Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i find items to buy wholesale price to sell????

Options
  • 13-04-2014 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Im looking to start going to carbootsales/markets ect. to sell and make a few bob... i have being looking on Chinese websites for all sorts of things i could buy and sell but i would love to know where else too look, im sure there are places in ireland? or can anyone recommend a website?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Just use google to find wholesalers for whatever type of products you are looking for. There are wholesalers here but its worth looking at the UK based ones too. Here is a site to help you get started http://www.wholesaledirectory.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

Great thanks I will have a look :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

You need to be buying at lower than wholesale prices so need to source overstock and bankrupt lots try this http://www.thetrader.co.uk/

You need to be buying at lower than wholesale prices so need to source overstock and bankrupt lots try this http://www.thetrader.co.uk/

Lovely, thanks very much for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jackos15

Try VolumeRate.com, they are run by DealExtreme so already have cheap prices/ shipping and the more you buy the greater the discount. They also offer free drop shipping which is great if you run an eBay store.

I started off doing this when I was about 16 and a year later I was working directly with manufacturers in China with orders well over 20K.

If you want any other advice just let me know, I've learn so so much over the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Jackos15 wrote: »
    Try VolumeRate.com, they are run by DealExtreme so already have cheap prices/ shipping and the more you buy the greater the discount. They also offer free drop shipping which is great if you run an eBay store.

I started off doing this when I was about 16 and a year later I was working directly with manufacturers in China with orders well over 20K.

If you want any other advice just let me know, I've learn so so much over the past few years.

Can I ask how much would I need to get into this. I am looking to start up something myself? OP hope ya don't mind me barging in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jackos15

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Can I ask how much would I need to get into this. I am looking to start up something myself? OP hope ya don't mind me barging in?

You could start with €1 if you wanted, it's really up to you. Of course the more you buy the cheaper the price but you'll be best off buying a single item off DealExtreme.com, putting it up for sale and see how many people are interested. Before I buy anything I will always put it up for sale and test the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

You could start with €1 if you wanted, it's really up to you. Of course the more you buy the cheaper the price but you'll be best off buying a single item off DealExtreme.com, putting it up for sale and see how many people are interested. Before I buy anything I will always put it up for sale and test the market.

Thanks. Jackos. Have a decent enough job but am eager to work for myself. I will have to put some time in to investigating this as I know nothing about selling. I would have some money to start and know I would enjoy working for myself. The hard part is giving up a safe job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rowela

Hi Jacko, im also looking to start something online for myself and get away from the drudgery of the office lifestyle. I have been doing alot of research lately on selling online but most of the blogs/information are from American sources. There isnt much online on the potential pitfalls of selling online from Ireland.

Are you selling on Ebay, Amazon or do you have your own online store? Have you tried Amazon FBA?

Any advice for a newbie starting off? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I sell online (IT related stuff) and through Ebay. The bulk of my sales come from Britain and as you can imagine there's no shortage of competition.

Most of my stuff is sourced in Britain/China and some is produced by me and all of it is shipped from Ireland. This makes it difficult to compete on price due to ridiculous shipping costs from Ireland to Britain. The reverse is MUCH cheaper. Shipping times are also an issue so I have to be as cheap/cheaper/better than the rest.

It's all down to what you're selling imo. It's a good idea to have knowledge of what you're selling as there's an endless amount of clowns out there.

It can be very lucrative if done right just make sure you are aware of all the costs entailed from Ebay/Paypal etc.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your comment......well done that was a very successful first year for you , I have been buying and selling items from china for the past few years and have not put in an order near 1k let alone 20k. so you are defo doing something right lol.. i sell on ebay and some Irish selling websites however im looking to sell else where, such as car boot sales ,is there anywhere else you can recommend ? where do you find the best place to sell.

I sell online (IT related stuff) and through Ebay. The bulk of my sales come from Britain and as you can imagine there's no shortage of competition.

Most of my stuff is sourced in Britain/China and some is produced by me and all of it is shipped from Ireland. This makes it difficult to compete on price due to ridiculous shipping costs from Ireland to Britain. The reverse is MUCH cheaper. Shipping times are also an issue so I have to be as cheap/cheaper/better than the rest.

It's all down to what you're selling imo. It's a good idea to have knowledge of what you're selling as there's an endless amount of clowns out there.

It can be very lucrative if done right just make sure you are aware of all the costs entailed from Ebay/Paypal etc.

Ebay is a great place to sell there is no doubt, there is a worldwide audience and with Paypal you can get payment instantly which is great,i find adverts and donedeal there are so many timewasters. Just wondering apart from eBay can you recommend other places to sell. also do you mind if i ask how do you produce your own items? do you deal with manufacturers in china?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Ebay is a great place to sell there is no doubt, there is a worldwide audience and with Paypal you can get payment instantly which is great,i find adverts and donedeal there are so many timewasters. Just wondering apart from eBay can you recommend other places to sell. also do you mind if i ask how do you produce your own items? do you deal with manufacturers in china?

I closed my ebay shop, as my items were getting so few views. As there's so many sellers there, it seems (to me) almost impossible to compete with the power/established sellers that are there for such a long time. The fees are also a joke imo - 10% and a monthly fee.

The final straw for me was when I started an auction (as the 'buy it now' items were getting so few views) with no reserve, and it sold for 99c. What a joke! It was worth €20, easily. It got 4 views I think.

Adverts.ie is, as you point out, full of time wasters. But I have sold a few things there, and I'll stick with it for another while yet..

I do find donedeal excellent though. It costs me 81c (after VAT) to run an ad, and I can sometimes get over 250 views. Good, stand-out images are the key.. I always link my website on the ad, and via Google Analytics I can see the donedeal traffic. I also get a lot of phone calls from the ads and buyer's pickup locally.

If you're setting up an eCommerce website, then a Facebook page is imperative. My website is on the shopify platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

I dont want to burst your bubble but items on websites advertised seems to be very expensive .
    E.g HD sat receiver (entered amount of 1000 pcs) comes 64 dollar piece (circa 45 euro) while you can get HD sat receiver retail priced from ebay.ie like 30-35 euro .
    Only way to make some money is to buy bulk directly from factory or China wholesaler what requires a lot (lot-lot) of money to be invested at first place.
    Unless you want to sell just iphone covers and similar its a bit a tricky.
    I sold for a year in ebay.ie but stopped , first of all ebay charges a lot. Then PayPal %. Then you do not forget stupid customers who want to return to you "damaged" items. And then PayPal just frozen my account couple of times for further investigation of this or that and that slows you down too..
    You should try to sell something exclusive and "almost illegal" to succeed.
    Like moonshine distiller pot. Its not illegal to produce and sell and buy items like that.It is illegal to distill moonshine. Manufacture it cheap enough and you sell them with a nice profit.
    I used to buy them from USA and sell them in ebay europe, was fun till customs start to charge me money and then my profits fell down and I never bothered anymore to sell them.But was good fun. And I made per sale after taxes something like 40 euro. Would be good to manufacture them here and then sell and keep all your profits.

Or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rowela

Anyone tried Amazon FBA? You ship all your product to one of their warehouses in the UK and they label it, ship it to the customer, and handle the customer service/returns (for a fee and % of course). This gives you access to their UK/European market and they will also handle your orders through your own website or ebay account.

This cuts out the hastle of storage and leaves you time to concentrate on sourcing product rather than dealing with shipping the items.

I dont know if its cost effective from Ireland though?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 swagger121

I currently sell on Amazon, (not Amazon FBA however). In terms of it being cost effective to sell from Ireland, my business is located along the border. This way, I only sell to the UK, I post the books in Northern Ireland as it costs £2.80 on average. However to post the same book in the south would cost between €7-€10.

If you have any other questions feel free to drop me a PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Question about selling for profit.

Are there rules relating to this in regards to Revenue? Are you allowed to buy something for say €100 and resell it for €150 and not have to pay a tax of some sort (if reselling in the same country/or abroad)?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Are there rules relating to this in regards to Revenue? Are you allowed to buy something for say €100 and resell it for €150 and not have to pay a tax of some sort (if reselling in the same country/or abroad)?

It's fairly safe to assume that if you buy and sell for a profit, there's tax due.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rep man

Other interesting areas to look at in terms of selling would be virtual trade shows and bigcartel.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Question about selling for profit.

Be nice if that wasn't the case i'd make a lot more money! If you are a PAYE earner then you need to declare the additional income separately. I think there might be a token threshold where its not taxable but its quite low if there is.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0039/sec0018.html

schedule D part 1 covers it I think. Doesn't mention any threshold though might be mixing that up with something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

rep man wrote: »
    Other interesting areas to look at in terms of selling would be virtual trade shows and bigcartel.com

Where would I find more info on virtual trade shows - which markets are they strongest in?
    Sounds a really interesting concept.
    ty

Advertisement