Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best org for EFR?

• 14-04-2014 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi Guys,

I am looking to do EFR and was wondering if anyone had recommendations of organisations to do the course with. At the moment I am looking at Medicall Ambulance and Medicore.

Do you have any experience on their course or have any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Just finished the course with Medicore, I would recommend them. Instructors have a vast amount of experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

In theory, anyone offering these courses are phecc approved training institutes and are all of the same standard. Go with the cheapest!

Feedback from people who have sat courses is usually what i go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

If your not in a rush why not join a vol organisation and put in the time with them, get some hands on experience and then certify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

To be honest with a responder level course like the EFR you get back what you put into it. It's a simple syllabus with simple things you need to learn. Getting the OSCE's down is the hardest part for most people so, if you're looking for someone with the best training you'll be looking for a long time. If you do the small amount of study and take notes on the topics that are some bit challenging like medications you'll be fine to do it with anyone.
    If your not in a rush why not join a vol organisation and put in the time with them, get some hands on experience and then certify

This is a good suggestion that can save you ~€400 IF you're actually interested in joining a Vol Org like Irish Red Cross or St. Johns. However usually there is hoops you need jump through to get the course (Duty, attendance, etc.) but they aren't harsh on the hoops either. But as Limericklad mentioned it will also give you some vital experience like confidence when dealing with a casualty or the ability to "see into the future" of your casualties status and prepare for what might come next.

I'd really only worry about one thing when picking an EFR course and that is how many CLASSROOM hours are getting for your money. Classroom hours are vital to learn skills like Collars, Blood Pressure, Spinal Management and so on. The theory is pretty easy to pick up from reading the book and dedicating some time to study from your person life.

I wish you the best with your study :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

I'd also be concerned about maintaining your skill level afterwards

• Advertisement
Advertisement