Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trimming Willows : is it too late???

• 14-04-2014 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I have some willows (4 and 5 years old) in a particularly wet piece of ground.
    They have budded and there are leaves on them.
    Is it now too late in the year to trim them back?
    I was told they have to be cut before budding by one person and another said they can be cut anytime as they are so resilient.
    If I can trim them, would the cuttings (4 to 5 foot long rods) grow if I just stuck them in the (permanently) wet ground considering the time of year.
    Any advice would be most appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

spring and autumn are the least optimum times to prune a tree. mid Summer is the next least optimum, with mid winter being the optimum time to prune.

Yes it is amazing what trees can recover from.

It is really too late for the rods, but if you prune the willows try it. I use 2-3 foot straight rods (in about a foot) as they avoid the top height of grasses and in my experience the slugs can get to the top height of the grass on the rods and eat the small leaves. The soil is still quite soft to allow this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

I have some willows (4 and 5 years old) in a particularly wet piece of ground.
    They have budded and there are leaves on them.
    Is it now too late in the year to trim them back?
    I was told they have to be cut before budding by one person and another said they can be cut anytime as they are so resilient.
    If I can trim them, would the cuttings (4 to 5 foot long rods) grow if I just stuck them in the (permanently) wet ground considering the time of year.
    Any advice would be most appreciated.
    Thanks

I pollarded some of my trees on early spring last year, coppiced others. The one's that had a few branches with buds left did a lot better than those cut further down. But theyre catching up now.
    I'd say over 50% of your offcuts will take.

Advertisement