Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

confused re photo storage

• 13-04-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have a harddrive with pictures on, that I want to back up. I think cloud is my best option, but might just get another harddrive.

Am I right in thinking that to use dropbox I have to have everything saved on my pc harddrive rather than external? I dont have the space on my pc for that.

But google+, I dont know how to upload without going pic by pic, and I want my folders still available.

Is another drive a better option, so everything doesn't get all jumbled up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Hi Shelly, it is possible to use dropbox on your external hard drive but:

For our advanced users

If you want to put your Dropbox folder on an external drive, proceed with caution:

The Dropbox folder must be available when your computer boots and before the Dropbox desktop application starts. Some USB drives, for example, take some time to mount before your computer recognizes them. The Dropbox desktop application could start before such a drive is ready and get confused. You'll receive an error and Dropbox will give you the opportunity to relink your Dropbox account or exit if it is unable to find your Dropbox folder.
    If the external drive is disconnected from the computer while Dropbox is running, there's a small chance that the application will start deleting files before realizing that the entire drive has been removed. Again: When it comes to using an external drive for your Dropbox folder, tread carefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

shelly6 wrote: »
    I have a harddrive with pictures on, that I want to back up. I think cloud is my best option, but might just get another harddrive.

Am I right in thinking that to use dropbox I have to have everything saved on my pc harddrive rather than external? I dont have the space on my pc for that.

But google+, I dont know how to upload without going pic by pic, and I want my folders still available.

Is another drive a better option, so everything doesn't get all jumbled up?

Google+ is easy. Just install 'Google + Auto Backup' (may already be installed), open its settings and add the folders you want to backup as "Back up Sources". You can set images to backup as full size or at 2048 px. That's it, the rest happens all by itself.

I backed up 60,000 images using this process from my machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

all I can say is buy another external HD and back up to google drive....
    get this program http://www.2brightsparks.com/download-syncbackfree.html which will allow you to sync between the HD's so no need to copy and paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 martindoran

live drive is good , when in oz i used facebook to store all my photos , kinda like cloud but it was painstaikingly boring adding them , depending on the size you need, a external hd 1tb is cheap enough

Advertisement