) mods (not that this appears in any way relevant to this thread)

I did the banning and anyone attempting to do anything like that again will face the same treatment. I will not stand for posters hurling abuse at (in this case 2) mods

Thought it was you alright.

Define hurling abuse? Also why it warrants a perm ban? Did you confirm with the mods if that is what they would like to happen or you made the decision by yourself?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thought it was you alright.

Define hurling abuse? Also why it warrants a perm ban? Did you confirm with the mods if that is what they would like to happen or you made the decision by yourself?
    I advised the local mods what I intended doing. Read the dispute thread if you need to know more (which included an explanation of how the poster could have potentially regained access after a lengthy ban)

Out of interest, if in his intial post, Opr had told me to **** off, rather than a moderator, would he still have received a red?

Perhaps that would have been the case, but if not, its a slippery slope if dealing with mods results in heavier actions than a "regular" poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Out of interest, if in his intial post, Opr had told me to **** off, rather than a moderator, would he still have received a red?

Perhaps that would have been the case, but if not, its a slippery slope if dealing with mods results in heavier actions than a "regular" poster.

Ah in fairness dealing with a mod SHOULD have higher consequences.

They're the ones giving up their free time to help run this place.

Dealing with me in the soccer forum, and telling me to fupp off is fine, cos i'm just a regular user. Dealing with me in the forum i moderate and telling me to fupp off is going to result in a banning.

Ah in fairness dealing with a mod SHOULD have higher consequences.

They're the ones giving up their free time to help run this place.

Dealing with me in the soccer forum, and telling me to fupp off is fine, cos i'm just a regular user. Dealing with me in the forum i moderate and telling me to fupp off is going to result in a banning.

Yeah, in hindsight, that's fair.

I suppose it was more the context of Opr's post where he preempted a good point with that, that made it seem less aggressive to me, I suppose. I expected him to get a yellow, not so much a red, considering his posting history. What he did after, by the sounds of things, over PM is fairly inexcusable however.

I advised the local mods what I intended doing. Read the dispute thread if you need to know more (which included an explanation of how the poster could have potentially regained access after a lengthy ban)

Yeah read it there. Not sure why it being in PM made it so harsh of a banning.

I could go into the soccer form and call a mod a wanker and **** off after an on thread warning and still be posting as I need 3 yellows I think to get a 2 week ban.

Don't get all the outrage over something said via PM compared to on the forums.

As far as I can tell, mods are effectively untouchable and rarely have their actions seriously reviewed, and will always back each other in the DRP forum, no matter what. Unless they do something horrendously bad, like seriously abuse their position.

But that's for another thread...

Yeah read it there. Not sure why it being in PM made it so harsh of a banning.

I could go into the soccer form and call a mod a wanker and **** off after an on thread warning and still be posting as I need 3 yellows I think to get a 2 week ban.

Don't get all the outrage over something said via PM compared to on the forums.

I don't see why they should take personal abuse. Even when they're wrong.

• Advertisement

What is the panda.thing about? That they lay around and eat **** all day without consequence...... Like Liverpool fans???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement