Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weedkiller advice/recommendations

• 14-04-2014 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

What is the best, most economical weedkiller that I could buy to spray on a huge area prior to planting (not veg)

Was browsing in a store at weekend but am totally confused with all on display
    I decided to come back and ask you guys.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Go to a co-op or an ag merchant. Buy 5 litres of generic Roungup, e.g. Glyophos, for about 30 to 35 euro. That'll treat a very large area. You'll need a knapsack sprayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Rosate 36 ... About €35 / 5 litres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

As above just out of interest what are you planting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

And with roundup etc, just use the recommended amount. Usually about 60 to 1.

i think it's 40:1 for Rosate

• Advertisement

Yeah maybe look at the rates, if the rate is 40:1 and cheaper then 60:1 then you might not be actually getting cheaper buying the cheaper priced 40:1 but then if you only buying small amount it doesn't matter so much.
    In greenkeeping we'd put some dye in so we could we were we sprayed correctly.

depending on what you are spraying ; milk might do the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

Thanks a million for all the great advice.
    My husband ended up buying roundup pro active before I had a chance to talk about other products.so i have the later bottle here, he's at work and I can't make head nor tail of the instructions!!

You'll mix it with water, usually 60 parts water to one part roundup. Then you spray it on, you want a mist on the plants to die. Only get it on what you want to die, don't walk where you've sprayed until it dries in, or you might carry it onto areas on your feet that you don't want to die, like a lawn. Today is a good day, not overly windy and no rain. Best do on a nice dry day so it doesn't get washed off the weeds or whatever plant you want to die. It gets taken in by the plant so it is good to do when the plant is growing, systemic it's called I think. So nearly the healthier your weeds are the better it'll work, so don't go weeding and then spray. It takes a while to work, but within a week you should see the weeds changing colour, going a bit yellow. Might take little longer depending how warm it is and how much things are growing.
    Just wash out your sprayer really well after and you can use it for other things.
    If you need a sprayer, I got a little 5 litre one in lidl for ten euro.
    As a rough guide, if you had 5 litre sprayer and filled it, you'd have only 83ml of roundup need in it for 60 to 1 mix. I'd put in 100ml as it's easier to measure usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

depending on what you are spraying ; milk might do the same job.

this i never heard of before but dos it work??

• Advertisement

Abceire you're a star I really appreciate you going to the trouble to explain. I've a 15 litre knapsack.

And wear a mask, gloves , Wellies , long sleeves etc !

barney4001 wrote: »
    this i never heard of before but dos it work??

I only got the advise after I sprayed 1/2 acre !!

Abceire you're a star I really appreciate you going to the trouble to explain. I've a 15 litre knapsack.

Thanks everyone. Area is all sprayed now. I'm delighted. Can't wait yo get planting in few weeks time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Glebee

Quick one guys. I take it you can't use round up to kill off weeds in an area to be used for vegtable planting in a few weeks. What should be used???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Glebee wrote: »
    Quick one guys. I take it you can't use round up to kill off weeds in an area to be used for vegtable planting in a few weeks. What should be used???

If you're planning on growing veg my advice would be to dig the weeds up.

You're getting rid of the weeds and also turning over the soil and releasing more nutrients.

You should also dig in some well-rotted manure to boost the soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭thimble

deandean wrote: »
    Go to a co-op or an ag merchant. Buy 5 litres of generic Roungup, e.g. Glyophos, for about 30 to 35 euro. That'll treat a very large area. You'll need a knapsack sprayer.
    Can anyone recommend a co-op/ag merchant in Dublin - or other suggestions for getting glyphosphate at a reasonable price?
    Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 marc_faber

What is the best, most economical weedkiller that I could buy to spray on a huge area prior to planting (not veg)

Was browsing in a store at weekend but am totally confused with all on display
    I decided to come back and ask you guys.....

mix 50 ml of grazon 90 and 50 ml of roundup in 5 litres of water but make sure to wear a mask while mixing , strictly speaking your not supposed to mix those products but ive done it and its much more effective than round up on its own

Glebee wrote: »
    I've a farmer friend, they spray round up on the barley before the harvest it. I was shocked, but he said it's a usual practice, it kills all the grass, the grass bring would otherwise bring up the moisture content of the crop, then the co op would have to dry it more, the less moist the crop the more he gets for it.
    So you'd be fine spraying with round up first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

abceire wrote: »
    I've a farmer friend, they spray round up on the barley before the harvest it. I was shocked, but he said it's a usual practice, it kills all the grass, the grass bring would otherwise bring up the moisture content of the crop, then the co op would have to dry it more, the less moist the crop the more he gets for it.
    So you'd be fine spraying with round up first.

Jesus Christ no wonder half the country has cancer. Unbelievable.... but as long as he gets more money for it who cares!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

They also do the same with oilseed rape although that is to ripen the crop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

marc_faber wrote: »
    mix 50 ml of grazon 90 and 50 ml of roundup in 5 litres of water but make sure to wear a mask while mixing , strictly speaking your not supposed to mix those products but ive done it and its much more effective than round up on its own

Be very careful on two fronts.
    Mixing these chemicals can be very dangerous and not all masks give enough protection. Buy the right mask.

Also. Roundup is neutralised when it falls on the soil (according to the label) and so it safe to plant near immediately, although I don't like the idea. But Grazon 90 is a very different compound and I've not seen where ground can immediately used for crops. You need to check this thouroghly before following the advice above. Personally I wouldn't spray Grazon90 on a veg plot, but perhaps it's safe.

Jesus Christ no wonder half the country has cancer. Unbelievable.... but as long as he gets more money for it who cares!
    This blanket statement I find hard to read, what are you basing this knowledge on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

abceire wrote: »
    This blanket statement I find hard to read, what are you basing this knowledge on?
    While on the face of it I'd agree that that statement could appear to look abit extreme, in all likelyhood it is probably a true statemant, although without documented evidence, it will never be taken seriously.
    It's hardly that big of a leap to put the two together, i.e. weedkiller on crops used for human consumption equals cancer, but perhaps that's too big of a leap for some to take.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

While on the face of it I'd agree that that statement could appear to look abit extreme, in all likelyhood it is probably a true statemant, although without documented evidence, it will never be taken seriously.
    It's hardly that big of a leap to put the two together, i.e. weedkiller on crops used for human consumption equals cancer, but perhaps that's too big of a leap for some to take.

Can you show me the studies on the causative effects of weedkillers on human cancer cells?

....In a PM...this is Gardening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

chopper6 wrote: »
    Can you show me the studies on the causative effects of weedkillers on human cancer cells?

....In a PM...this is Gardening.
    I can't so therefore it must not be true, correct?.

My point is not that it is or isn't true, just that is as likely to be true or not true when you've no evidence at all.
    Farmers are monitored a lot, it's is not that he hides this practice, it's a common practice. But I do take that it's a shocking practice to many, it was to me too when I heard it first.
    But maybe think about people with cancer, if you nothing about it or the treatments of cancer, ◾chemotherapy is poison more or less. If you knew very little about chemotherapy and how it worked, you might assume putting poison into a sick person who has cancer, you'd not se this as a good idea.
    I'm not really trying to prove any point, more saying don't make blanket assumptions.
    Who wants to go research it and fill us in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

I dont have any evidence to back it up. It will probably be the generations after us that will have it and all the problems to prove it. I heard a cancer doctor on the radio one day and they are predicting a 20% increase in cancer rates by 2050. I didnt hear him say what was causing it. Not to mind all the increases in other diseases such as autoimmunne diseases which have been linked to chemicals.
    I am not looking for an argument here at all but people need to be very careful with this crap its poison... what harm is it doing to the insects and the wildlife? Why is there so many specises red listed that the next generations will never be able to see first hand?
    I apologise for rambling on in the garden forum about this but its your gardens and a least you have control of what is happening on your own patch!

Just to put it into perspective how much of it we are getting daily.... The farmer sprays the field to kill the grass and weeds,the seed is treated,it might get chemical to help it grow,it gets insecticide and fungus treatment,some round up before harvesting,more insecticide at the factory, stored in plastic and God only knows what else in between.I have seen first hand stuff going into food products and chemicals dont dissolve it keeps circulating and gathering in the environment and us.

So please please be careful with this stuff and I apologise for this rant in the garden forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It's one of many appropriate forums for such a discussion. Funny how expressing opinions like this is often taken as 'ranting'.
    Was once the same with tobacco and global warming.

Advertisement