Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing companies on a 457

Options
  • 14-04-2014 6:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I am currently sponsored on a 457 visa with a company but, for a variety of reasons, decided to search for another job willing to take over my sponsorship. I found one and was completely open with the company from the start about requiring them to take over my sponsorship. So I decided to hand in my notice before I received my official letter of offer as once my 457 was taken over, you are required to stop work immediately for the current company thus I was making sure I was able to work my entire 4 week notice period.
    Since giving in my notice however, I have rang immigration to ask how long the changeover (nomination) would take and they have quoted 2-3 months!! Nearly the length of time the entire 457 application takes to be granted!
    I am just enquiring if anyone out there has had any experience with this as I’m hoping its just a generic, worst-case scenario answer I got from Immi.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Changed twice.

4 days for the first time and 2.5 weeks for the second time.

First company already had ability to nominate. Second company hadn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Yumee

Thanks for the reply!

I'm guessing that was pre July 2013 though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Yumee wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm guessing that was pre July 2013 though?

Yeh sorry forgot to mention last one was May 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

do you go back to square one if you change company?

im nearly 2 years on a 457 should i just wait till i get my pr after the 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

darcy07 wrote: »
    do you go back to square one if you change company?

im nearly 2 years on a 457 should i just wait till i get my pr after the 2 years

Yep, for transitional stream ENS 186 the clock is reset and you start from scratch.

Changing employers on a 457 after the changes last year could potentially be a bit of a minefield.

Personally I wouldn't hand in my notice to an employer until the Nomination has been approved, not all employers are able to sponsor, meet the criteria for benchmarks or LMT after last year. Could all end in tears.

• Advertisement

That's exactly what's happening me at the moment, after handing getting a verbal offer (they didn't give me a letter of offer as they couldnt give a start date until visa changeover was granted) I got a call from the new company saying they may not be able to takeover the sponsorship. Its a reputable company (government organisation) who have sponsored before so I really thought there'd be no problems and handed in my notice with my current company.

I'm thinking the worst now and applying for other job, FIFO even, that might be willing to take on my 457. Otherwise I don't know, go home I guess!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There was really no need to hand in your notice. You could of easily worked away after you had a job offer and the nomination was processing.
    Jumped the gun on that one a bit.

Well actually I thought the nomination may have taken 2-4 weeks as I had read on the internet so I was just trying to do the right thing by my company and work out my full 4 weeks notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

as I had read on the internet

^ That's your problem right there. The Internet is a good starting point but when it comes to things as important as residency (temporary or not) and visas I would defer to a migration agent or immigration lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NiallSORo

Well actually I thought the nomination may have taken 2-4 weeks as I had read on the internet so I was just trying to do the right thing by my company and work out my full 4 weeks notice!

Yumee - I've had nominations back in 1.5-2 weeks recently. Providing all of your (new company's) pieces of paper are in order and they are already set up as a sponsor then this is all it should take.

Niall O'Rourke
    MARN 1277929

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭crazy8

Took my new company, who have a steady stream of 457s, about 3 weeks to confirm the new sponsorship visa once I accepted the job.

Wow thanks guys for this.. I was preparing myself for a long wait, this gives me a bit of hope. The company are very slow at getting my app in as, even though they have sponsored before they have never taken over a sponsorship (which I presumed would be easier!!) I'll let you know how I go incase anyone out there is in a similar position. Fingers crossed it doesn't take long..

Advertisement