Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newpaper Delivery Bikes

• 14-04-2014 7:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember the bikes that used to be all over Dublin with a large open box built around the back of the bike - they used to deliver the Evening Herald & I think they were mostly Lambrettas or Vespas?

I'm looking for photos of them, if anyone has some.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Remember them well...probably the reason i got into bikes in the first place...used to love watching them as i waited for the 46a with me da ,come around the corner from d'olier st onto College green grounding out the boxes on the corner....happy days....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Aparently they are still in action (or back in action?)
    I still cant find any images of the originals.

303105.jpg

303106.jpg

Yeah..no camera phones back then..:)....wonder if the new guys are as "mental" as the old lads....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

They were proper mental....I mean proper. Filtering through the traffic like they were a push bike and you could hear them before you see them like as if they had a performance exhaust or something....wonderful memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

They were Lambretta's as the Vespa's frame and wheelbase was too short.

I've a mate still uses his Lambretta, with a spare out the back but most are using Piaggio four strokes now.

From memory the Evening Press had a lot more of them operating out of Princess Street than the Herald had.

You can still see some of the Herald lads operating out of Hill Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

There are still a few of them around. Saw one out cherry orchard direction last month or the month before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

See them on Cook Street at lunchtime getting their deliveries for the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

There was one for sale on adverts a few weeks ago, I think it was about 350 quid :) it's prob still up for sale, if it is you could contact the seller and ask if you could take pictures

There was one for sale on adverts a few weeks ago, I think it was about 350 quid :) it's prob still up for sale, if it is you could contact the seller and ask if you could take pictures

You'd have to dress down of course...manky Barbour/Belstaff waxy,open-face lid, oil-skin legging, Doc-Martins.....oh...dont forget the Woodbine.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

• Advertisement

That looks like a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Here's an old thread on biker with a few pictures on it:
    http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=163841&pp=40

Cool. Unfortunately I can't see the photos as I'm not a forum member there. I'd appreciate if anyone could repost them here, or pm them to me. Ta.

There ya go.....1956....:eek:...BEFORE MY TIME..;)

Check out the "battle" damage on the colour pic....

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for. Great memories of them buzzing around Dublin...

Advertisement